Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Zasrimtar, The Crystal Castle {Community Fort} Now with flying Elephants!  (Read 17870 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zasrimtar, The Crystal Castle {Community Fortress}
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2009, 03:41:03 am »

Btw, what's the population cap for this fort?

Cap is at 150 from my init file.  Currently less than 50 here at the moment though.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 08:56:19 pm »

Phew. Sure a 2x2 map can support 150 dwarves? A big reason I don't use anything smaller than 4x4 is because I'm afraid there won't be enough living space, farm space, stockpile space or megaproject space. It'd really suck to get landlocked :-\

Plus, I prefer mostly horizontal forts.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2009, 10:59:38 pm »

Zas was set up to be a challenge from the beginning. I've had 2x2 forts support over 100 dwarves before, but who knows if Zas will reach that. I'm sure it can support itself, farm->food->meals, and farm->dye->thread->cloth-crafts will keep trading and such up. And hopefully from that I can micro manage and build a tower as my 'big project' and survive with only using glass. And that's both the challenge and the reason for this little fort. To be different that way.

I'm worried that it will take a lot of time to get enough fuel for glass production, as I'm limited to what wood I get randomly from the elves, what grows outside in the jungle and the little bit the dwarves bring. I've been debating about trying to use some little of the space I have and try to set up a tower cap farm using the brook and aquafier to make an underground flow(still learning about tower caps, so not sure if this will even work), but I have have other fish(or monkey) to fry currently.

Anyway, no update yet today in case anyone is keeping track, brother showed up and we headed off to the family house for movie day, so will post game progress either later tonight or tomorrow.

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 01:58:16 am »

Don't get your hopes up on the tower caps, you have to discover an underground river first. Those only occur in mountain biomes :(

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2009, 02:46:34 am »

Don't get your hopes up on the tower caps, you have to discover an underground river first. Those only occur in mountain biomes :(

Yeah it was a long shot anyway. For some reason I was thinking I could channel my water from the brook underground, but after researching more it only works when an underground source is 'discovered' on the map. And I seriously doubt there's anything like that here.

I may still play with the water some, make some ever-flow waterfalls into the aquifier or something. I had thought of trying to tap into brook waterwheel power and turning the glass tower into a water spout at one point. So there are possibilities for the future.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2009, 03:55:13 pm »

Spring Year Three, POV unknown

-
I watch and I listen. I also bide my time. These dwarves are working hard to break the back of this mighty jungle. Their glass structure has clawed its first hold into the sky, And I can hear the noise of their furnaces making more.

The bastard elves are here now, and they chase elephants around with their metal weapons. I plan for the day I overthrow them all.

-
The dog, Edem, found a thief sulking around outside the glass building. Less thief, more bloody mess now.

-
The elves have brought a cougar for these dwarves to pet and play with. Along with some cloth and some berries. All of it traded for some cloth out of another bin, Elves are so thin headed.

They also brought a female cow. I can see the dirty looks on the dwarves faces as they imagine breeding her with the bull running around.

-
The second bank of tiny glass rooms are done for dwarves to sleep in. I wonder if they realize how much it makes them look like insects in jars.

-
More infuriating breeding, puppys and kittens allowed to roam for days before the dwarfs even notice them. I hope they all choke on their 'pets'. Even the mighty Edem is spitting out small versions of herself now...

-
The monkeys keep coming at this glass thing. First an orangutan, now a couple gibbons. They don't do much in these low numbers, other than die to the patrolling military.

-
The short ones have set up a glass aquarium in their dining area, and have begun to gather fish for it. I fail to understand their desire for so many pets.

Meanwhile, the elves have left, and good riddance I say.

-
More dwarves have shown up. How delightful(sarcasm). Quite a few of them actually, enough to put that head dwarf into a mayor spot.

The lead dwarf seemed to talk the most with one of them. I wonder what they talked about.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The others were put to work, or drafted into the military. I'll give these dwarves that much, they are very efficient. Even had enough to start up a formal guard.

-
Another Thief- I mean bolt holding corpse container thing. The crossbows on the first level are lethal to most anything showing up close enough. The glass will take some time cleaning though.

-
More young things, this time donkeys, and some more puppies. The dwarves shoved most of them into a cage, killed a couple for slaughter, and continued working on their glass fortress.

