Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: 1 week castle building contest.  (Read 16210 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: 1 week castle building contest.
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2009, 11:29:03 pm »

lol, the FPS dips whenever dwarves collide in the 1 tile thick halls.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 11:59:19 pm by ArkDelgato »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2009, 11:31:40 pm »

3 live animals (which rapidly get killed/replaced when some hunters/rangers showed up last immigration-a little crazily, one died to wolves, or rather bled to death after leaving about 20 pools of blood) 6 free pets, 39 humies to run around (one or two babies). No flowing water, 'isible or non. I'm pretty sure I started on a featureless place, 5x5.

Then again, I'm getting 40-70, but jerky graphically. Oh, init setting wasn't what did that, fixed. I just think it's a little odd that simspeed fluctuates so widely.

My humble offering. It's only a model.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:17:58 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2009, 01:28:59 am »

Whats with the 30 some long tiles of blood?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2009, 01:56:54 am »

This PoI should explain.It's 42, btw. Perhaps Life, the Uni'erse, and E'erything mandated his death.

I put PoI for just about e'erything that's interesting. The only thing you won't see is the cobaltite deposit under the north, because it's too deep.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2009, 01:51:59 am »

Speed one marks dwarves are machine guns.

I saw 32 steel bolts get shot in 2 seconds.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

BRING IT ORCS HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2009, 08:38:46 am »

Damnit...

I just figured out my plans are too large to fit on the default starting area. If they are that large, open pit quarrying won't do me any good! Back to the design board.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2009, 08:59:07 am »

pity i missed out on this competition. i like this sort of crazy construction thing.

anyways - can we have pictures from 3dwarf of some of these castles? the ones posted in 2d all look really good, especially the huge one with the curvy wall that runs near the water. no matter what people say about the crooked walls, ive been all over england and bits of europe, and got to see plenty of castles and fortified towns, and even seriously injured my knee falling down one of the curvy stairs in connarfen castle in wales.

one thing was pretty clear, with castles they very often stuck the outer walls haphazardly all over the place, especially anywhere with hills and rivers or cliffs and lakes. odd terrain pretty much always meant curvy crooked walls. and hardly any castles were in any way symmetrical. they were built over decades or centuries by different people, and had all kinds of random mismatching bits.

the straightness of the walls really didn't matter that much until cannons came in, in which case castles became shaped like perfect many pointed stars. cannon fire was more likely to glance off a wall if it hit at an angle, and while breaching the inward pointing bits was easier, getting troops to such a hole was stupid because soldiers on the two encompassing points would tear them up. but these castles were way way later then DF, and i could go on all night.

so lets see some 3d castle pictures already then.

edit: hey wait, duke is still posting, does this mean the competition cut off time isnt over yet?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2009, 09:00:59 am »

To be fair, I don't think there was really any deadline. The illusion of a deadline made us want to get crackin' at it.

Edit: Upon revision of my math, my designs COULD fit inside the area specified. Huzzah! Now to plan out my quarry. This should be interesting.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 09:52:02 am by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2009, 03:37:04 pm »

Extended deadline?
Huzzah!
I have most of the surrounding affects (and a fishing boat lol)
but...no castle...

Artyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2009, 04:44:34 pm »

Thanks for clearing that up Cheshire Cat, it means a lot.

And I've finished the first floor of the keep, and I'm working on the outer wall a bit more now. Now it's all three walls thick, but the turrets still need work before I post it in 3Dwarf. I also need to put the crenellations on too, then it'll look cool.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2009, 10:45:28 am »

a pitty that constructed rooms are worth so much less than dugouts.
my innkeeper does not accept his room as adequate. :(

Maybe if I replace the felsite walls with obsidian ones....I'm still stuck with worthless wooden floors and ceilings though.

Also: don't dig wells into muddy pools, even when 'inside' they refill now, drowning the works below.
(Solve: remove ceiling in winter and dig out frozen water.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:47:48 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2009, 02:42:34 pm »

Woah, the kobolds got my super expensive flask.

ANOTHER RACE TO SEIGE ME JOY.

Oh lord, a goblin crossbowmans head flew up through my murder holes and landed on by  Machicolations.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:08:20 pm by ArkDelgato »

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2009, 05:48:29 pm »

I read the whole thread, and I still am not quite certain what sort of contest the OP had in mind.

He said "anything goes", but that covers an awful lot of ground.  If editing the raws, turning off seiges, giving dwarves superpowers and the ability to work non-stop, and tile hacking are allowed, then this should be specified clearly.  Extra credit for supplying useful files for those participants who are unsure about editing the raws themselves.

"Anything goes" is a wide-open door to the enthusiastic.  With sufficient user cleverness, a combination of Gibbed Dwarf Fortress Tweak and Autohotkey macros would probably get you a hill to build a fortress on, for example.

Other questions remain unanswered.  What, exactly, are the criteria for judging?  What qualifies as a legal "castle" and what doesn't?  What extra features are ignored and what given brownie points?  If the OP has given any sort of guidance to the other judges, they're mighty good at keeping secrets.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2009, 11:58:44 pm »

I read the whole thread, and I still am not quite certain what sort of contest the OP had in mind.

He said "anything goes", but that covers an awful lot of ground.  If editing the raws, turning off seiges, giving dwarves superpowers and the ability to work non-stop, and tile hacking are allowed, then this should be specified clearly.  Extra credit for supplying useful files for those participants who are unsure about editing the raws themselves.

"Anything goes" is a wide-open door to the enthusiastic.  With sufficient user cleverness, a combination of Gibbed Dwarf Fortress Tweak and Autohotkey macros would probably get you a hill to build a fortress on, for example.

Other questions remain unanswered.  What, exactly, are the criteria for judging?  What qualifies as a legal "castle" and what doesn't?  What extra features are ignored and what given brownie points?  If the OP has given any sort of guidance to the other judges, they're mighty good at keeping secrets.

Are there prizes? If not, I think the main idea is to just build some castles.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2009, 08:29:46 pm »

I beleive AnYtHiNg GoEsS is pretty self explanatory, covers it all.
Yes the main idea was to build some castles!
When they are complete we will judge them.
Every judge has its own criteria for judging these castles and the judging system as stated was a rather boolean way to get the coolest fort to with rather than a rigid point system.

That being said, on with the construction!
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15