Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Rules of Vagueness - an artefact thread? - ECCStE B-001  (Read 8018 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
The Rules of Vagueness - an artefact thread? - ECCStE B-001
« on: January 11, 2009, 12:29:17 am »

First of all, no silliness and spamming, this is a serious thread and the concept is similar to ECCStE A-001.

---

Rules:
The ruleset is equal to what the general consensus is that most participants think are the rules. It is similar to nomic in that changing the rules is a valid move and that people can suggest rule changes and decisions, in difference to Nomic it is driven by a sociology experiment thingy rather than legislate.
Everyone can suggest any kind of decition or rulechange, and then evryone van voice their opinion on it, the rule or decition come into effect "when it has ben throughtly discused, and most peaple agree on what to do" meaning that the ruleset will be different for different peaple depending on their deffenition of "throughtly discused" and their estimation of how many are in the game and what those peaple think. This is suposed to mimic the behavior seen in arising socities, were rules are not writen on paper but made by mutal agreement wich evrybody is to judge by themselves. This also means that "tradition" shuld be respeted whitin the thread and that generaly it's SUPOSED to be messy, but still genrate a good story.
The goal of evryone participating ion the thread shuld be to generate a good story, to get it going I'll establish some staring sugestions.

---

Staring rules/suggestions:

Silliness and spamming is frowned upon.
Images and ASCII art is welcome.
this should be a serious story.
either fantasy or science fiction?
There is a single text that is Canon, there can also be OOC data similar to an RPG.
People can make characters and control them, they should make some kind of sheet.
There is no Gm as of now, no any other authority, but you are free to officially give extra weight to my opinions as this is my idea.
Virtues: Consistency, Awesome, Drama, Balance, Plot. Sins: Silliness, trying to take over the thread or being of topic, letting the thread die, going against what has been established about the world.
feel free to add more suggestions.
Everything is a suggestion, something being a legit move makes it assumed that silence means approval, while everything that isn't explicitly a legit move needs the approval of at least some people first.
Try to be clear.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
Re: The Rules of Vagueness - an artefact thread? - ECCStE B-001
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 12:41:35 am »

Likot was a
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 12:56:19 am »

((I said the concept was similar, maybe I wasn't clear wich concept: the concept of the community as an superorganismy thing making the story without any individual author, not the concept of everyone adding a litle bit of text to the story, we should begin whit metadecisions such as structure, setting, plot, and important characters etc. or coming up whit more rules as I pointedly left blank spots for others to fill in.
If someone wants some guidance, this developing similar to BotG or Valios RPG structure wise might partially work, people could suggest templates for places or characters (example: dnd character sheet) and species (example: DF raws) and then whoever wants to create one of those has to fill in the template. once a serious number of elements have been decided we can start creating text. And in difference to A-001 there is no requirement on chronological writing, so it could be possible to have it more similar to how a book gets written, or not. or we could go whit the "add three words" approach Splendiferous began because this text wall is just a suggestion to.))
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 01:04:45 am »

Suggestion: The setting? Something contrived.

Quote from: overdone example
A far-future world where technology has drifted back into the middle ages and magic has become a reality as the result of a catastrophic meteorite impact in the past. A game manual for Final Fantasy 1 was one of the few artifacts left from the modern world. Society has been divided into 7 groups: (list off FF1 classes, including evil knight who will "knock you all down")...

And so on. Something outlandish, but also clear.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 01:07:27 am »

That's a valid suggestion, thought PERSONALLY I vote against anything that doesn't keep scifi and fantasy separate, or that feature something as pop-cultural as FF as plot central.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 01:20:02 am »

I apologize my haste; I sped-read

anyway, even though you most likely meant it as a passing example, I think the idea of a future society looking back on an arbitrary piece of throwaway literature for guidance and a source of reverence could be brilliant. although, maybe something that can contain a little more symbolism, such as a comic book, with the super-heroes acting as a sort of pantheon of ancient gods.
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 01:24:31 am »

Yes, that might work, and then it could be a plot element how it could partially be re-enacted, that being interpreted as prophesy, but then it turns out that if it DID came to pass as in the book the heroes will loose, but some side character breaks them out of that and the ending is completely original?

Edit: i'd prefer something other than Marvel comics thou, maybe some webcomic.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 01:31:24 am »

I think that that's a great idea. I'd definitely support a society looking back on a comic book as some kind of ancient holy text.

How about humanity retreating from the surface of the earth after a cataclysmic nuclear war? Now almost all of humanity lives deep underground, and most humans are deeply photophobic. The technological level is relatively modern, but with industries needing extreme organization and resources having been abandoned (nobody's making microchips). Think picks and hardhats.

Some humans have either inherited a genetic predisposition towards liking sunlight or have spent enough time above the ground to adapt to the light. The surface world is a hostile, dangerous place, and most humans have never visited it.

Insert plot.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:33:59 am »

It COULD work, but A-001 already did postapocalyptic.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:38:59 am »

Yes, that might work, and then it could be a plot element how it could partially be re-enacted, that being interpreted as prophesy, but then it turns out that if it DID came to pass as in the book the heroes will loose, but some side character breaks them out of that and the ending is completely original?

Edit: i'd prefer something other than Marvel comics thou, maybe some webcomic.

or there is no prophecy, and the different tribes order there hierachies according to what is "in the book." if done right, in the hands of a skilled writer, "the book" which is really just a comic, could take on a mystical quality that turns it into something else entirely. and maybe this future society would misunderstand parts of the book, and there would be wars fought over it's interpretation, much like with current religion.

tomorrow I believe I will compose and post a writing sample to convey what I'm trying to communicate, if that's okay with you, Armok.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 01:40:28 am »

How about humanity has no knowledge of the apocalypse? They have read in the Sacred Bat-Man Texts (or whatever) about the trials and battles of the gods in heaven. Groups are being sent to investigate and, if possible, enter heaven (read, the surface).

Pale, bewildered men and women crawl out of tunnels, notice the lack of a ceiling and the horrible blinding light, plot advancement ensues.

We could even make it a sequel to the second one. That'd be cool. Besides, it's a very different type of postapocalyptic. The last one took place during the apocalypse. This one takes place long after.

Ultimate revelation? Humanity learns of the apocalypse, and the reality of their dead, twisted gods.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 01:47:05 am »

um, I think it would be better if we created our own comic, rather than try to mold and convert an existing one. that way wee could add all the elements we needed into it.

also, post-apocalypse underground dwellers is a bit... cliche, don't you think?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 01:57:15 am »

Not if they eat food made out of soy and plankton and battle with mole-people.

Good idea for an original comic book. How about the first parts (chapters?) of the story are either in the form of the comic book we make for this, a description of someone reading it, or a description of it's events?

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot lentils. Soy, lentils, and plankton.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 02:04:35 am »

I ment that the prophecy would be one of the wrong interpretations.

And I agree post-apocalypse underground dwellers is to clique. If you really want postapocalyptic what about them living not on earth? Maybe in giant space stations (large enough to not need tech to keep the ecosystem going) or on a transformed [any planet or moon except march or earth]?
I'd still prefer fantasy, or other-universe (otherwise diametrically opposite examples of this: Star Wars or Noctis) scifi.

And I think one story is challenge enough.

I just got an idea: what if we make the story they worship something like say... Nist Akath?
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 02:15:52 am »

Well, having them take something like Nist Akath as a holy book would remove the need for us to write a fake comic book, so it sounds like a good idea.

We obviously can't have them worship some modern book unless we do post apocalypse, though. Start proposing setting outlines, people! I'm fine with fantasy, but it needs to be defined.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4