Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions About Development  (Read 1072 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Questions About Development
« on: January 09, 2009, 05:41:36 pm »

What exactly has changed from the Sept. release? I have been semi following the change log, but it seems I am missing some info. What is so major about the wounds and tissues stuff? Please help if you can. Thanks :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Questions About Development
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:56:08 pm »

It's a HUGE change. Right now creatures have body parts with assigned hit points. So, maybe an arm has 10 hit points and it takes damage when it gets hit. If it goes below 10, it's lopped off, or whatever.

Toady is switching over to a more physics based system. So instead of having every abstracted up into hit points it'll be something where different tissue layers get damaged. A light scratch will damage the skin, and bigger cut will go down into the fat and muscle layers. A mace hitting an arm could break bones without breaking skin or muscle. Things like that. It should have a dramatic impact on how damage is dealt, how much punishment creatures can take, and how they heal from those injuries.

Hopefully I explained that in a halfway understandable fashion.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 05:58:12 pm »

I am making a Board Game, similar to a Board game version of DF mixed with DnD, and that was my idea for a HP damage system. I have thought from the start this is how damage should be in DF. Glad my psychicness is working again. ;D

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 06:19:21 pm »

I just realized something...

Is DF 48d9 just the speed update, not the flesh update and stuff?

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 06:27:12 pm »

I just realized something...

Is DF 48d9 just the speed update, not the flesh update and stuff?

If you mean DF 40d9, then it's just more speed (biggest improvment on old comps)
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »

Correct. All of the 40dx releases are just the speed increases, not any of the other code Toady is working on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »

I was hoping he had added all new features D:

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:29:32 pm »

That won't be until somewhere around April. Basically, read the current dev notes and watch the number. When it hits 0, we'll have the next release. (More or less)
Come play Mafia with us!

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 06:34:20 pm »

That won't be until somewhere around April. Basically, read the current dev notes and watch the number. When it hits 0, we'll have the next release. (More or less)

Won't Toady do some tests after the counter reaches 0?  He did it last big release.  I think that means another countdown (much faster than this one though)
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Thndr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 09:12:10 pm »

Well he obviously has to attempt at debugging things he does code. He usually does it after each bunch of code, depending what it is (which is why we heard about dwarves exploding with molten metal way back, and currently gold-gas blooded dwarf recently)

So once it's down to 0, he'll test things out and make another smaller countdown for bugs and such that finally pop up with more thorough testing.
But that doesn't really matter anyway since there will be bugs that will pop up without Toady knowing of them, see: epic dwarven coma bug.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 09:14:41 pm »

Won't Toady do some tests after the counter reaches 0?  He did it last big release.  I think that means another countdown (much faster than this one though)

Quite a few of the count numbers mean testing.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 01:30:36 am »

Testing? Isn't that what we're for? ;D
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 01:43:11 am »

Testing? Isn't that what we're for? ;D
No.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 11:45:42 am »

I was hoping he had added all new features D:

Given that the version number 0.28.181.40d9 happens to have 28 core items, 181 reqs, and 40 bloats just the same as version 0.28.181.40d does, I don't see how it could have new features.