Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: 1 week castle building contest.  (Read 16192 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: 1 week castle building contest.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2009, 09:32:58 pm »

got my first traders on this map.
Spawned on 9 rhesus macaques.
GUESS HOW MANY FLYING MONKIES THE HAMMERDWARF MADE
I also have all the colors of stone but bright red.
its going to look sweet if it doesn't melt again.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 11:59:07 am »

Alright, this time my plans have been scaled up for viewing enjoyment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alright, now to point out the various parts I'll be doing.

Upper left corner: Crafting district. Those wooden posts will be holding up wooden roofs. If somebody can provide a reaction turning longland grass into a building material for thatched roofs, I'll be happy. Also featuring along the West wall various stockpile buildings.

Below those is a stone building which shall be the food production area, because no food of mine is being made outside! I might have to squeeze a windmill in there somewhere, and I'll need to construct a building to house the windmill. Directly to the East of the food production house is a small memorial to the lord of these lands.

Directly to the south of that is the food silos(For seeds and crops and flour only), which is directly North of the farms. Whatever modifications can make food much harder to grow, I would love to have them.  To the West of that is the barn.

Now taking a different route, in the upper-right of the main gate is the housing of the peasantry. I might construct some small stone houses or even make bedrooms in the keep for useful people, like legendaries.

Southwest of there is the Chapel, which is going to be a large zone designated to be a statue garden with a smaller statue garden for the Priest. I just need to find a way to make a commoner purple. Also, those wall segments outside will be parts of buttresses. The inside should be a good four z-levels high, as this is a large structure but by no means legendary.

South of that is the planned great hall area. I don't know what to do here, and I get the idea that it would be best to integrate it into the East wall of the keep.

Now for the Keep. The northern part will go up three z-levels and have a courtyard on the roof. The southern area will support and extra two or three z-levels where the nobility rests. But for now, what we can see. The southern area will be for guests and a small shrine to the Lord of these lands. The northern part will be the throne room, extending up two levels. The West side will have a staircase to the upper courtyard, and the West side will have a magicians tower.

Now this is the basic framework for DF. Now to add defenses. Not a problem, just a few small edits to the walls, a few extra structures...

Also I might try to squeeze a river in here, but it is proving difficult to find a site with what I want and a river that does not cause too many hills.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 12:06:20 pm »

Making a commoner purple is as easy as giving him a chair and telling him to count your stuff!
Make him a bookeeper.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 12:09:20 pm »

Danka.

Now, how to make these crops work the way I want them to...
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »

how are you getting all the stone you need?

My mineshaft is an okay way but there has to be a better way.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 12:33:09 pm »

won't be able to DF until later tonight. Need to buy textbooks/shoes/etc. etc. :P

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 12:37:31 pm »

*Pig tail shoes* ?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 12:43:37 pm »

Find a nearby hill. Turn it into a nearby pit.

And by pit, I mean something as wide as it is deep. Heck, wider. This thing needs to be a real quarry. Likely I'll use ramp designations 'till I reach a wanted size, then I'll dig deeper.

If I find I have too much stone, I'll probably fill it with water and call it a lake. Might even put a wizards tower in the middle.

Or possibly a pit for dangerous beasts.

And an extra please to Longland Grass modifications?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:48:36 pm by Duke 2.0 »

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 12:45:29 pm »

Nah...*Crocodile Leather Shoes* if possible...

So far my main construction has been a 9x11 above-ground tavern, with Rhyolite block walls, and woodblock floors...and that's still going on. I have some underground farms but those are a temporary measure, and i have an underground quarry...being on the coast has made extraction a bit iffy...soon the tavern will be ready though...one question I have though is how 3Dwarf processes ramps...I want a proper roof after all.

Since I'm living in salt-water territory, I also need to build a wood-block cistern and the appropriate screw pumps to manage it.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 12:46:03 pm »

Dang, no hills on my site.
Guess the shaft will have to do.
going to take forever for my two woodcutters to deforest this entire woodland map.
BUT I GOT A ROAD AND A RIVER.

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 05:21:59 pm »

I embarked on a nice, flat, heavily forested area with gabbro as my main building material. I looked up a basic structure for a castle, and it told me that castles were built from the outside in according to their location. Since I'm in a wetland I've started building a few turrets for my outer wall and walls in between following the many pools of water on the map, a precurser to my moat. There's also a nice brook streaming right through the top of what will be my outer, making a great moat once I channel it out. I've also built a temporary home for my humans where I think might be my main gate. The stairs to the mine is right above that. I have a total of three turrets and am building two more at the moment. I'm not sure how many more I'll build.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 05:56:16 pm »

Why is your Avatar an Elephant from Zoo tycoon 2?

Cuz i like that game and it is not merely and elephant it is a war elephant mounted by a dwarf.
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 05:57:22 pm »

hey I3erent ...

can I be a judge with you?

Done any other judges or names i missed?
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 06:30:11 pm »

You missed me. :P Competing. Taking a page from Oblivion, and building a full-fledged castle town, above-ground, with an assorted mix of taverns, hovels, farms, and monasteries. I believe later on, I'll have a dockyard ready as well.

At the moment, it's still spring in my game so with only 7 dwarves I can only do so much...I assume this contest means no modding in superdorfs? :P

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 06:40:39 pm »

I cannot find a site to my liking.

Now I know the DF map generator is good, but it isn't diverse enough for me. Seems all interesting landmasses are caused by bugs.

Damn. So, again, hill castles is out of the question. I need a flat map with a river (A REAL river, not a brook), hopefully no aquifer (Hey, I'll have enough trouble making the base of these things underground! And I need stone), and hopefully limestone or sandstone.

Other features such as being by the sea, by a road or a hill contained completely in a 5x5 area(You know, a hill that does not lead off the map) would be bonuses.

A 5x5 area would be the largest, as I don't plan to have a sprawling vill-

Actually, a sprawling village outside the walls would be interesting. Hmm...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15