Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Make starting equipment suck less  (Read 2809 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Make starting equipment suck less
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 07:36:31 pm »

I ar a gud reedr.

Perhaps the mechanic should go in, but have the rate be moddable? That way everyone who says "DWARF CRAFTING NEVER FAILS!" could be easily appeased by setting the rate to 0.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 07:41:44 pm »

HEY GUYS, CHECK THIS OUT, I LEARNED HOW TO MAKE FIRE!
*Burning dwarves proceed to set the fortress alight*

...hehehe

I am in agreement that something is definately broken with values of items on embark, but I haven't yet thought of any solutions that I liked.  The best one in this thread that I agree with is to make the quality standard something higher than 'normal', but I am also in support of failed crafts.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »

I am in agreement that something is definately broken with values of items on embark
The "problem" isn't so related to embark- a point is exactly equal to 1☼ for item-buying. The 'alues of all items that you embark with is the same as their 'alue for trade or whatnot. That embark chooses to use the same 'alueset is quite arguably the simplest solution, changing it would in'ol'e rather a bit of work.

That a Proficientx2 is worth a mere 70 points more than a peasant- and therefore 70☼- seems strange, though...

(Else: I just found out that different races start out with different point counts due to item distribution. Elfin embarks get a measly 300, to dorfs 2060. [Gobs: 1470, Humies: 1570])
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 08:08:55 pm »

Unskilled dwarves shouldn't even be able to try harder labors like smithing

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 08:34:02 pm »

Unskilled dwarves shouldn't even be able to try harder labors like smithing
:-X Enjoy your fisherdorfs, peasants, lyemakers, potash makers, cheesemakers...I would hate for that to be the case, particularly when trying something is the only way to gain skill in it, as it is now.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 08:45:37 pm »

If things like teaching come into practice, i can definitely see my unskilled dwarves not being able to just 'pick up' a job that requires some form of training beforehand.

However, if getting a trainer is difficult, then perhaps a "trial-and error" learning period would be handy. What i mean by that is during the Dabbling and novice levels of skill, their would be a particularly high chance of whatever they're making to be a "failure" and just end up as a pile of useless junk. This would be discouraged from the fact that it would be waste whatever resource they were consuming when they make junk.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 10:22:08 pm »

:-X Enjoy your fisherdorfs, peasants, lyemakers, potash makers, cheesemakers...I would hate for that to be the case, particularly when trying something is the only way to gain skill in it, as it is now.

Well the general idea was that your home civ would play a bigger part in it. You could request visiting master+ artisans come train your dwarves up to proficient in the advanced labors like smithing and jeweling (this would take materials mind you and quite some time. Theory lessons and demonstrations), buy apprenticeship from other civs by sending your dwarves there and request specific kinds of immigrants who take X years to arrive based on how much training you want to give them, all the way to proficient. Intermediate labors such as making clothes would just require the dwarf to carry an instruction book until proficient and learn like they do now. Dwarves below proficient would stagnate until given the proper means to advance, anyone proficient or higher would learn by doing. Vital and simple labors wouldn't require training at all

Loosely based on the guild system and apprenticeship of old

Most apprenticeship suggestions basically just ask for free skillups, I wanted a little more depth than that to make up for it. Mind you, this would sort of apply to military dwarves. You'd need an elite from back home supervising sparring to get to 'great' categories in any given weapon class. This would also solve any problems with drafted civilians going too high and being unable to work anymore. Adventurers and other civ's elite troops could also be used, though this would require payment and good relations, respectively

To avoid artifact shenanigans ruining it all, only the master+s could make artifacts via fey moods. Perhaps the only way to become legendary. Possessions wouldn't count towards artifact limit per site or dwarf since those are just the masters of old completing their life's journey through someone else. Not really a problem with champions but while I'm at it, I'd prefer if said status required actual notable kills. A lot of them  :P

You could of course use your own dwarves for apprenticeship once they reach master status or higher

Difficulty of starting a fort would be pretty much the same regardless of my changes

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 02:40:15 pm »

*Skim skim skim skim*

Dwarftime = dwarfbucks.

Yes, it does, but how long dose it take to turn 29 wood into 29 barrels?

Not long at all.  Maybe a season.  Which means, that assuming base quality barrels, that a season is worth about 200☼.

How long can I wait to have those 29 barrels?  About a year.  With the amount of barrels holing my starting food and booze I don't actually need to make barrels until mid autumn.

As for "crafting failures" what barrels need is two levels of usefulness: good for holding items and good for holding liquids.
Pages: 1 [2]