Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Zasrimtar, The Crystal Castle {Community Fort} Now with flying Elephants!  (Read 17877 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zasrimtar, The Crystal Castle {Community Fortress}
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 09:52:33 pm »

It's great so far! :) I've got my eyes on the male peasant. Could you post a little summary of all the jobs each dwarf is currently assigned?

EDIT: Oh, by the way, will player journals be allowed? I'm not sure I'd even have one, but I'm just wondering.

Right now they are pretty much doing what their skills allow them to. Other than that I have Neo handling butchery, and Chyla brewing along with farming tasks. The new members have just arrived so I haven't fiddled with them much yet other than giving cleaning and dissection to the new fisherdwarf.

As to journals, :) feel free. I love reading what others may think of things going on. Just be aware that I may change a dwarf's job to do something else if I need it in game, like Hexed being turned into a bone carver. I'll do my best to give a reason though, and work with you.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Shikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 10:19:43 pm »

all right  here is some critisism =O
wait =O i like waht you have wrote so far =Dand its hard to get any real story going since not a lot happens the first  year.

also are tigerman wild animals a hunter would hunt ?  i didn't know that o-o;

any way i will write up a back ground for my guy on why he is here right now o-o

i Might do some journaling but thats pretty hard as i can't see what my dwarf did =p so it.
and maybe its better to be left a little open so you can twist and turn us as you see fit =D
but dunno will see what i will do defo a background check tough =D

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 11:32:47 pm »

Ok, I want that male peasant to become the first official marksdwarf :) A little wrestling wouldn't hurt either if it'll keep him alive.

Name: Xonara
Job: Marksdwarf

Background:
Xonara is a solitary type but usually isn't particularly annoyed by being in crowds. He'd have to be against some pretty rare circumstances to murder, but he's not above any petty crimes. His entire lifestyle revolved around his ability to provide for himself through burglary and muggings, and he lived well until his crimes caught up with him when he robbed a hammerer blind by clubbing him in the head with a glumprong stick. He could have gotten away with it, but pressed his luck by running off with his beautiful masterwork adamantine hammer too. Long story short, the hammerer tracked his hammer down, and Xonara too, and would have mashed him into a gory pulp if Xonara hadn't negotiated with him. Xonara was forced to do away with his entire secret stash of loot, which he had built up his entire life, in order to be spared, but the hammerer added insult to injury by sentencing him to life in prison in a boozeless fort to the south in some hellhole jungle. The warden there had been given specific instruction from the hammerer to not kill Xonara or let him kill himself, as suicide was common in boozeless forts and he wanted to be sure he'd suffer. He didn't stay there for too long though as he quickly became a *legendary jackass* by doing many infuriating things, most notably by escaping his cell and passing out in the warden's personal vintage ☼plump helmet wine☼ stockpile. Completely forgetting his orders the warden kicked Xonara out and left him to die in the jungle, after sufficiently strangling him of course. With no compass he wandered for leagues in the jungles before happening upon Zasrimtar. Fortunately, it appeared the place was a penal colony and he blended in without any effort. Unfortunately, he would come to learn everyone there was bat shit insane. Everything the past couple months had been uncertain for Xonara, but there was one thing he was positive about: If that hammerer ever saw him again, he'd pay hell for what he did.

(I can write backstory, me! :D)

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 12:25:36 am »

That reminds me - when you don't need me for butchering, etc anymore can I be sheriff? Or the leader of the Military?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 04:27:45 am »

all right  here is some critisism =O
wait =O i like waht you have wrote so far =Dand its hard to get any real story going since not a lot happens the first  year.

I thought quite a bit has happened already, then again, I do enjoy the setup and start of many fortresses.

also are tigerman wild animals a hunter would hunt ?  i didn't know that o-o;

Actually I don't think the hunter would hunt them in game technically. But I saw them on my map at one time, then later they were gone wth a blood trail leaving the area, so my creative instincts took over(I actually think it was probably one of the war dogs that chased them off)

any way i will write up a back ground for my guy on why he is here right now o-o

i Might do some journaling but thats pretty hard as i can't see what my dwarf did =p so it.
and maybe its better to be left a little open so you can twist and turn us as you see fit =D
but dunno will see what i will do defo a background check tough =D

The way I see journals working is I go ahead and post a season or whatever like I've been doing. Then if you or others want they can write that same season from their point of view using what I wrote as a guideline.

