Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chemical reactions -- PH levels  (Read 940 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Chemical reactions -- PH levels
« on: December 27, 2006, 05:40:00 am »

A suggestion with a huge impact, if and when chemicals are introduced into dwarf fortress (Alchemy workshop uses, wink wink nudge nudge, eh?) they should give the player a huge amount of new options.

For example, i've been reading about limestone on Wikipedia, and apparently it reacts violently to acidic compounds. So, it could be possible to destroy limestone objects if acids are ever made and/or sold in fortress and/or adventure mode. The same goes for rubbing /dumping basic compounds on acidic objects /liquids.

Now, it doesn't need to be complex and have Zinc combine with Hydrochloric acid and result in zinc chloride and hydrogen fumes... It could be as strait-forward as a PH system, where 7 is neutral (pure water) and the extremes of the scale (was it 0-14... 15?) are basic /acidic. If the difference is too extreme between objects, they destroy eachother, or just the more neutral one and damage the stronger one.

The outside /underground river could also have PH levels, which could influence farming -- if the mud from the river is too extreme in PH nothing will grow; so using the other water source would be necessary. Maybe if the underground river is acidic, there could be no limestone lining at all, and if it's super-corrosive, dwarves wouldn't swim -- they'd dissolve!     :D ]

[ December 27, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chemical reactions -- PH levels
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 09:28:00 am »

I dunno, even for this game that seems to be reaching just to make things more complex. But having the alchemist brew up some "acid fall" traps at the workshop, requires the acid and a glass bucket

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 06:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Dumping limestone or chalk into the acidic river could turn the river to a neutral PH.
</STRONG>

I just had the most interesting mental image of a chain-gang of Dwarves in gasmasks and protective suits hauling blocks of mineral along and flinging them into a steaming, virulent-looking river.

I love my mind.

Didn't know there was an acidic river, though.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:54:00 pm »

This sort of thing would be great for certain, obvious reactions- but not something that should ever be forced upon a player to manage.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 04:15:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rakoth:
<STRONG>

Didn't know there was an acidic river, though.</STRONG>

LOL, Come to Pennsylvania sometime, and you can see a number of acid rivers and streams! The same is true for other coal producing states. Coalpile + rain = Sulferic acid runoff. Put that into streams and rivers, and you get yellow rivers that kill everything near or in them. They wont melt people or metal, but they can give mild chemical burns, and corrode metal in months instead of years. And it can take thousands of tons of limestone, and decades of time, to bring the PH back to nuetral, just for a small stream.

ho watches those that watch us???

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 11:16:57 am »

I like the idea, you could get some really cool caves, and if there were fish that could only survive in acide? :D
The great game of Warlocks!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 11:27:58 am »

normal ph is rated fom 0-14, but is technically not bounded (since it is a representation of relative density of hydrogen ions)...I digress.

The use of the PH concept (as well as most 'modern' chemistry) breaks the boundaries set by Toady on the technological level of the game. The PH scale in particular was developed in 1909.

The existence of acid and its use is not out of the question, however. Likewise for simple bases.

I just think that this is, by in large, too much complexity for very little return.

ACK - I just assisted in necromancy...damnit.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:29:35 am by Othob Rithol »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:01:57 pm »

I want lye to get rid of the bodies faster, and without miasma. Or to put a trapdoor over for the live ones.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 12:48:54 pm »

The use of the PH concept (as well as most 'modern' chemistry) breaks the boundaries set by Toady on the technological level of the game. The PH scale in particular was developed in 1909.

Acidity and alkalinity still existed before the pH scale was developed, you know. That's like saying that heat didn't exist before we had ways to measure it.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 06:06:07 pm »

He goes on to say that the use of them is not out of the question, so I suppose he does know.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 01:51:46 am »

francium and acid anyone?
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 08:00:06 am »

I want lye to get rid of the bodies faster, and without miasma. Or to put a trapdoor over for the live ones.

Quicklime is a better candidate for that, traditionally speaking. Limestone -> Kiln -> quicklime

Acidity and alkalinity still existed before the pH scale was developed, you know. That's like saying that heat didn't exist before we had ways to measure it.

Yes but rather than items having a pH they could either be neutral, or be mild/strong acid/base.