Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Rules of Vagueness - an artefact thread? - ECCStE B-001  (Read 8024 times)

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rules of Vagueness - an artefact thread? - ECCStE B-001
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 03:01:43 am »

I ment that the prophecy would be one of the wrong interpretations.

And I agree post-apocalypse underground dwellers is to clique. If you really want postapocalyptic what about them living not on earth? Maybe in giant space stations (large enough to not need tech to keep the ecosystem going) or on a transformed [any planet or moon except march or earth]?
I'd still prefer fantasy, or other-universe (otherwise diametrically opposite examples of this: Star Wars or Noctis) scifi.

And I think one story is challenge enough.

I just got an idea: what if we make the story they worship something like say... Nist Akath?

nist akath, as in the community fort?
how would that work?

I still think we should create something mundane so that we can control the flow of the story. but I am but one voice.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 03:15:09 am »

Mundane how? I'm not sure which you mean but about half of the possible meanings I agree on.

And whit that I'm of for today, please continue without me.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 03:23:25 am »

I think we should start with a setting and flesh it out from there. Right now we're just talking about one facet of the culture we want in the setting.

How about a stone age culture setting, but where philosophical thought has advanced beyond the stone age? We can make the entire story a metaphor for searching for truth by having the main character talk to a bunch of other characters who all represent distinct philosophies?

I'm tired. Someone coherent should be doing this.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 03:25:26 am »

I'm thinking, steampunk.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 12:22:50 pm »

Massive steampunk empire with barbarian hordes at the borders and a clearly insane ruler?

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 03:24:41 pm »

There's nothing better than steampunk. Insane ruler, eh? Anyone read Wind on Fire?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 03:34:56 pm »

I have an idea. Set the story in a steampunk setting on a different planet that was colonized by humans many centuries ago. For some reason, they lost a lot of technology. They are also deeply religious and their holy book is a comic book which forbids them from advancing further than steam, since anything more advanced is Evil with a capital E, as evidenced by the cruel anti-god, Master Computer, that is a central feature of the holy book's story.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 03:52:04 pm »

How about humanity has no knowledge of the apocalypse? They have read in the Sacred Bat-Man Texts (or whatever) about the trials and battles of the gods in heaven. Groups are being sent to investigate and, if possible, enter heaven (read, the surface).

Pale, bewildered men and women crawl out of tunnels, notice the lack of a ceiling and the horrible blinding light, plot advancement ensues.
Perhaps they ought to think that an apocalypse happened and that the surface is uninhabitable, only to discover the contrary when they find our modern society when they are conviced that this "holy text" is instructing them to go to the surface.

Hmmm... Is it me, or does that sound even more cliche? I thought I'd share anyway.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 04:38:01 pm »

Well, it's serious-ish, so I guess incorporating as many cliches as possible isn't a good idea.

But we need Master Computer. That's the best idea for an evil god ever.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 05:20:16 pm »

to Armok: by mundane I mean that, when you take something that in itself is mundane, or has the appearance of something mundane, such as a comic book for example, and you instill it with such mystical power and importance that it leaves it's original roots and becomes something more transformed by those who look to it for guidence. it is very, very, powerful when accomplish, and is about ten times as hard to do when you have to bend an existing piece of literature to your will

and when I say steampunk, I'm thinking less focus on steam powered gadgets and vehicles, and more on a society with victorian technology, that through it's own totalitarian ignorance and backwardness, refuses to come out of the dark age it has relegated itself to for so long. (if anyone has read Ghormengast, that's a good example)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 08:17:40 pm »

I have an idea. Set the story in a steampunk setting on a different planet that was colonized by humans many centuries ago. For some reason, they lost a lot of technology. They are also deeply religious and their holy book is a comic book which forbids them from advancing further than steam, since anything more advanced is Evil with a capital E, as evidenced by the cruel anti-god, Master Computer, that is a central feature of the holy book's story.
That... Actually sounds at least better than most of the other ideas that have been suggested.

to Armok: by mundane I mean that, when you take something that in itself is mundane, or has the appearance of something mundane, such as a comic book for example, and you instill it with such mystical power and importance that it leaves it's original roots and becomes something more transformed by those who look to it for guidence. it is very, very, powerful when accomplish, and is about ten times as hard to do when you have to bend an existing piece of literature to your will

and when I say steampunk, I'm thinking less focus on steam powered gadgets and vehicles, and more on a society with victorian technology, that through it's own totalitarian ignorance and backwardness, refuses to come out of the dark age it has relegated itself to for so long. (if anyone has read Ghormengast, that's a good example)
Good ideas, generaly my definition of steampunk is basically "magic that looks like technology" or "technology were the design is from a much earlier period than how well it preforms it's function".
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 08:27:48 pm »

I have an idea. Set the story in a steampunk setting on a different planet that was colonized by humans many centuries ago. For some reason, they lost a lot of technology.
They could have lost their technology if the original colonists crashed and were forgotten. At any rate, I second Boksi's proposal.

(I'm really trying to be serious, so if that's stupid as well, it's not intentional.)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 09:18:08 pm »

I would say that having a hidden (orbital? super-subterranean? surface? alternate dimension? pocket reality?) group of people with the more advanced technology(microchips, robotics) but no concept of how any of the steampunk stuff works or really any advanced mechanics, since they live in a world of self-replicating nanobots and "magic" unlimited power, and supercomputers the size of a dime. They have the technology, but don't know a thing about how it works. Also, they could have a library or something that they don't care about or understand that the steamies could that may describe advanced technology.

Bonus for a matrix-like virtual reality.

Also, what of the overal plot?
Could they have gotten a message that in one year they would be attacked, and need a solution by then?
Eh?
Eh!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 09:19:57 pm »

I would say that having a hidden (orbital? super-subterranean? surface? alternate dimension? pocket reality?) group of people with the more advanced technology(microchips, robotics) but no concept of how any of the steampunk stuff works or really any advanced mechanics, since they live in a world of self-replicating nanobots and "magic" unlimited power, and supercomputers the size of a dime. They have the technology, but don't know a thing about how it works. Also, they could have a library or something that they don't care about or understand that the steamies could that may describe advanced technology.
Awesome.

Edit: I've discovered an interesting trend in this thread already: people come whit suggestions, but instead of one being chosen they all seem to be clumped together in one big chaotic misfit lump of awesome.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:23:57 pm by Armok »
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 09:43:55 pm »

What I wonder is this: Is it possible for people to come up with ideas, write a story, then self-publish said sort on www.lulu.com to make it appear NOT a total waste of time?

Also, what of the overal plot?

The people within this society are rebelling against the current monarch of this new society, to replace him with a new monarchical dyansty. The king needs to find a way to survive the rebellion, and eventually discovers an EVIL CONSPIRACY. His only hope...to meet up with the Gods themselves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Master Computer? Oh no, I'm sure you mean Friend Computer.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:49:06 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4