Ok, I want that male peasant to become the first official marksdwarf :) A little wrestling wouldn't hurt either if it'll keep him alive.

Name: Xonara
Job: Marksdwarf

Yay block o text. Looks good, I'll draft Xonara come tomorrow when I do the winter update.

That reminds me - when you don't need me for butchering, etc anymore can I be sheriff? Or the leader of the Military?

Yep, that was the plan. Neo started with proficent swordsdwarf, so he's prime to be sheriff or captain of the guard when the time comes. I've been using him for butchery and soon charcoal making, as we don't really need much military... yet. I hope you don't mind/do enjoy the slightly pyro personality I've been giving him. :)

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 05:23:17 am »

Are you kidding me? I'm a huge pyro in RL. I absolutely love it. Add in top-quality writing and I'm perfectly satisfied. Plus I always wanted to be the sheriff in a community fort. Sadly I can't write many journals due to dysgraphia and other assorted writing difficulties, so I'm just going to see where you take Neo.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 02:35:18 pm »

Winter Year One, POV Haika

-
Hexed has started digging out the area on the other side of the brook I have planned to be our military headquarters. Once he is finished I should be able to set up a barracks and archery range over there, and draft some dwarfs into it.

I've also ordered a new trade depot rebuilt. Hopefully this will attract more traders in the coming year.

-
Today has brought one of the most amusing scenes I've had the luck to view in some time. The pack of mandrills that have been running around annoying our workers uncovered a kobold thief today. The mandrill apparently didn't like the idea and immediately attacked the little beastman. Tearing out two large sized pieces of kobold before the thief's dagger scared the monkey off.

The thief then started to continue one towards the camp, when Tirist Ferrovod, The war dog assigned to Hexed poked it's head out of the new military pit. The kobold had little chance after fending off the mandrill, the dog literally tore him to pieces. I can see one leg, and at least one hand separate from the main corpse. There's a piece of lower arm there as well. Over all a great big bloody mess.

Sorting through the remains, I noticed that the Kobold was wearing a small loincloth made from dog leather. I have a feeling this did not endure Lorban to the thief.

-
Apparently Ankas' hand healed today after more than a season of resting. Unfortunately, the hunter was so eager to go after our pleasant wildlife that he ran out without his crossbow and tried to wrestle an elephant with his bare hands. This landed him a massive blow to the chest, breaking a rib in the process. He's now back in the bed resting, again.

-
I overhead a couple of the dwarfs talking about Hexed today. The way he plows through the dirt with his pickaxe has become the talk of legend even in the mountainhomes. I should see about congratulating him sometime.

-
Production is underway for glass! Neo has started burning wood into charcoal, and I've set up sand collection zones, as well as stockpiles to hold relevant commodities on the 2nd underground pit. Hopefully before long we can get a few walls up to keep us from having such problems with wild animals.

-
The order was set down to expand the refuse dump outside today. Apparently with all the animal chunks and body parts from dogfights it was getting overly cluttered. On the bright side, we have plenty of animal products.

-
Turning charcoal production over to one of the newer dwarfs(the milker I believe was her former job), Neo has been asked to take up the leadership of our new military. I've drafted the metalworker, and a couple of the peasants as well. One of whom, seems particularly attracted to the crossbow.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I set up two squads, one with Neo leading for melee fighters, and the other with this Xonara fellow leading the crossbow dwarfs. For now I've set Neo up on a patrol around where I imagine the wall will be. Once Xonara and his fellow recruit have had some time in the archery range, I'll switch them off and let Neo's squad spar some in the barracks.

-
Two points of interested were started today. The cloth manufacturing workshop has been told to crank out as many cloth bags for sand collection as possible. Also, the leatherworks nearby has started on a set of leather armors for our military and woodsmen. This should give us a little more protection from monkey attacks.

