Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: 1 week castle building contest.  (Read 16222 times)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 1 week castle building contest.
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2009, 06:20:11 pm »

Fortress received a large boost in wealth after seizing the goods of an Elf caravan. The tavern is being fortified at a decent pace. At the top of the tavern, I am building a small watch-tower with ammo stockpile, to make sniping my foes that much more efficient.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2009, 08:43:49 pm »

ARMOK DAMMIT, THE AMBUSH SPAWNED ON BOTH SIDES OF THE HUMAN GUILD REP.

NOW I NEVER GET TO ORDER GOODS

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2009, 09:10:30 pm »

Alright, here's Copperdrum:
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Artyr/Graphics/copperdrum.png
As you see I have my outer wall set up with towers all around. It generally follows the natural placement of pools of water and the brook. On top is the gatehouse with most everyone not working inside of it. Right now I'm subsisting off of fishing, as I'm still trying to decide where to put my farms. Above that is my drawbridge, but it's up right now; it's 10x7. Below that is my road with another bridge across the brook (which I channeled out below it). But there's also the inn which is another dining room. Then I have the keep which is coming along nicely. Everyone will live in it soon enough. Right now I'm building the outer walls of the keep and draining the pools by digging a basement below.

EDIT: Uh oh, a Goblin siege arrives! ... and make a nice bloody stain on my land.
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Artyr/Graphics/copperdrum_siege.png
Unfortunately they killed all the merchants that had spawned in the same relative spot. That, and that enraged bowman killed one of my champions. Two bowmen managed to escape, but I killed the rest. Hooray!
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Artyr/Graphics/copperdrum_siege_after.png
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 09:49:00 pm by Artyr »

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2009, 10:32:42 pm »

Arytr a few problems ( you might get marked down on this) But good work with regular postings (BP there)

the problems
1 your right wall is croked, ie as in all medieval castles when possible had straigt walls and it looks especialy bad when your left is 1 not sysmetrical and 2 doesn't follow the above rules

2 it kind of buggs me that your river is'n built over with a straigt wall, medival castles would build a wall over a brook, strem and in some cases a river and let it pass right through the castle, and to stop enemys from coming in via that point it would have iron/ metal grates to protect it (think helms deep in LOTR)

3 the walls at the top look a bit out of place its not a huge con but it might deduct points i suggest you straigten out both walls

and just a suggestion (since you've been posting alot and i'll give hints to frequent posters)
is that you need to review your over all design policy/ stratergy its clusted, and looks rushed.
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2009, 12:08:46 am »

hey, the human caravan has been here for 3 seasons, not trading, but petrified to leave.
Do I smash them with a Catapult or wait?
Will they leave?
(I'm on bad terms with all races, I don't want a war, the damn orcs have slaughtered every caravan to come this way so far...)

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2009, 12:13:37 am »

opting out of the contest.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2009, 12:42:19 am »

Castle went boom?

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2009, 10:56:25 am »

No; my castle is doing ok; it's just that academics are my main priority and I can't afford to jeopardize my early grades by playing too much Dwarf Fortress. Also, my original intent of this game was to build an underwater dome city anyway...so yeah...

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2009, 11:16:59 am »

I inda like the organic path of the eastern wall, but it looks more like a city (curtain?) wall than a castle wall.
Certainly on flat land, a castle would be constructed according to mathematical/strategic considderations.
I mean: on hills, walls tend to follow the curve of cliffs etc more than on flat land (which don't have any).

Taking it for granted that in time there will be specialized rooms / enclosed areas for food prep./storage , barracks + armoury etc. :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2009, 12:53:31 pm »

Oh, I have plans for all that. Although it is stuff like this makes me REALLY wish earthworks could be used.

Say, does grass grow on muddied constructions?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2009, 05:34:02 pm »

Anyone have Idea's about my caravan thats stuck?

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2009, 06:56:32 pm »

I remember, I was using the cave-in feature in order to build my cellar, but the dust knocked a Dwarf into my under-construction well. He was mangled in most of his limbs and was carried to safety afterwards. The main issue then was because the map was saltwater, and the well was not even CLOSE to being finished, I needed to make a quick pool of water. So I built a screw pump and a wooden washtub, then had a spare Dwarf pump it for good measure.

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:00 pm »

Arytr a few problems ( you might get marked down on this) But good work with regular postings (BP there)

the problems
1 your right wall is croked, ie as in all medieval castles when possible had straigt walls and it looks especialy bad when your left is 1 not sysmetrical and 2 doesn't follow the above rules

2 it kind of buggs me that your river is'n built over with a straigt wall, medival castles would build a wall over a brook, strem and in some cases a river and let it pass right through the castle, and to stop enemys from coming in via that point it would have iron/ metal grates to protect it (think helms deep in LOTR)

3 the walls at the top look a bit out of place its not a huge con but it might deduct points i suggest you straigten out both walls

and just a suggestion (since you've been posting alot and i'll give hints to frequent posters)
is that you need to review your over all design policy/ stratergy its clusted, and looks rushed.
1. First off, it doesn't mean shit if they're symmetrical or not. In fact, most castles are not symmetrical at all because they weren't generally built on flat land. On DF there's really no way to build on a hill because areas like that don't occur. Secondly, there's no way to make a straight diagonal line on DF; it will always look weird because the game uses square tiles. I made it like that because it followed the pools that were already there, giving my moat diggers less work to do.

2&3. If you're going to use Lord of the Rings references for realistic castles you may as well stop judging now. But besides that, it's the same reason as before; that large moat in front of my gate house used to be two large pools. and I really didn't want to have to drain them and dig new pits higher up just to have my wall a little straighter. And the brook does flow into my castle. I can easily dig an offshoot of it to form a lake or something, but I already have a well right in front of my keep, so it's useless. Goblins can't swim anyway.

I inda like the organic path of the eastern wall, but it looks more like a city (curtain?) wall than a castle wall.
Certainly on flat land, a castle would be constructed according to mathematical/strategic considderations.
I mean: on hills, walls tend to follow the curve of cliffs etc more than on flat land (which don't have any).

Taking it for granted that in time there will be specialized rooms / enclosed areas for food prep./storage , barracks + armoury etc. :D
Thanks, but you're right, it does look like a city wall, but then again most castles were situated on slopes, so it's gonna look like that on flat land. But it's also not entirely flat land; there are pools of water which I can follow and use to build the moat.

Of course there will be. ;) I'm making the great hall and kitchen right now. I'll post screenshots once it's ready.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2009, 07:52:06 pm »

Anyone have Idea's about my caravan thats stuck?

Drop a roof on em.... build one or whatever just crush em to death or dig a pit out and drop em like to the bottom of the map.

Good work everyone remember 1-17-09 is the deadline for entries to be submitted for judging.

Sorry if anyone is rushed by it being a week long challenge but i hate stuff that takes forever then never gets finished or forgotten.

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2009, 07:55:52 pm »

Another idea could be to just have screw pump windows. Fun for simulating boiling oil, etc.

Or magma screw pump windows would be ok 2 taking into account their is alot yet to go into the game that we cant do yet.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15