Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding trading and sieges  (Read 815 times)

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding trading and sieges
« on: January 10, 2009, 08:21:42 am »

I have some questions which I have been unable to figure out.  I know this is all hard coded right now but what are the tokens that tell the game to use the hard coded features.

1.  What is the token that determines whether or not a race brings wagons to trade.  Humans bring wagons and elves do not, so what is the relevant token.

2.  What is the token that determines how a race goes about sieging.  Some bring different animals so do not.  Some siege in different ways then others.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: Modding trading and sieges
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »

Need to make sure the civ has [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK] and/or [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] in their entity files for pack animals and wagon pullers, respectively. Pretty sure elves have pack animals but no pullers.

Definately check out http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Entity_tokens and look at the section "items and animals used"

Civs will use mounts when they siege if they come from an area that has access to creatures with [MOUNT] tags... like goblin civs that come from an area with beak dogs. They'll have trolls because trolls have the [EVIL] tag and goblins have the [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] tag. Or maybe it's [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS]. I forget.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:07:11 pm by Fleeb »
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:29:34 pm »

I have read all about entity tokens as well as all the other information on modding in the wiki.

My attemps to mod the elves are as follows.  I did not make a double of any tokens.  If the elves already had it, I did not add a second.

I tried adding all 4 of these tags to the elves.

DIPLOMAT
DIPLOMAT_BODYGUARDS
MERCHANT_BODYGUARDS
MERCHANT_NOBILITY

They all worked perfectly.  I got elves with a Liaison and body gaurds for both him and the traders.

I then tried adding the following to get wagons.

COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT
COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK
COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET
COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL

I did not get any noticable results.  I read all the info on modding in the wiki and still could not figure out how to make the elves use wagons.

As for sieges, elves can use all animals they have access to, but will not use them in sieges.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 07:41:19 pm »

like goblin civs that come from an area with beak dogs. They'll have trolls because trolls have the [EVIL] tag and goblins have the [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] tag. Or maybe it's [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS]. I forget.

Well goblins will only use beak dogs and trolls [sadly even these creatures are rarely showing up in the sieges in the latest version..], because this is also hardcoded right now.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:26:43 pm »

I'm not sure it's hard coded. I modded humans to ride giant lizards (in addition to horses), and they show up with them about half the time that they siege me. Not the goblins, no, but I think the mechanism is the same.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:28:51 pm by Fleeb »
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 01:49:22 am »

The goblins only use those because they can only use evil animals and those are the only ridable/trainable animals with the [EVIL] tag.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 11:13:57 am »

The goblins only use those because they can only use evil animals and those are the only ridable/trainable animals with the [EVIL] tag.

Hm..if that is true, and you mod in a creature called "troll 2" for example using the original troll datas, the "troll 2" creatures will show up in the sieges you say?

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 01:59:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's correct. Or if you added some [EVIL] creatures with [MOUNT] tags they'd bring them as an alternative to beak dogs.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:27:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure that's correct. Or if you added some [EVIL] creatures with [MOUNT] tags they'd bring them as an alternative to beak dogs.

I'm currently testing this (hopefully Orcs will have war elephants with [BUILDINGDESTROYER] as mounts soon!), and I'll report if I can confirm this. I might generate a world for the express purpose of denying it as well (war elephants everywhere, no beak dogs, see if mounts show up), though that will be a bit harder.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.