-
I caught our last remaining unassigned peasant sneaking out of the craftdwarf's bed today. After asking around, I found out that apparently the two had been married before being sent out here. This brought me to the realization that we really do need separate rooms as soon as the glass production can grant them above us.

-
As Spring begins to arrive I take a look at our status. Food stocks seem to be well under control, I should send out a team to gather wild plants soon though. Wealth is growing nicely, but it will be even nicer if we can get the glass walls going up. And we've more than doubled our original population.

The new year is always a depressing time for me. As I sit and relax in the dining hall with the newest batch of wine Chyla brewed I wonder how long we will manage to survive out here. Our little escapade with the trade depot could not have gone unnoticed, and surely someone from the mountainhomes will eventually turn their eyes here.

All I can do for now I suppose, is get myself thoroughly sloshed, and try to keep going as I have. Oh, and next year's project is to get Chyla to turn some sugar into glaze for biscuits. I miss my morning sticky bun.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:05:00 pm by Haika »

Shikon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 05:54:42 pm »

After being healed  i was unsure what to do..
I lost to an animal  a creature on 4 legs.
Just like .. that time. at my home..

"HALT! where do you think you’re going young dwarf?"  said a loud voice.
"But dad.. I just want to fire the ballista just this once." I whined. then a marks dwarf from the background said "why don't you start with something smaller?"
I did not waste time and grabbed a nearby crossbow  now all I needed was some bolts. but before I found any my dad grabbed the crossbow and said "son , I think he meant this sling shot. go ahead and hunt some vermin or cats.. no one will miss a cat or two. I was furious not because I couldn't shoot the ballista or the crossbow but my dad actually wanted me to shoot some vermin.  I couldn't believe how my dad didn't know anything about the production line of our fort. "The After-Morning of Ale" I think someone had to much to drink when they thought of that name. our production line consists of cloth and dwarfen cheese.  most of the cloth is from pigtail but we also use silk from the spiders and the maggots give us the best cheese of the country. oh well I will shoot some cats to shrug it off  I guess..

after a few weeks of shooting cats I felt like I could use some bigger prey we had a lot of foxes outside but I would need a bigger weapon then a slingshot to shoot them.
I kept asking my dad for a crossbow and I also kept trying to steal one.

I think in the hope I would stop asking for a crossbow he gave me a puppy. i named it Aban this did not how ever stop me from my goal I will have a crossbow.
then I saw a peasant walking around with a crossbow I quickly asked him where he got it from. he pointed to the carpenters shop he said they were making a whole bunch of them because we were planning on a war. he also said he could use some help  hauling them over .
I knew this was my chance I rushed over to the carpenters shop and grabbed a  crossbow from the bower there was also a stack of arrows next to him which I quickly grabbed.
all that was left was sneaking past the guards which should be an easy task as there all are busy in the archery range.
I was past the hallway only 2 war dogs left but they wouldn’t be alarmed by a dwarf so I made it!

EF! EF EF!

Damn it the puppy followed me and  started barking when it saw the bigger dogs.
before I knew it my dad was coming from around the corner as head of the marks dwarf squad he won't like it I stole a crossbow and some bolts.
“Where do you think you’re going Ankas?! and why do you have a crossbow?!” he asked with a firm tone.
“Sir!, I asked Ankas to bring me my crossbow and some practice bolts sir! I think I have healed enough to train some sir!”  when Ankas looked at the dwarf he said this he noticed it was the same dwarf that gave him his crossbow.
Thanks to him my father relaxed a bit and said “ well hurry up then Ankas give Cerol his crossbow”
“Yes dad” I replied as I walked up to Cerol. Then Cerol started talking to me  but not loud so my dad couldn’t hear us “You almost made it there if it wasn’t for your dog, what is the dogs name ?”.
“Aban” I replied. Then Ceros said “ Why don’t we train Aban to be just as stealthy as you.“
I took up his offer and we started training right away.

