Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turning dwarves into ants (QUESTION)  (Read 3630 times)

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turning dwarves into ants (QUESTION)
« on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:15 pm »

Or golems, if you prefer.

I'm trying to build a replica of the Forbidden City, but I don't have the patience to spend several in-game years doing this due to interruptions from invasions, animals, hunger, thirst,need for sleep, or lack of mobility.  I already know how to turn off invasions and avoid hostile wildlife, but I need to know how to turn my dwarves into super-fast and inexhaustable little automatons. 

Which file do I specifically edit to accomplish this?  Does it require the re-genning of the world, or can I edit it in order to build the palace, then turn it back to normal when everything is built?  THE YELLOW (DWARVEN) EMPEROR MUST HAVE HIS THRONE!  WITHOUT DELAY!

Thanks for any responses.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Re: Turning dwarves into ants (QUESTION)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:07:47 am »

you need to add serveral tags into the dwarf creature definition in th raws.

[NO_SLEEP] etc. and set the speed to 1
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:52:31 am »

Oh man, I made a mod you would love...

Unfortunately, it's gone now.

Add [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP][SPEED_100] under Dwarves in the standard.txt file in the raws folder.

There are more ways to make dwarves have few emotions and stuff, but I forget the commands. I actually made my dwarves robots at one point, with no emotions or fear and all that, then I added velociraptors for them to fight.

What a day that was  ;D
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:00:28 am »

Velociraptors?

You must post how it was done! I want my dwarves to dine on *velociraptor roast*!

(Made with the finest minced velociraptor meat, velociraptor tallow, cat meat, cat tallow, and one-humped camel tallow.)
(Fucking camels savaging dwarves... Be easier if they'd just kill 'em, then I wouldn't have to send MORE people to retrieve the wounded and give them water slowly for years, and defend the ones who refuse to be helped...)
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 02:31:53 am »

Thanks for the response.  Construction on the Forbidden City has begun!

So does this mean injured dwarves will have no problems recovering from injuries, as they don't need to eat or drink?

Also, will dwarves still run from water/die if you add a [NO_BREATHE] tag?  Or does that tag not exist at all?  It would be nice to be able to make construction on an aquifer map without needing to waste time piercing the water layers.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:38:14 am »

Oi! Wrong!
IT's [SPEED:100]

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:00:16 am »

I would say that it might be a better idea to make an entirely new creature and entity file for this, so that you can still play as dwarves in adventure mode, without being horribly imbalanced.

Saurus33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 05:51:30 am »

They should be [SPEED:0], making them wait zero turns between actions. [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK], [NO_SLEEP], [NO_BREATHE], [NO_THOUGHT], [NO_BLEED] will also be useful, with the side bonus of making them utterly invincible.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 11:42:32 am »

They should be [SPEED:0], making them wait zero turns between actions. [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK], [NO_SLEEP], [NO_BREATHE], [NO_THOUGHT], [NO_BLEED] will also be useful, with the side bonus of making them utterly invincible.

*Splat!*
Urist: "Was that a goblin?"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 11:12:58 pm »

*Splat!*
Urist: "----"
It's got no thought, remember?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:50:58 am »

I've got another question regarding dwarven golems.  Once I've finished my palace and returned the dwarves to normal, will they instantly die of dehydration/starvation and/or go horribly insane due to their time as mindless robots?

I've noticed that the food and drink cycles seem to be based on a timer for each dwarf which resets when they receive the thing they need, and I'm not sure if turning off the need for these items also removes the timer, or just freezes it at the brink of dwarven death.

The insanity option would be hilarious and dorfy, and so it's obviously the outcome I would prefer.  Thanks for any responses.

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 09:45:33 am »

I'm pretty sure the timers either never run while those tags are present, or reset once they are removed. You could just go ahead and let them starve anyways, if insane sock-throwing dying dwarves is your thing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 03:43:38 pm »

*Splat!*
Urist: "----"
It's got no thought, remember?

Touche.