They are carving fortifications out of glass to shoot through. I don't know if I should be appalled or impressed.

-
Now even the dwarves are breeding like rabbits. Another girl was born on the walls, It's like they don't even care where birth happens. Such disregard for life.

At the same time, the lead dwarf wants Zinc items. You'd think for someone so strained for fuel, he wouldn't ask for metal workings. Guess that shows you never can tell with these short ones.

-
Summer has arrived, and I still bide my time. The foolish dwarves have no more wood until the jungle grows back around them. Their glass building will stand only long enough for me to take it over, then I shall crash it to the ground with a satisfying cacophony.

The dwarves number fifty-seven heads now. A fitting amount to serve me. They may not be as rich as some of the other forts, but they have a spirit that will be delightful to crush.

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2009, 05:49:20 pm »

Uh oh. What could possibly be threatening Zasrimtar all the way out here? Seems like human work, or something else.

I also like how Pokes isn't easily moved to pity ;D

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 03:55:29 pm »

Summer Year Three, POV Haika

-
I gave the order today to make some clear glass furniture with the pearlash we have currently. Since I do plan to make a more fitting mayor's room above the current bedroom cells, I want to have the furniture ready when the glass blocks are available.

According to stock records we currently have sixty-five charcoal ready to fuel the block furnaces, along with ten glass blocks ready for construction. There may be some gaps in the floor or walls, but hopefully we can get a basic frame up to build inside of, until we get some tower caps from the Dwarven caravan for more fuel.

-
Almost as quickly as summer begins the humans show up. They seem a very ragged lot, wherever they are living the conditions must not be much better than they are here. In any case, meals are moved to the trade depot, along with what little crafts we have to trade.

I was very generous in giving away some of Chyla's meals. In the hopes to encourage the humans to bring more next time. A few bars, some seafood and metal weapons were all they had. We traded for it all and we still had several /very/ expensive meals left that I couldn't bring myself to give away. Chyla has been working hard, making all these masterwork mussel roasts.

-
It seems the humans brought friends.

All military are ordered to defend, the marksdwarves are already atop the walls ready to shoot them where they stand. Neo and his melee squad are ordered to patrol the entrance to the walls in case any of them get too close. The rest of us are staying inside until they are dead.

Also... they brought elephants with them. Crafty goblins. They are mostly melee types, a handful of wrestlers, and one lasher with two maces. The humans with the caravan should help as well if they get too close.

Apparently it was Draconor's horse Dishmab who found the lead scout of the ambush party near the wall while the others were still out in prime range of crossbows.

The battle was mostly over before it really began. I will say however that the horse of Draconor's is vicious. It took out two of the goblins who tried to wrestle it with only taking a bruise and a few scratches.

Meanwhile, another crafty plot was found out, as a goblin thief tried to sneak in the back door during the confusion. Unfortunately for him, he opened the door right in front of the axedwarf Lorbam.

That particular goblin was quite impressive as he flew through the air backward. The pieces that Lorbam's axe chopped off scattering around, as the crossbow bolts rain down from above. Lorbam charged to the center of the battlefield and stood atop the fallen lasher's corpse; the look of glee on his face when he found another thief trying to hide behind the body was priceless.

Suffice it to say that goblin didn't make it away either. I gave the all clear and orders to begin gathering the loot from the bodies as well as getting everyone back to work on wall building that the goblins threw into havoc.

As we moved to retrieve these items, another goblin, this time a master thief was found trying to get past the guard dog at the back door. I wonder what goes through their minds when they sneak past a door. The dog barks, and several armed human guards turn to look at him, as well as the archer dwarfs on the glass floor above, and the courtyard full of civilian dwarves, war dogs, and a donkey.

I suppose it's something along the lines of: "Oh Shi-*gurglesplat*"

-
Ugh, we didn't make it through all this completely unscathed, the dog at the back door was hurt, and bled out before any of us noticed. I've ordered a replacement chained there, and all of us give our respect to the fallen animal. It died in battle, and served us well.

It seems however we are out of trained war dogs that aren't already doing other things. So, the cougar brought to us by the elves will take the spot for now. Lets see how the goblins deal with the mountain lion.

