Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Riddlebell - Community fortress with a twist  (Read 3023 times)

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
Re: Community fortress with a twist
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 08:34:22 pm »

Shurikane, this is how I'm gonna run your mining if its ok with you, if no requests or specifics will designate an area let him mine for a bit, then undesignate and smooth which will be followed by engravings. Will just kind of designate spots at random with a preference to stone areas unless there is a request. Any particualr kind of stone blocks if not will pick based off of his profile.

Cool.  :)  Just remember to engrave only the floors.  :D

Hey, that brings me to a thought: if a dwarf engraves a masterpiece on a wall, then digs the wall out himself, will he tantrum at the destruction of his own masterpiece?   ;D

Go for whichever stones he likes in his profile.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 09:01:50 pm »

Ok, a couple of wardogs, a hunting dog, and a rope. I don't know what to do with the rest of the points. I guess someone else could have them, preferably the cook.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 09:04:43 pm »

Ok, have found a terrifying marsh, with ~50% with an aquifer, a magma pipe, flux, and sand, has a brook, so won't have to worry about getting over-run by skeletal fish

Good timing jack, as just getting things ready to embark. Will add to the story and put up profiles here in a bit.

Edit- Unsuprisingly, having a bit of fun getting a descent set of dwarfs. Keep getting nearly all females. Have seen a few dwarfs that would of fit some people's dwarfs quite well.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:00:35 pm by Hawklaser »

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 11:30:19 pm »

Ok, here is the  relevant levels of the map right after Embark.
The aquifer is on the upper half of the map, and no aquifer on the lower half.

Profiles, and expanded story will be up shortly. So if have a preferance as to where to dig in at, say it now.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: Riddlebell - Community fortress with a twist
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 01:03:50 am »

Ooh! I like my personality!

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 10:53:15 am »

He is ruled by irresistible cravings and urges

AWRIGHT!!   ;D

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 12:29:18 pm »

I tried to match up personalities to what  would fit the dwarf as well. Good to see that you like them.

Some other information is sparks did manage to get chosen as the expedition leader, but Jack managed to befriend 4 out of the 6 other dwarfs on the trip. The civ we left from has no bauxite, but we might find some in the sandstone aquifer.

If no one cares where the dig in happens it will be in the SE corner of the map, as it is away from the magma pipe's imps, fire and magma man. This would be as a precaution against them deciding to start a fire on the surface, since it is on the other side of the brook.

I'll start things off about noon, and will go up to the fall caravan.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 12:34:53 pm »

She is always tense and jittery.
Heh, justification for wanting to trap everything.  ;)

Eh, guess I need to put in some standing orders. this is everything from before condensed into one post.

1. Food should be maintained at an amount of 10 booze and 10 prepared meals to each dwarf.  A population of 7 dwarves should have at least 70 food and 70 drink stored.  Massive amounts more are fine too.

2. No cooking the booze or turtles. You barbarian.

3. I'll do whatever work is required to create such a stockpile.

4. Guess I'll need somewhere to do all this.  a 10x6 dirt room should be good enough for farming, and just throw my workshops and food storage area downstairs in an open area of the basement. Need to put walls around it though and build traps on the only way(s) to leave or enter.  Actually, I'd like my bed down there with the food too.

5. Previously mentioned workshops are a butcher's shop, a kitchen, a still, and a farmer's workshop.

6. Once basic food needs are met I'd like a walled area on the surface to do farming. Preferably tunnel access only. Trap the tunnel as soon as possible
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 05:07:22 pm »

We are up to the first summer. Notable Events so far-
6th Granite - Jack's dogs have managed to kill 2 harpies after Evergreen made everyone aware of them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
8th Granite - The temporay storage was finished.
6th Felsite- Everything moved away from the wagon.

