Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Voting Thread: Adventure Mode Skills  (Read 2680 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Voting Thread: Adventure Mode Skills
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:29:21 pm »

This is a thread for the topic "Adventure Mode Skills" on DF Eternal Suggestion Voting.

The concept for this suggestion is to bring over skills from Fortress mode into Adventure mode. This would include things like wood cutting, butchery, cooking, etc. Other ideas to discuss would be the addition of skills such as climbing and jumping.

(Foa reminded me that this list should be here)
The development log currently lists:

Adventurer Skills Preliminaries   
  • I: Ways to obtain food while traveling (hunt/gather) (part of Core84)       
  • II.A: Processing of corpses for more than meat (part of Core86) 
  • II.B.1: Ability to chop down trees and dig (part of Core85)
  • II.B.2: Way to build shelter/home and ability to save it as a permanent site (part of Core85) 

What about climbing? And we can make fire, but how about letting players cut down trees and make controlled fires that won't burn everything around them? There are a lot of questions to be answered as to implementing things.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:33:00 pm by Lightman »

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
Re: Voting Thread: Adventure Mode Skills
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:56:32 pm »

This is a thread for the topic "Adventure Mode Skills" on DF Eternal Suggestion Voting.

The concept for this suggestion is to bring over skills from Fortress mode into Adventure mode. This would include things like wood cutting, butchery, cooking, etc. Other ideas to discuss would be the addition of skills such as climbing and jumping.

I realise there are other threads that go into some of these topics, but I think the topic in the list should have a thread linked to it.

For anyone interested in this idea, we might start by posting the skills we would most like implemented (and maybe an idea on how to implement it). I think I might start with digging. It would be cool if the adventurer could make ramps, dig trenches, etc. Otherwise, I would say let the player use butchery/cooking skills. We can make fire, but how about letting players cut down trees and make controlled fires that won't burn everything around them?

It's being done, it's on his Do-Now List.

Adventurer Skills Preliminaries    
  •              I: Ways to obtain food while traveling (hunt/gather) (part of Core84)           
  •              II.A: Processing of corpses for more than meat (part of Core86)           
  •              II.B.1: Ability to chop down trees and dig (part of Core85)           
  •              II.B.2: Way to build shelter/home and ability to save it as a permanent site (part of Core85)           

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:45:25 pm »

Hmm.. Yes, they are on the list. However, they are grey, meaning 'future'. So, unless I'm mistaken, there is no current time-frame for them.

Also, I wonder how some of the skills will be implemented with or without workshops... Will the adventurer need to build a workshop to do things? Should they have to? etc.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:20:39 pm »

Question is, what is your house in the middle of nowhere good for if all site resources are strewn around randomly whenever you leave and come back?

You can't have a wife, kids or pets either. Nor can you keep animals in general

Will eventual world gen adventurers build houses? Will we end up finding them ruined in fortress mode?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:22 pm »

Yeah, that's a good point. Even if it saves it properly, what will you be able to do with it? Store things?

It seems like the basic skills should be the priority, for now.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 05:14:39 am »

Yeah, that's a good point. Even if it saves it properly, what will you be able to do with it? Store things?

It seems like the basic skills should be the priority, for now.

YES! Store things! I hardly play adventure mode as it is (mostly because of the near random battle variables == insta death), but having an adventure mode fortress I could slowly develop over time and successive adventurers would make things far more enjoyable. If Toady implemented adventurer mechanics skills, you could even spend time setting up traps in dungeons including water and magma traps! This would really make DF twice replayable and very satisfying while we wait for other updates.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 06:24:34 am »

I don't have much to add other than this is probably one of my most wanted DF improvements - having adventurers able to do basic fortress mode skills, like forging weapons and digging/building.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:59:48 am »

I'd like to see adventurers able to scale cliffs and sheer walls.  It would be spectacular if the view could shift from top-down to a side-on view of the cliff face, making it possible to do lateral movements based on where ledges, features, and different types of rock might be found.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 07:14:40 pm »

The ability to turn the corpses of your fallen enemies into food and equipment will be welcome. You really haven't defeated an enemy until you made shoes and a belt out of him. And lunch.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 07:29:08 pm »

I'm SO against adv mode climbing, until the AI is smart enough to do it.  That means essentially I want it in fortress mode first.  Climbing would be so abusive if you could get somewhere that your enemies couldn't reach.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 04:42:31 pm »

I think the climbing would probably be restricted to rough walls, as I cant see someone(unless they have sharp claws or a grappling hook or something) climbing a smooth wall, or a block wall. (basically I think that if the wall is smoothed or made of blocks/widows is cant be free climbed, but if its made out of natural or constructed rough walls it should be climbable. Also the tree glitch would need to be worked out before you can climb trees.) But that is only what I think, some of you may differ.  ;)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:32:03 pm »

What's the tree glitch again?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 11:25:34 pm »

If you fall from a z-level on top of a tree, which counts as a floor tile, you cannot move off of the tree, you are stuck there unless your adventurer is [FLIER]

CoyoteTheClever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 02:37:11 pm »

I think crafting skills should be advanced differently than regular skills in adventure mode. You should maybe have to pay someone knowledgable in the skill to teach you about it, to advance in it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 02:46:11 pm »

This may not be too different, because there is vague talk of fortress mode skills having some kind of knowledge (not skill) component too, far in the future!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2