Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Rules of Vagueness - an artefact thread? - ECCStE B-001  (Read 8014 times)

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rules of Vagueness - an artefact thread? - ECCStE B-001
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 11:55:15 pm »

I like the above, except instead of noble freedomfighters, working to liberate the proletariat, we could have a cynical bunch of power hungry capitalists, trying to overthow the current government to further their own goal.

and then we can make a conspirator who has gained a conscience and decided to covertly work against his brethern, for the good of his city state. and that will give us some lee way on who we want to make the good guys, as it were.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 01:41:32 am »

Ok, i got an idea: it's on a teraformed Mars (earth an uninhabited nuclear wateland, mars a green utopia of geneticaly eginered lifeforms covering the ruins of supertech cities), hard scifi, there are people on the surface that are intelligent and forward-striving whit steampunkish tech, mildly superhuman so maybe extra healthy and an average IQ of 130, there live other people in orbital supertech stations who have supertech which they believe is magic and also a "magic detector" linked to some fancy weapon systems so if someone makes a transistor or a cathode ray or anything other that use electric currents that change that fast-ish the entire area gets obliterated for several miles around. the plot is some scientist that manages to make a spacecraft and fly up and punch them in the face. The orbital people are oldschool humans, believing in racial purity and are quite inbreed.
Combine this whit all the other suggestions.

What do you think? this is only a suggestion to serve as further inspiration.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 02:11:45 am »

and we could have those who lived in the orbital stations a fanatically religious, deeply ritualistic and organic people (possibly called "orbitals"). and those on the surface (maybe "Martians" or "surface dwellers") would be forward, like Armok said, forward thinking and genetically superior, but also bureaucratic and unsympathetic. both would be intolerant of any who don't follow their respective ways of life, and as such have slowly lost face with one another. and as things stand now they are on the brink of civil war.

and possibly, we could make earth, long thought by both factions to be a lawless and comparatively primitive place, attack without warning (earth would have become militant and totalitarian, much like what americans thought soviet russia to be). causing our two factions to form a tenuous alliance out of necessity.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 08:25:12 pm »

or we could have those who lived in the orbital stations a fanatically religious, deeply ritualistic and organic people (possibly called "orbitals"). and those on the surface (maybe "Martians" or "surface dwellers") would be forward, like Armok said, forward thinking and genetically superior, but THE POLITICAL LEADERS bureaucratic and unsympathetic. both would have no knowledge of each other, or possibly the orbital think of the surface dwellers as spearwelding savages, while the plot revolves around the surface dwellers discovering the orbitals thought telescopes and spacecraft. Earth would be uninhabited
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 09:39:31 pm »

Better yet, a rogue AI on earth with a smal population of robots(no nanobot tech, but superior in other aspects).
It detects the humans as a threat and will build forces to crush them UNLESS the humans can convince it to stop.
Eh?
Eh!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2009, 09:42:03 pm »

ok, that could work.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 09:00:56 pm »

Can't let this die off so soon...
Eh?
Eh!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 09:44:14 pm »

so, anyone have more suggestions? I would but I've already contributed to far a percentage so far and more by the same person might ruin the experiment.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2009, 02:13:48 am »

let's move on to characters, my forte...  ::)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2009, 12:22:54 am »

Why did this die? :(

I suggest the Protagonist should be a female engineer Martian, kinda similar to that mechanic in Disney's Atlantis when it comes to personality and looks.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2009, 12:26:27 am »

It died because people's ideas didn't get used and other ideas that they were uninterested in did. And stuff like the protagonist being a female martian from a Disney movie.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »

I would say that what happened is that the suggestors are waiting for others to add to the story, or start it off, but others simply aren't posting, or more likely are waiting in case more background is created.

Since  istill don't know what people think:
AI or no AI?
If AI, we need to develop it slightly, at least a hint of backstory that can be expanded later.

We also need a rough cultural summary and extrapolation on all that will be used.

Such developments would cement the current ideas and make it easier for people to post their ideas, since they are based on "fact" instead of ideas.
Eh?
Eh!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 09:16:02 pm »

I could simply decide all that, but it would ruin the purpose of the thread...
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 09:18:46 pm »

Exactly. As major contributors, neither of us will be able to continue the story until an outsider confirms or denies that it sounds good.
SOMEBODY, PLEASE CONTRIBUTE.
ANYTHING SENSABLE.
Eh?
Eh!

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2009, 06:39:07 am »

Exactly. As major contributors, neither of us will be able to continue the story until an outsider confirms or denies that it sounds good.
SOMEBODY, PLEASE CONTRIBUTE.
ANYTHING SENSABLE.

There should be DINOSAURS with ROCKET LAUNCHERS.

But for the question of WHY the AI wants to destroy all humans? Jealousy? Revenge for a loved one? (Someone dropping a flash drive with the loved AI down a canyon and the AI thinking all humans did that on purpose? With the people on the planet eventually finding and using it, for a tearful reunion just before the giant space laser is fired.)
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4