And pictures of the fort as of the first of summer-
Surface
First Floor/Temp storage
2nd floor/Farming
3rd floor/temporary workshops
Here are is our current food record

Went down 3 floors so Urist would have some stone, and I decided there are some workshops that will be better off as general use workshops which I won't make dwarf specific unless asked to, such as kennels and other not frequently used ones. But most workshops will still be dwarf specific.

Taking a short break before I continue on through summer, so feel free to update your dwarfs orders if you want. I do plan to be at least up to the fall caravan by the end of today.
-
Kyterra's Jounal- Entry #1

Well, we all made it out to this accursed swamp in one peice, and just before the food the mountain homes gave us ran out. Its a good thing the others packed in as much food as they did. Though I still can't fathom why in the world Urist packed 39 blocks of stone into the wagon.

The wagon broke down between some magma and the brook that runs through this swampy land. With all our food being in the wagon, and so close to magma which is known for being homes to creatures of fire, I quickly suggested we move across the brook and start start carving our home. No one put up any objections, as if a creature crawled out of the magma and started a fire all of our food and booze would be caught up in it.

While Jack stood gaurd by our wagon, everyone else worked on getting moved across the brook. Stife and Evergreen set about making a clearing, while Urist happily went to work mining. Everyone else started hauling our belongings across the brook. It looks like me might just be able to make do out here, despite how little the nobles gave us.

Though later in the spring, I am starting to see why we got sent out here, getting people to work together outside of the danger of the fire has been rather dificult. We each like to do whatever we want, without worrying too much bout each other.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 06:32:26 pm »

I'm amazed you got a dwarf that met the description of Evergreen so well. Bravo!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 10:53:47 pm »

Summer and autmun have been rather un-eventfull. Least until the caravan arrived. we started rushing tomove what crafts we could to the newly constructed Trade Depot, though we were not able to get much there as there is still a lack of bins. When the merchants said they were bout to leave, we stopped hauling stuff up and Evergreen raced to the Depot to trade what we had managed to get up to the depot for whatever she could get.

ooc-
Seems woodcutting and herbalism beat out most other wood related crafts.

Mephansteras, you have ~300 dwarfbucks of trade goods to trade away. There are a handful of bars, gems, 1 pick, 1 warhammer, 1 mace, a couple of empty barrel's, some meat, plump helmets, cloth and thread, some leather bags, and oddly enough, no booze to trade for. I just listed the goods that were under 300.

Current food stocks-110+fish, 18 plant, 28 meat, 83 drink, 25 seeds. If you want anymore current information just ask.

Now would also be the time for any requests as to what to request from the mountain homes.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 01:16:38 am »

I worry about having a dwarf with dye in his name . . .

Ulp!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42:51 am »

Hmm...we seem good for food right now. I think we'll take the bars, barrels, and bags. Oh, and at least one silk thread or cloth if they have any, since that'll help stave off moods that need silk.

That is, unless someone desperately wants one of the weapons. But will 300 worth to trade, I doubt we'll be able to get more then 200 worth out of the traders, so I'm thinking cheap stuff that'll help with the jobs we need to do.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 09:23:44 pm »

Well, started working towards the elven caravan, and shortly after the dwarf caravan left, 7 new evictee's showed up. An animal disector,peasant, bowyer, weaver, cheese maker, furnace operator, and a glass maker. All up for grabs, will keep working towards the spring caravan, while doing so, I will have them either idle or do stuff related to their base profesion.

Edit: I will allow people to claim multiple dwarfs depending on amount of people interested, and depending on how long some dwarfs go unclaimed. Otherwise will end up with way to many dwarfs not doing anything overly usefull, as most things done in the fort will be off of the players requests instead of what ever I think is needed.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:51:12 pm by Hawklaser »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 09:57:42 pm »

If no one ends up claiming the bowyer, Evergreen will take him/her on as a helper. Probably primarily as a woodcutter and hauler of wood and furniture. If that does happen, take hauling jobs off for Evergreen.

Potential name: Alder for male, Willow for female.

Obviously, if someone wants that dwarf they're welcome to them.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2] 3