Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: 1 week castle building contest.  (Read 16216 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: 1 week castle building contest.
« Reply #135 on: January 19, 2009, 08:53:58 pm »

Urist McDakk cancels build obsidian block castle: Corrupted save file.

:'(
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 19, 2009, 08:58:37 pm »

Alright, the first layer of the first level of the outer wall has been completed as well as the first two levels of the first granary. A simple barracks has been made, but considering how much these guys are outside and how they lack a proper legendary dining room, I need to get crackin' on the insides of the castle.

I could start work on the great hall, but it is a great hall and thus requires multiple levels.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2009, 09:30:48 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4395-channelsieges

My progress so far, I imagine I won't be going much further since I have classes starting tomorrow. I'll try and motivate myself to finish my homework asap so I can play DF :P

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2009, 09:45:59 pm »

I got down pallisades, curtain wall, gate houses, malcholitions, murderholes, a thriving town with a boat, inn, and (soon) fountain, an armory, treasury, moat hooked up to flowing water, a gator to live in said moat, many towers on curtain wall, starting great hall, three Z's should suffice.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2009, 08:46:58 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-4395-channelsieges

My progress so far, I imagine I won't be going much further since I have classes starting tomorrow. I'll try and motivate myself to finish my homework asap so I can play DF :P

Not bad... I am impressed so far by the replies to the challenge continue on!
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2009, 05:51:18 pm »

Permission to join, so late in the game?

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2009, 09:07:50 pm »

So I lose two miners trying to channel out a quarry, so I have a child break a floor over the cave to break the floors.

Child stood on the INSIDE of the floor and fell to his death, crushing a pig on his way down.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2009, 12:05:27 am »

I'd consider entering now as well.

I just found a pretty sweet location - the northeast quarter of the map is a perfectly flat, forested plain. The west half of the map rises up about 30 z-levels in a nearly sheer cliff. In the southwest corner, a magma pipe that opens up around 30 z-levels above the plain below. There's a brook in the south east corner at plain level that has a natural 2 tile wide pass leading to it which after 40 tiles or so opens up into a flat obsidian plain. There's a underground river under the cliff somewhere. My guess is it's higher than the plain as well. If so, I could waterfall it down into a moat and drain it via the brook.

I'm tempted to shave that cliff to the west to be perfectly vertical (it wouldn't require much) and build the castle off the cliff face, with an extended defensive structure out into the plain to protect outdoor farms and forestry. The cliff is actually high enough that I don't believe enemies up top can target the plain.

It'd be trivial to have a magma moat or set up a subterranean tree farm at plains level. The plain is yellow sand, so I could actually build a green glass castle, most of the rock is obsidian.

I dunno - thoughts, ideas?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2009, 11:25:27 am »

The point was rather stated to be to get people to build castles, so do!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:55 am »

The plain is yellow sand, so I could actually build a green glass castle, most of the rock is obsidian.

Emerald City replica.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2009, 12:13:54 am »

my dwarves could possibly have firearms here.

saltpeter, brimstone charcoal.

That's black powder.
COIN CROSSBOW AWAY!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2009, 06:57:51 pm »

Nice work so far people!!!  It will be an interesting crop of finalists!
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 27, 2009, 12:12:23 am »

Alroght, level one is done with everything but the Cathedral. I figure I should get at least the basics in first, then when I make a succession game of a lord claiming this abandoned castle and building it up again. This will require me to make intentional damage to the walls and such, but oh well.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 27, 2009, 09:35:00 pm »

Man, floor one done, my favorite dwarf has a pimp room, starting on noble quarters.

BTW my village is sweet.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:26 pm »

My village is kinda cramped in my walls. I figured this was a castle, so I guess it is a secondary living place for when the outside gets sieged. Bah, I don't need outside constructions. My walls protect all! Also, while having diagonal corners is difficult to designate I find with a tileset supporting diagonal walls it looks fantastic. I suppose I should upload a picture...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15