Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personalised professions  (Read 1454 times)

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Personalised professions
« on: December 27, 2006, 01:18:00 am »

I'd love the ability to create labor preference sets, with my own profession names.

When I get a new wave of immigrants, it'd be really convenient to be able to designate, for example, two woodcutters, a brewer, a cook, and a clothmaker.

The woodcutters would get a saved set of labor preferences that might be wood cutting and wood hauling only.
The brewer would get labor preferences that keep her at the still whenever she's working.

If I wanted to be funky (and strange), I might have some profession with mining, animal training and dying.

Anyway, the base concept is simple enough: from the view units screen, be able to assign a pre-set (player-devised) profession to dwarves.

Thanks for listening to my suggestion!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Personalised professions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 11:00:00 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000641

Better job-selection is always being discussed.  It's very inefficient to have to set 15 immigrant peasants up individually.

Seshat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

The technique suggested in that thread isn't quite compatible with what I want, but since there's stuff there I want to discuss as well, I'll move to that thread.  :)

Thanks.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:38:00 pm »

Sorta related: Since colours beyond the 16 basic ASCII colours have been implemented, could we perhaps have a dwarf colour option to be set at the customize profession name page? It would be alot easier to visually distinguish dwarves if I could make my butchers scarlet and my harvesters heliotrope, for example...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »

Like those clickable RGB scaled rectangles?  If the profession name and other things are going to be displayed in the color properly, it's more of an overhaul than it seems, since most of the game still thinks in 16 colors.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 11:25:00 pm »

Perhaps an add-on to the tile graphics system where customize profession names can also get their own graphics then?  While I don't exactly know how you've got the code for it laid out, it seems to me from my armchair position that it'd be easy enough to add that capability...

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:27:00 am »

perhaps a generic "custom profession" color and tile.  or leave their display profession with whatever their closest skill is, and just have their labor set be customized.

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:39:00 am »

Eh, I don't care about the colours.  But I do definitely want saved profiles that I can apply to immigrants.  For instance, once I train a couple of skilled carpenters to a certain point, I start setting new carpenter immigrants to be lumberjacks or siege operators with carpentry turned off.  I wish I didn't have to fiddle with the labour preferences of each immigrant individually, since there are only a few 'set' combinations that I like to do, and the labour preference screen is already kind of unwieldy.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 09:47:00 pm »

I do this with trappers and farmers. Since farmers have butchering and tanning on by default, and trappers have them off, yet they are house fer jobs, and when farmers do them, they dont seem to register as house fer tasks being completed. So I turn them on for trappers and off for farmers instead, which is then counted. It also keeps the farmers in the fields, and the trappers indoors when hunting is too dangerous.
ho watches those that watch us???