Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions about temperatures (extract related)  (Read 693 times)

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions about temperatures (extract related)
« on: January 11, 2009, 08:13:28 am »

So, Let's suppose I make an injectable venom.
Say this venom is extremely hot. Will (or better, how can i make) whatever I inject it into burst into flames?
Another probably dumb question, but how EXACTLY does item corpse work? I'm really bad at reading the wiki properly. Let's assume I want something that will boil the skin of everything living within a 5x5 area on death.
Possible?
Thanks in advance;
SINCERELY, THE POON
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about temperatures (extract related)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 08:26:48 am »

Wait.
Can I make bone weapons that are part of my creature?

Specifically, I recall somewhere a group of people discussing the possibility of a flaming arm weapon or something...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:41:55 am by PoonHat »
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:12 am »

Okay.
More specifically, HOW in the hell could I build a crossbow into a creature to make it so that it can fire bolts...
but more specifically flaming bolts.
?
Any clue, whatsoever?
Because i'm losing sleep over this and I will lose focus later.
nobody of great interest

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:28:23 am »

So, Let's suppose I make an injectable venom.
Say this venom is extremely hot. Will (or better, how can i make) whatever I inject it into burst into flames?

Tried this myself a while ago. Repeatedly. Didn't work. Probably because venom isn't actually considered "inside" the recipient. Might change "soon," Toady's going to be reworking venom and mucking around with diseases.

Another probably dumb question, but how EXACTLY does item corpse work? I'm really bad at reading the wiki properly. Let's assume I want something that will boil the skin of everything living within a 5x5 area on death.
Possible?

I don't think you can do it like that, but you can give them an itemcorpse that produces a cloud of freezing doom (not boiling doom, but still a form of death). You can't change the size of the gas cloud, as far as I know (if I remember correctly, the cloud extends about 2-3 tiles in each cardinal direction, forming a diamond-shape).

Give it this tag:

[ITEMCORPSE:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:DEATH]

And add this stone to your stone raws (matgloss_stone_mineral.txt, I believe, though technically you can put it in any of the four matgloss_stone files; it's the tags of the entries that determine the type of the stone, not the location):

[MATGLOSS_STONE:DEATH]
[NAME:death][COLOR:5:7:1][TILE:'H']
[ITEM_SYMBOL:'*']
[VALUE:1500]
[MELTING_POINT:0]
[BOILING_POINT:1]
[SOLID_DENSITY:1]

Increasing the density MIGHT cause the cloud to expand slower and last longer, but that was a long time ago and I might have just had wildly varying FPS when I tried that.

If you give it an environment, you'll get veins or clusters of it that explode when you mine them out, but caravans (the dwarves in particular) will also randomly explode once in a while. Not that that's necesarily a "bad" thing, but it gets irritating after a while.

You can't make a weapon part of a creature. You can make weapons out of creature parts (especially if that part is a bone), but not the former.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:33:56 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »

Damn.
Thanks though.
nobody of great interest

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 12:55:39 am »

hate to revive an old topic, worse to make a new one for a similar question;
What if I were to make the creature drop a wooden item that bursts into flame on spawn, but name it something that isn't wood (ashes) perhaps, would this work?
nobody of great interest

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 01:11:32 am »

That would only affect creatures that step on the tile that the creature was on. Currently the best option for an exploding creature is the freezing cloud, and yes, changing the solid density will cause the cloud to expand slower and last longer. You could also change the boiling point to create a cloud that just slightly damaged dwarves.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 01:20:52 am »

well, wouldn't it spread the fire to any flammable objects nearby?
nobody of great interest

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 02:49:16 am »

well, wouldn't it spread the fire to any flammable objects nearby?
Simple answer? Not everything. Not likely (except grass)

I've been looking, but no one seems to have any good numbers on the interactions between spec_heat and fires. Just that some fires will ignite some things but not others. Like cloth vs. leather vs. trees.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]