Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Do Not Collect" zone designation, and saved n  (Read 1300 times)

McGravin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Do Not Collect" zone designation, and saved n
« on: December 26, 2006, 05:13:00 pm »

I hate it when my dwarves see the pick a dead miner has dropped sitting in the middle of a huge steam cloud and rush in to grab it. Or when they try to collect the armor and weapons of a fallen hunter, only to be slaughtered by the same herd of elephants.

I could use the orders menu to tell them not to collect anything of a specific type, but I usually still want them to collect items in other areas of my fortress. My idea is to have a "do not collect" zone designation, where any items within the zone would not be picked up by dwarves, under any circumstances. This way I could tell them not to pick up the gear dropped by a hunter until the murderous elephant herd has moved on, or I could force them to collect stone from one area of a fort while leaving stones on the ground in another area.

My other idea was to allow the player to save his favorite gear setups for new forts. That is, the skills for the seven starting dwarves, the specific number of picks and axes and food stuffs, and the number of livestock. I, personally, have a very specific gear configuration I use almost every time, and while it only takes a moment to go through the gear list and change everything, it can sometimes be a bit tedious. Perhaps it would only remember the gear setup from the last fort, allowing the player to "Play Now! / Set up carefully / Use last gear configuration"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: "Do Not Collect" zone designation, and saved n
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 03:34:00 am »

I think both of these are somewhat in the long pipe now...  the reclaim interface for shutting off items and buildings could come in handy, though getting them to avoid actual floor tiles as well would be more work.  I think in the end we're going to have txt exportable/send-aroundable start setups, though the utility of those is limited somewhat by the differences between worlds.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mitchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://discord.us
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »

Actually I think I'd like a 'clear' designation (like detail stone) so that I can get all the loose rocks out of my Royal Dining Hall before clearing the stone away from other mining shafts.
-
Mirth Then Called

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 07:43:00 pm »

this can be kludged around:

designate your dining hall as a stockpile, and order a transfer between it and another stockpile.  once empty, undesignate.

DarkTreader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 12:51:00 am »

Another thing that I occasionally do, just to 'pretty up' the fortress a bit, even though it does have its drawbacks - set stone stockpiles throughout your hallways and main corridors.  That way, you've got what looks to be paved stone walkways throughout your fortress.

Unfortunately, items under the stones tend to be hidden, so... *shrugs*  Your call.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 02:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by puke:
this can be kludged around:

There's drawbacks to that, though: haulers will always move the most recently created rock, so you have to lay off mining for a while, and they'll also sometimes move rock into the dining room, since it's a stockpile.