As the days went by on training Aban. Cerol sometimes would let me shoot his crossbow once or twice while my dad wasn’t looking. After a while dwarfs started to recognize me even my father became proud of me. Then the fortress manager came to me and said that I was in charge of training animals and taking care of them.  I didn’t mind  I had a great time raising Aban. But little did I know that training war dogs  is different than training a little puppy. Countless times they scratched or bit my hands. I was at a loss and didn’t know what to do so I went to Cerol for advice. He gave me a pair of old steel gauntlets he said that the dogs weren’t strong enough to bite trough the steel.  I immediately believed him because  these gauntlets were so heavy I had trouble holding them  I would never wear  a full steel amour it would impair my movement to much.
I thanked  Cerol once again and  went on training the best war dogs the fortress had ever seen.

But the goblins sieged out castle and all the dogs were assigned to fight with the soldiers.
Aban and I were save inside. But my other dogs, Cerol and my dad were not that save.
The siege was over. My dad came walking toward me with a puppy but he didn’t seem happy.
He told me Cerol died.. and that they found this puppy next to his  body it seemed Cerols war dog gave birth to a single puppy in Cerols dyeing moments.

I and the whole fort believe that this puppy is the recantation of Cerol  and I adopted him  straight away  to train him as one of the best,  to one that would never leave my side.
The next day Cerol was already up and running and very lively  I took him to the kennel where me and Aban started to wrestle a little with him nothing major but as the days passed we had little mock up fights  and even Aban got bested once or twice. After a year Cerol seemed ready. There was just one test he had to pass a mock up fight with me.
We were both ready for it he charged me head on. I was surprised by his ferocity of his onslaught  and was taken down.
When I opened my eyes I saw a giant elephant.

( got a little caried away here =O this is part 1 of my background XD should almost make a seperate topic for my background o-o hope you don't mind its this big =p anyway next time i will get that beast! also xonara's background is spot on thats freaky)

Xonara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 08:39:28 pm »

Journal of Xonara:

Date: Like I know.

Ah, I finally have a journal again! Hope that damned hammerer hasn't got his hands on my journal over in the mountainhomes... Nah, it'll probably still be nice and safe in it's hiding spot when I get back. If I get back. Ironically enough, the sucker I stole this from appears to have stolen it from someone else, judging by the entries. Better keep this nice and hidden.

I can't believe my luck sometimes. First I lose my home and my entire life savings, then I go nearly two months without any booze. And when I help myself to that snooty warden's booze after he drank it in front of me for weeks he nearly imploded my throat. I'm still having trouble swallowing. And now I'm rotting in a fly-infested hole in the ground with a bunch of psychos who're going to try and build a castle out of glass. That has got to be the most pointless and idiotic idea I've ever heard. I seriously doubt a castle of glass could support itself, but these bastards can learn the hard way. And what about privacy? But by Armok, there's booze here! It's nothing like the warden's, but damn if it isn't better than water. The dining room is actually quite good, too.

That Haika fellow seems to have his wits about him though, I suppose that's why he's the leader. He's a little eccentric though I suppose. I asked him what he'll call our great glassy nation, and apparently, unless I heard wrong, we'll be living as citizens of "The Ham of Roasting." He's got a good sense of humor, I'll give him that. Additionally he's been drafting anyone who so much as glances at that cursed pile of crossbows, myself included. Oh well, I'm actually commander of a tiny squad of one marksdwarf, and I suppose taking potshots at monkeys is a little more entertaining than hauling a bunch of crap everywhere. Armok knows we won't be seeing anything else out here.

By the by, is my dorf developing any kinds of relationships?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:47:23 pm by Xonara »

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 04:58:10 am »

well if you have a spare female you want to make a bookkeeper then sign me up. with this job you an also make me broker and manager of course. maybe also some addtional job like farming or cook.
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 05:01:12 am »

Well if you have a spare female, and you want to make a bookkeeper then sign me up. With this job you can also make me broker and manager, of course. Maybe also some additional job like farming or cooking.
Bookkeeper+Manager+Broker = Haika
On a side note, spell-check and capitalization please.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 05:35:29 am »

Well if you have a spare female, and you want to make a bookkeeper then sign me up. With this job you can also make me broker and manager, of course. Maybe also some additional job like farming or cooking.
Bookkeeper+Manager+Broker = Haika
On a side note, spell-check and capitalization please.

well its an offer, maybe the lord of glass want to focus on other things :p
and sry i have to type onehanded for the time being, and this is really slow and annoying, so i am not willing to make spellcheck and slow down things more ^^
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

MercDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • Royal Hammerer, Smasher of Stupid Nobles,
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 06:42:25 am »

I'd like a Weapon/armorsmith dwarf please
Name: Draconor
Profession: Anything to do with the Forge or a Hammer

Backstory: Draconor is a "High Security" prisoner who is a Ex-hammerer from some small county which was hotter and had more stone than here (also more trees) He's a Taller than average dwarf (looks like a small human) who hates stupidity with a extreme passion (as his last count found out after the 5th request for clear glass items wasn't met), Draconor is often quiet and laid back on his off times while he prefers to throw himself into any work in the Forges (metal or glass) or any work involing a Hammer, (Civil or Military wise).
Quirk: doesn't understand civilian lifestyle, angers at stupid mandates (usually until the source of said mandates is removed....premanently)
The Cake...is...a...LIE!!!
The Worlds Best Trap includes a single left footed -Pig Tail- sock.
Madness? This isn't Madness...This is DWARF FORTRESS.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 12:59:58 pm »

Journals and backstories look great guys. :) Don't worry too much about length, long is fine, just try and proof read and spellcheck with smallish net-custom paragraphs for ease of reading. Long reads can be marred by that kind of stuff. I read my posts several times over before I post them, and I still go back and edit grammar and misplaced words and such sometimes.

Nope, no relationships beyond passing acquaintance for Xonara just yet. (he is still new to the fortress anyway)

And yeah Haika is the only one with skills for the admin spots, so I'm just going to have him keep doing them. I can however give you a farmer(currently milker).

Will also add Draconor in, but will probably be after the next migrant wave, as there are no forge/metal related dwarfs around just yet. The one metalworker was female, and became a swordsdwarf.

Spring year 2 update to come soonish!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 03:41:55 pm »

-
The milker and I had a chat today. I passed her heading to the food stockpile with a double armful of plump helmets. At first this didn't make me take pause, as Chyla carries as much on a regular basis, but the young dwarf who arrived just the other season stumbled in the mud-covered floor, and tossed shrooms all over the place.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It seems her name is Rhenaya, a clerk from a backwoods fortress to the northwest. She has taken up farming to try and help out, even though she has very little skill to it at all. Her glasses fell off with the mushrooms when she fell, so I spent the next hour gathering mud covered fungi, and looking for rock crystal spectacles in the mud.

-
I was passing the sleeping area when I noticed that one of Ankas' hunting dogs was breathing oddly at the foot of his bed. Cerol was pregnant and gave birth to a single puppy. I've decided to leave this one to roam, if it survives I'll train it into another hunting dog so it can work with Ankas and its mother.

-
Bad news today. Working on the stock records like I have been for what seems like ages, I spotted Rhenaya lurking just behind me to the left. When I lifted my head to ask what she wanted, she rushed over and told me that there was a caravan of Elves outside. I quickly ordered our dwarves inside the mud hole and put both military squads on standby.

By the time I had made it outside the elves had reached the trade depot we had rebuilt near the stairs. It seems these elves were traders, and they obviously were not happy at the amount of forest cutting, or of the clearly wooden trade depot they were standing on. But in any case it seemed they only wanted to trade. I relaxed a bit and gave the all clear, as well as instructions to move some trade goods to trade with them.

-
As we were loading the goods into the trade depot, a large pack of mandrills decided to attack. However, Xonara and Hexed who happened to be outside at the time took it upon themselves to defend the camp.

The miner plowed into the group of them, scattering them, letting Xonara take shots at them with his crossbow. Several of the marauding apes were injured, and two were shot down straight. Xonara seemed to have a blank look on his face as he reloaded and shot the crossbow. I'd say it was almost a trance-like state. I'll have to ask him about it later, monkeys shouldn't be something to get that worked up about...

-
I was about to talk to the elves when even more mandrills showed up. This time in force, with blood in their eyes. There must have been over thirty of them swarming poor Xonara and his partner marksdwarf.

When the fighting abated for a brief time, we found Xonara's head in the scattered mess of body parts that the beasts left behind... Aparently they didn't take too well to seeing the marksdwarf wearing a mandrill skin leather curiass.