-
I've ordered one of the glass furnaces to shut down and be removed. It was made of rough orthoclase that would be better used elsewhere. Making use of some of the metal bars brought by the humans, I've set up a mason's shop on the first underground mud pit.

The plan will be to use the stone to make a quern to grind plants with. I must remember to ask the Dwarven caravan to bring a few more boulders of rough stone next year for emergencies.

-
As we have a large stockpile of leather hides, I've given Pokes the task of turning them all into various leather goods for our military. Anything to keep him away from the war dogs. Torturing a cat or two is one thing, but those dogs are an important part of our defense.

-
The humans continue to try and trade with limited resources. From what little I could ask for I chose to request crossbow ammo, some nickel bars, and cows milk. The milk I'm hoping they will bring in a barrel of some sort, be it metal or wood, either way we will make good use of the container once we turn the milk into cookable cheese.

-
The military is really beginning to shape up. We have three legendary champions in the fortress guard, and Neo's melee group is rapidly approaching them. I did notice however that these champions were all wrestlers, I have given them orders to don armor and start training with weapons. The better skilled they are, the better off we will be in the future.

-
Having finally become fed up I've taken it upon myself to make some zinc goblets. The mandate is therefore fulfilled, but it seems rather wrong to me having to do it myself. My room above has started taking shape, and we were able to move a bed up there. Though it's not really ready for me to live in just yet. As autumn approaches we continue to train our military and my thoughts drift between possible projects to increase our defenses.  Hopefully the goblin attack this season doesn't become a trend.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 07:54:44 pm »

Autumn Year Three POV: Bobby

-
Autumn, ain't no cool breezes and pretty leaf changes out there though. Just a bunch of wet slosh fallin off the glass. 'Aika has us dragging blocks out and setting em up above us. Seems like it'll never end.

Takin some time to pick plants around the glass blister. Between block pullin anyway. Talked a bit with Hexed before I went out, 'Aika told em to dig a hole down through the middle of the mud mess, near the brook. Dunno why yet though.

-
'e told us to use some of the goldish metal layin around to build a wall inside the old food pile. Two small ones near the river wall. I think I know what he's thinkin now. Hexed dug the hole down nearby through to the aquifier if everythin works, should make for an interestin water feature.

-
Bunch o tigermen showed up today. I was itchin to go try my axe out on em meself, but Neo said he's gonna use em fer practice.

I did get ta watch anyway, that Lorbam guy is great, should get em ta teach me a few tricks sometime. Watchin em slice off a tigerman's leg and tossin em leagues away at the same time is amazin.

-
Hrm, Lucent caught a turtle today. And said we couldn't eat it. What the sod is up with that? It's a turtle... 'Aika had em put in the aquarium. Now 'e just sits there looking at me while I'm tryin ta enjoy me food-turtle. The little bugger is annoyin... an... I ain't so hungry anymore. ...

-

Oi, an ambush. Four gobo axes tryin ta sneak up on the fort. Ain't happenin. This be startin a trend of gobos trying to attack us. Suppose, ' makes fer plenty o weapons and loot ta trade.

Looks like there be a crossbowgobo wit em, and behind em be the dwarf caravan, bad timing on that. Neo and 'is squad are charging out, while our crossbows are at the ready from the ramparts. My axe be itchin ta take gobo scalps, but all I can do is watch others have all the fun. I ain't happy, I tell ya that.

That Inod dwarf be a funny guy. His first wagon be broken, and gobos all over his merchants, and he's out findin snatchers in the jungle on the OTHER SIDE of the camp.

Another snatcher runnin into a horse as Neo's squad rushes to try 'n help that merchant up there getting banged by three gobos. 'Aika be here watchin next to me, mutterin sumthin about buildin a road. I can almost feel the extra work now.

The merchant didn't make it. One o the gobos tossed em against the brook. Looks like Ankas will have company down in the tomb. The gobos are dealin with caravan guards now, and Neo's squad is there to help. Shouldn't take long now before we get told ta go clean up the mess.

The goblins be dead, but so be that merchant. The others high tailed it outta here with the rest of the wagons. Nothin much to be done other than go and loot the one wagon that was destroyed and hope there be enough supplies there to last us. The mayor be NOT happy at the loss o his precious glass makin fuel. I think e needs ta relax some.

