Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrel materials and food spoilage  (Read 2577 times)

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Barrel materials and food spoilage
« on: December 26, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »

Having recently been reminded of how silver can be used to purify water, I thought of the various materials barrels can be made of in DF and how they would actually react in real life.

As an example, varieties of alcohol such as wine and whiskey are purposefully stored in  cured wooden barrels to enhance the flavour of the contents. Perhaps booze made by dwarfs and stored in wood barrels could count as higher quality compared to that stored in metal barrels.

On the flip-side, copper is poisonous. No-one would store food in copper containers in the real world, as it would also make the contents taste foul. Iron would also be an unsuitable material for barrels as it rusts quickly and imparts a distinctive flavour.

Silver barrels could perhaps retard the spoilage of food (if and when food spoilage in stockpiles is implemented)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Barrel materials and food spoilage
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:29:00 pm »

really?  arent brewing tanks / vats often made from copper?  

actually, after a quick google search:

really?  brewing tanks are often made from copper.  huh.

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 05:28:00 pm »

Well, maybe not copper, but I'm pretty sure some metals used in the fortress are unsuitable for the tasks they are put to with regards to food and drink.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »

that may well be, but i wouldnt expect that to stop their use.  Roman aquaducts were lined with lead, which is a good choice from logistical and metalurgical points of view.

from healthalurgical points of view, it was a rather bad idea in hindsight.  but you only notice the effects after several generations of compounded birth defects, and even then, you might not know what to attribute it too.

besides, if making lead water barrels was an option, it would be worth doing just to trade them to the elves.

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »

Yes, but in the case of silver purifying water swmming with bacteria or oak barrels improving the taste of wine the effects are immediate and attributable.

myd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 03:37:00 pm »

That would be really neat....

This is dwarven wine. Vintage 1072. Color and taste are of exceptional quality.

The only problem would be, that there would never be wine of higher age with all the dwarves around.   ;)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 03:41:00 pm »

custom stockpiles and locked doors, baby.

youd first need to introduce water impurities though.  and most minor ones can be fixed by fermentation....

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 10:58:00 pm »

Having exportable wines and other boozes would be neat; a cache of rare brew could be just as valuable as gold!

There could be quests of "Yo adventurer; there is rumoured to be a bottle of Icy Boots 1032 Scotch in the ruins east of here.   Go get it for my private stash."

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 04:38:00 am »

I love the idea of dwarves making spirits for trade. Who would know them better than dwarves? Only humans would even come close. And a ledgendary brewer should make some ledgendary brews! And take a legendary brew and age it, and you would have something that would make even the gods cry with envy. Each year of aging should make the brew even better in rank, like 1 year for novice, and so on. Only what would you call a brew that started out as legendary, and reached legendary age?

A related issue. Humans should have Mead for trade. And since its made from honey, its something that dwarves could not brew, since they cant keep bees underground. They might be able to brew it tho, if the humans trade honey. Just a thought.

ho watches those that watch us???

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 05:02:00 am »

Three problems:

One, no Dwarf should ever let booze leave the fortress..

Two, a legendary brewer should tantrum at the export of his precious booze, at least to smelly elves and wretched humans.

Which brings up point three..

I doubt that anyone other than Dwarves could drink dwarven booze.

Of course, you can trade booze right now..

As for Mead, I think that could be another farmers' workshop job... honeycomb -> honey, cookable and brewable.  Perhaps Process to bucket.

Woodstock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »

-That's another idea that looks to make the game way more micromanagement-intensive than it should be.
-Dwarves are hardy enough to drink booze out of ANY container.   :cool:

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »

Perhaps a vintner noble, or a House Boozer or something to help you manage your precious stockpiles of special booze.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

I like the idea of booze increasing in quality with age combined with the skill of the vintner though.  That isn't more micromanagement, it's OPTIONAL micromanagement.  If it was suggested that spirits turn to vinegar after a certain number of years (as happens in real life after enough time) that would be bad, because it would be REQUIRED micromanagement.  But setting aside some casks that the dwarves can't get at for everyday drinking doesn't sound difficult to me, and it's not like it'd be required...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

Bottling drinks for trade and collection with the various years and things is Bloat 212, so hopefully it'll creep into the game at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!