Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Voxel-based 3D program for fortress planning  (Read 6088 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Voxel-based 3D program for fortress planning
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 07:59:11 pm »

Blockland
Old player here with advice: editor wand on a 2x2 tile to scale 3 3 15 then use temp(template) to make a plantable clone.
Also, I once made a mod that would allow DF-style caves by automatically generating the surroundings every time you mined a square.
Eh?
Eh!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »

I was talking about Danarca.

Sounded like he thought we were talking about DnD
Wait, what?

...Do you even know what Lego is?
I think he means building a real-life fort in Lego and simulating a game of DF.
Real-life Lego coupled with DnD-style rules for everything for max awesomeness.

*Cough*

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 01:23:32 pm »

I was talking about Danarca.

Sounded like he thought we were talking about DnD
Wait, what?

...Do you even know what Lego is?
I think he means building a real-life fort in Lego and simulating a game of DF.
Real-life Lego coupled with DnD-style rules for everything for max awesomeness.

*Cough*
If it exists, it exists on the internet.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 04:30:30 am »

Of course, if I had some nice tidy, well documented c++ code that I could use to pull the map from DF, it'd make things a whole lot easier, but most people seem to want to use simpler languages that have about as much use in AutoCAD as a cat-tallow magmaguard. (and yeah, I have very little experience in moving code from one language to another)
I have moderately-tidy, poorly documented code that does this extremely well (part of an on-going project). If you were genuinely interested I would fix it up, though it would require some additional work as it uses non-std:: containers.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 08:01:09 am »

It would certainly be useful, and tbh I wouldn't worry about not using std:: stuff. The AutoCAD APIs have their own array template classes (similar to CArray) so if you're using that type of array (or even var[] form arrays) they wouldn't be too difficult to migrate. Its the reading of the DF memory that's normally stopped me dead as I'm not good at re-constructing someone elses data structures.

still, if you want to throw some comments in there, I'll have a look and see what I can come up with. You can throw me an email, but I won't be picking that up until later tonight (UK time)

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 12:51:34 pm »

I'll certainly do that, but it won't be until tomorrow.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 05:16:57 pm »

I still don't understand why Voxels are needed to accomplish this. Why not just get Paint.Net (or some other program appropriate to your platform) - just turn the grid on, use layers, and just use the pencil brush. Easy. I don't see what benefits using voxels would be other than 'omg u gais check out this awesome nu buzzword i found how kewl does it maek me look f reels'.
Voxels are not needed to accomplish this. They would just make the process much more convenient.
DF terrain exists at a very low resolution, so tiles are very large. At that size, it's convenient to draw them one by one. The solution you described is exactly what I'm looking for, but one dimension short. Voxels are exactly what fills this gap, because they're three dimensional elements. Using voxels to build a 3D model of a fortress means you confine yourself to the constraints imposed by the game engine without bending over backwards. Attempting to design a fortress using a conventional 3D program would be like designing a 2D fortress by drawing a bunch of squares on a high resolution canvas and lining them up just right, instead of just painting pixels on a grid.
The fortress I'm working on is significantly vertical. This was implied by the fact that I started this thread. The vertical nature of the fortress means that a lot of important details aren't immediately visible by looking at individual X-Y slices, and these details are even harder to plan when they have to be described through these slices.  A 3D program would get rid of this problem, and you can't beat a voxel-based program for this job.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 06:02:44 pm »

Voxels are not needed to accomplish this. blah blah blah rambling blah blah blah

And that's all that matters. You're adding a needless level of complexity to a problem that doesn't actually exist by your own admission. Like I said, Paint.NET, pencil brush, and layers. Using layers alone adds the Z-level to your plans, which is what you're seemingly after.