And our big cat out at the back gate took a crossbow bolt to da lung. That's gotta smart. We put em outta his misery at the butcher shoppe.

-
Hauling, haulin, haul haulin crap. Step over the goblin splatter from the snatcher trying to get in past the war dogs. Haul haul haul...

-
Migrants, bunch o em. Seven, looks like a bunch of worthlessness. trapper, cheese maker, wood burner, stonecrafter. We don't have any stone ya git. Oh well, more hands to haul I guess.

-
One of the guards died in bed today. Apparently had is wind pipe crushed from sparring. Was unknown, had no friends. We gave em one of the tombs down below, and told Inod to take a note back in case 'e had some family somewhere.

'Aika drafted some o the new blood to the guard. They don't look all that eager, and I don't blame em after this introduction.

-
Hexed broke into the brook wall today to start the waterfall. Cept 'is hole for it to drain fell a little short, and had to be expanded quickly to make sure we didn't flood out our dinin room. As soon as the mud puddles clear, should make fer a good conversation spot, and Lucent said there be fish at the pool at the bottom. Go figure.

-
Four new caskets have been put together and placed in the tomb. I still don't like that place. Too creepy fer me.

-
Another guard bled to death today. 'Aika and Neo gave it to the guards fer over an hour about taking care of their sparring partners. All of the fortress guard were stripped of any edged or pointed weapons, blunt only fer now to try and stop idiocy.

-
That Poke's fellow is out of leather, and hanging around the animal cage in the dinin hall lately. Can't say if I like him, needs a new hobby.

-

Winter be here now, can't say the fall here was much productive, with the lack of trading and glass makin fuel, we are at a standstill, even with a few stupid deaths and gobos to kill seems like this season was less than fun. I think I'm gonna go get a drink, and wash me beard in the new waterfall.

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 08:45:32 pm »

This is making me want to start some sort of nomadic desert-people fort, sans the nomadic part and with a bit more egyptian. All buildings above ground and made of stone, lots of livestock and glass and tanneries and what not, with egyptian style tombs and monuments. Some pyramids too.

If you ever get enough glass you could wall off the entire map border and totally secure the place. You'd have your own secured little nature preserve of some kind for wood. You could expand the fort upwards and build over the ground with some supports here and there so you don't use up valuable woodland. I once tried to start a fort kind of like that with wooden piers in the sky but it didn't take off :/

Also, you're using the aquifer to suck up the brook water aren't you? :P

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 09:09:30 pm »

Also, you're using the aquifer to suck up the brook water aren't you? :P

Yup. :) The three holes in front of the walls empty down into more holes that go into the aquifier. The overflow came when I only had the middle of the three dug, and lots of water gushed out around the hole.

also as to walling off the whole area, I don't have nearly enough glass, and while I could do it, I would make things very boring. Once I get some more charcoal and blocks built up, I do plan to extend the wall and build more around the area, but for now I'm still trying to get a 2nd floor built upstairs in the 'tower' of the castle.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:12:48 pm by Haika »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 10:01:59 pm »

Winter Year Three:

The sunlight sprinkles down through morning mist in a tree-cleared valley. Zasrimtar the crystal castle pulses with bustling dwarves, pushing back the aura of the jungle as its residents plow through the mud and fight the verdant lifeblood of the jungle.

Today the dwarves of the glass construct venture out into the jungle with wooden and metal tools to dig a flat road to the west. Studded on each side of the path with glass pillars, the road cuts through the center of the clearing, doing its best to halt the regrowth of vegetation within its flat boundary.

The sense of life and death is all around this fortress. Newborn babies cry out from within mothers' arms, while neighing horses suddenly become silent in an underground butcher shop. The landscape sprouts dying tree stumps every few feet, but the extra light spurs rampant fern and bush growth.

Underground, Haika the Lord of glass sits wearily on his wooden chair, wishing he was anyplace else. Dwarves rush by the red-haired dwarf on various jobs around the fortress.

Some workers pause briefly at the other tables nearby to eat a plump helmet, or expensively decadent meal from the kitchens below. Haika fidgets in the uncomfortable chair, the strain of ignoring the smell of mushrooms poaching slowly in Dwarven wine tickles at the back of his thoughts. The intoxicatingly attractive smell wafts through the dining hall and most of the rest of the fortress from the main stairs behind and to his right.