I've given the order to dig a small graveyard along the brook to hold bodies, until we can cobble together some coffins. I will preside over the funeral myself when the time comes. But for now, we must remain practical and continue with pressing matters.

The marksdwarf's partner by the name of Bim was also attacked by the pack of mandrills, but made it away unscathed. Neo's sparring partner was not so lucky, suffering a broken leg and several smaller wounds. It will be some time before the swordsdwarf will be active in the barracks again.

I have some pride knowing that the mandrill who we named Egenistrath for his attack on Xonara was itself taken apart by my own war dog Erush. Egen's head now sits rotting in the refuse stockpile, along with a good dozen other mandrill corpses, and scattered body parts. Hexed has mentioned he is going to make a totem out of that one's skull to place in Xonara's coffin.

-
This day just keeps getting worse and worse. The remnants of the mandrill pack were joined by a group of chimpanzees and are still roaming the area. Bim was swarmed by the chimps, and one of the remaining mandrils took a nasty chunk out of his thigh. He bled to death before we could get him inside to rest.

-
All of this was a bit too much. I let Hexed and Chyla convince me that I needed to rest and the Elves would wait, and we all went underground to take a nap. Meanwhile the monkeys still raged outside, and corpses were scattered everywhere...

Oh, and Chyla's war dog, Edem managed to give birth to a pair of puppies during the monkey mayhem. They seem healthy enough, I've given the order to have them added to the cage with the others.

-
More puppies, this time three of them. I'm debating sending a group of them to slaughter for extra animal products, but assuming we work the monkey corpses before they rot, we should have plenty. So for now, I've ordered them caged.

-
The elf from Cereyamimale introduced themselves as Thele. I don't even have any sodden idea what gender they are, the elf being so abnormally large. I decided not to worry about it and look over what they had to trade.

Unfortunately there wasn't much at all. A bunch of wooden toys, and overly large useless wood armor. I traded some of our cheaper bone crafts for a couple empty bags, two handfuls of berries, two bins of cloth and some cheap booze that we really didn't need(but who turns down booze?).

I ended the trade with a sober nod, I didn't even have the energy to comment on the elf tree-love. The past few days have been /that/ bad.

-
We are /still/ cleaning up the mess heralded by the arrival of the elves. Bobby mentioned the other day that the elven caravan could have just been a distraction sent by the monkeys to weaken our defenses. I didn't pay much attention to the thought at the time, but seeing as how the monkey attacks have stopped for now, it may end up being true.

One of the vermin hunters has given birth to kittens. Speaking of vermin, it seems one of the wooden bins we traded from the elves, contained a full sized cage with a tiny hedgehog in it.

Since we don't have any smaller cages for the wee beast, it will have to stay there for the time being. I don't even want to know how something that small can scare an elf into thinking it needs to be caged /and/ put into a bin to trade away secretly. Then again, we are talking about pointy-ears here.

-
As cleanup and monkey butchery continues, I took the time to make a record of just how many kills we managed to deal against the ape army. Not counting the unknown amounts the war dogs tore apart, we know that Xonara killed two mandrills and wounded many more. His partner Bim killed two chimpanzee allies before a mandrill gave him that lethal bite.

Neo however took a firm stand against the monkey hordes, killing a total of four mandrills as well as eliminating the one we named 'Bonegrind' for his mortal wounding of Bim.

I seriously hope Ankas recovers soon. His list of hunting kills is impressive, six full sized gorillas, five chimpanzees, and at least as many other random monkeys. Along with a single giant jaguar and one elephant that he must have taken down between his hand injury and the broken rib. We really could have used his crossbow prowess during the last attack.

---------
Taking a break here, it's only the 27th of granite early spring XD Sheesh what a mess. But it's fun to try and deal with it all. Took me a good 15 mins trying to figure out how to explain half my dwarfs saying oh well, mandrils and chimps attacking everywhere, time for bed.

Oh here's what the refuse stockpile looks as I take my break:

The part to the left was me expanding it, as the normal one was full to the brink mostly with mandril parts.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 03:44:27 pm by Haika »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7