If you're really into plotting out a Fort in 3D, use Sketchup instead. That's built around creating architecture, and so would be perfect for planning out a Fort in all the appropriate detail. Again, voxels aren't adding anything here. It's just another way to model in 3D, and a rather primitive and shallow method at that. You've just caught on to a buzzword and trend and want to use it, despite the fact that it'd be easier, faster, and better to use something else. Let the voxels go, dude. Yes, we've all seen Voxelstein 3D. It's cool. Is it practical? No.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 03:05:02 am »

Voxels are not needed to accomplish this. blah blah blah rambling blah blah blah

And that's all that matters. You're adding a needless level of complexity to a problem that doesn't actually exist by your own admission. Like I said, Paint.NET, pencil brush, and layers. Using layers alone adds the Z-level to your plans, which is what you're seemingly after.

If you're really into plotting out a Fort in 3D, use Sketchup instead. That's built around creating architecture, and so would be perfect for planning out a Fort in all the appropriate detail. Again, voxels aren't adding anything here. It's just another way to model in 3D, and a rather primitive and shallow method at that. You've just caught on to a buzzword and trend and want to use it, despite the fact that it'd be easier, faster, and better to use something else. Let the voxels go, dude. Yes, we've all seen Voxelstein 3D. It's cool. Is it practical? No.
The problem definitely exists. The fact that it's not critical doesn't mean that I don't want to address it. I could use paint.net and I could use Sketchup, but they both have limitations that make them more difficult. Paint.net, as I said before, only works one slice at a time, with no way to switch to different views or projections. Sketchup can't use a grid, and even if it could, a significant portion of my work would be resizing cubes to some exact dimensions.
What I'm looking for is a 3D program that's designed to work with and snap to a 3D grid. I don't care whether they're voxels, as demonstrated by your darling Voxelstein 3D, or just conventional cuboids. Apparently, I struck a chord by referring to the irrelevant rendering approach, so I don't mind rewording my request.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 01:25:55 pm »

Of course, if I had some nice tidy, well documented c++ code that I could use to pull the map from DF, it'd make things a whole lot easier, but most people seem to want to use simpler languages that have about as much use in AutoCAD as a cat-tallow magmaguard. (and yeah, I have very little experience in moving code from one language to another)
Hahaha, wow. Did you just complain about Perl being too simple?

For what it's worth: map_extract.pl is actually based on a port of a C++ program and converting it back shouldn't be that difficult.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 05:54:03 am »

Well, I just found this thread:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=29540.15;num_replies=24
which will probably do the job for you, though I haven't tried it myself as yet.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 06:44:20 am »

Hahaha, wow. Did you just complain about Perl being too simple?

For what it's worth: map_extract.pl is actually based on a port of a C++ program and converting it back shouldn't be that difficult.

ok, so maybe simple was the wrong word. I know "of" Perl and how much it can do, but I've never written a single line of Perl code in my life though, and in general, I prefer my static typed complex constructions and code that's simpler to read without prior knowledge ;)

is there a link to the original C++ code that map_extract.pl was based on?

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 08:19:56 am »

I'm afraid not, since it was a private website, but really, all you need to know is the information here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Rick/Memory_research#Map

And additionally the fact that you will need to use the Win32 API to access DF's memory.

Sadly a problem lies in the fact that the offsets change regularly and you will either need to rely on other community members to find them or find them yourself.

Slinkyfest

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Canuck
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 02:59:19 am »

Lego-based Dwarf Fortress?
"I roll a D20, and get... 14! I get to rip your arm off!!"
"Aww, alright, what's the rules on determing the position it lands?"
"Dunno, Let me get Rulebook #22 out.."

Well, theres actually a lego based table top game...

http://www.brikwars.com/rules/2005/universe.htm

so... technically ya roll the d20 and rip off that fackers arms, then use them to inflict 1d4-2 bludgeoning damage. Good times...
GENERATION 25:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 02:19:27 pm »

I didn't see anyone mention this in the thread, and if they did I apologize, but:

Voxels wouldn't even be able to represent a DF map.

If maps in DF were a simple cubic grid, with nodes filled in, then yes, it would work.
However, it has the "floor" layer to think about, which you'd essentially want to place as sort of 2D sheets in between z-levels. You would not be able to do this at all using voxels; that would be like putting something "between pixels" in MS Paint.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 [2] 3