The bespectacled female dwarf standing to his left coughs lightly to try and return the Lord of Glass' attention to the paper she gave him to sign. "The road will need to be cleared at least once a season if we want to keep the brush from growing there again." Using one finger she pushes her glasses up against her nose, before returning the calloused hand to the clasping position behind her back. "Here is the drawn up image Pokes created on one of the more recent cat hides," She added, giving him the hide stained with feline blood.

"I know, I know." Haika signs his name with a small stick of charcoal to the bottom of the hide record. "I just wish we had more glass to build a full wall along it for archer coverage." He complains to no one in particular while combing his fingers through his beard. This was an unsuccessful attempt to try and get some of the mud and grime off. "I don't know how you can make time to help me like this Rhenaya, doesn't Chyla need you in the farm plots?"

Rhenaya shakes her head in response, not even worrying about the thin layer of muddy peat and black sand that basically encases every dwarf living here. "There's only dimple cups and plump helmets to plant this season, and we have a couple more farmers helping out these days, so I have some free time."

Haika was about to ask more when a shout came from the barracks. He gave Rhenaya a meaningful glance, and they both rushed into the room lined with beds. Splatters of blood dotted the floor in the center of the room where several of the champion fortress guards sparred regularly.

Near the door, was a body, one of the dwarf champions, a hammerdwarf by the name of Vabok. Haika grabbed the nearest military dwarf by the collar and tried to push the metal clad warrior against a mud wall unsuccessfully, "WHAT HAPPENED THIS TIME!?"

Bomrek, just shook his head ad the clerk raged against the chainmail. "It was another sparring accident." He gestured to the other guards standing aghast on the other side of the room. "We were sparring like normal, and Vabok took a hit to the throat, he seemed fine at first then staggered while walking away, and was dead before he hit the ground." The swordmaster was certain that the lord wouldn't be able to push him, let alone lift him, the training Bromrek had done with Neo in sparring sessions taught him that much.

Letting go of the heavily experienced swordmaster, Haika let out a sigh of annoyance and confusion. "I will designate a tomb for him, help me bring him downstairs."

Dwarves all around the fortress lower their burdens and attend the funeral of the fallen champion. Haika's speech does little to boost the feelings of the gathered dwarves but he gives it anyway to see the dwarf into the afterlife.

Vabok was another friendless fighting machine, but everyone knew that these rash of unexplained deaths hung over the castle like a shroud. Something was slowly picking them off, one by one.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:32:03 pm by Haika »

Shikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 11:39:35 am »

think its time i become an other little dwarf in here again =o i want to be an "Engineer"   (Mechanic • Pump operator • Siege engineer • Siege operator) =O

named Shikon =D

if you don't plan on having siege weaponry or mechanisms and such.

then a fisher dwarf. or some dood in the army =D

as for his flaw he speaks with his equipment ^_^ ( so he talks to his siege equipment or his fishing pole  or his weapon =p)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2009, 12:34:38 pm »

think its time i become an other little dwarf in here again =o i want to be an "Engineer"   (Mechanic • Pump operator • Siege engineer • Siege operator) =O

named Shikon =D

if you don't plan on having siege weaponry or mechanisms and such.

then a fisher dwarf. or some dood in the army =D

as for his flaw he speaks with his equipment ^_^ ( so he talks to his siege equipment or his fishing pole  or his weapon =p)

I have a few military dwarves I think I could use, as long as your not a fortress guard, as they seem to like to die lately. Don't really have enough raw materials for pumps or siege equipment, or even mechanics just yet.

What do people think of the last update post? Was a change for me to try and write a story in present tense, as I almost automajically fall into past tense(let alone sans-journal style)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:37:50 pm by Haika »

Shikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2009, 02:56:06 pm »

story in present tense is nice if you want to either make a story =p or make some scene more dramatic ( like a fight =O)

but if your just summing up a season and nothing interested happened the Haika type journal is fine if you ask me ^_^

and i don't blame you for the engineer =p you need a lot of wood for balista's and wood and stone for catapults so =p

then i guess weapon of choice spear but anything goes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7