Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Riddlebell - Community fortress with a twist  (Read 3021 times)

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Riddlebell - Community fortress with a twist
« on: January 08, 2009, 09:46:27 pm »

This is a comunity fortress with a bit of a twist. Instead of just picking out a dwarf and its skills and having me run it, this is going to be a bit more interactive and player driven than most communitiy forts. Did something like this with some other games I have played, and the seven cities of glass fort reminded me of it.

How this will work is I will run the game, based off of how you tell me to use your dwarf. If you want something mined out you either need to do it, or get some one with mining to do it for you. Same with every other profession, a good example of how this will work is a brewer who says if there is less than 10 boose per dwarf, brew 3 times, and only brew sweet pods. So you can either work with your fellow dwarfs or seal your self off in a city-state style.Just remember if you don't tell me what your dwarf is going to do it could end up idling, once it runs out of things to do, or end up using up all of a resource. As I will use my dwarf as a mostly as a behind the scenes patch job person.

I will try and keep this going at a brisk pace. Will give a bit of time between posts for those that are playing to post commands for their dwarf, if no plans are given, will have that dwarf continue with last ones given. Also when I will look for player input will mostly be when trading starts or season changes. Also at more significant events like ambushes and sieges, but not for kobolds or snatchers. Also imigrants will end up being used only as an emergency millitary if they are not claimed, otherwise they will end up just hauling items around.

There will be no set trader, unless the players can agree on one person, otherwise who ever gets to the depot after goods are moved there will get to decide what to trade for. I will post lists of goods, general lists for the most part, will mention the more unusual items as well.

Since this is more player driven, I hope players will help narate the events, as I will be doing so from the outpost liason/manager position who will also do various odd jobs around the fort. I will take requests as to what to ask for from the caravans.

--
Kyterra(Hawklaser)-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What?! I'm being sent to the middle of a swamp to manage 6 other dwarfs that are being evicted by the nobility? Why the heck are they getting evicted? Please, help me out here Olan!

-Olan- Sorry, but the nobles told me to only give you this clipboard, and that wagon over there and its contents. They wouldn't even tell me anything about this other than it is for the good of the mountainhome. And with the hammerer there when I got this news I didn't dare ask any questions. You know how unreasonable the nobles can be. Least they gave you today to pack up your belongings. The other 6 dwarfs will be notified soon. You all have to be gone before noon tomorrow.

Kyterra then marches off in a huff to the wagon all the while grumbling. After getting to the wagon, and looking inside to only find 2 axes,and only enough of barrels of food and drink to reach the destination and maybe last a week, and lets out a cry of anguish. The nobles must be off their rockers. How do they expect us to survive out in the middle of a swamp with just this? Least have sometime to make some hasty preperations for the journey. Though before rushing off to make her preperations Kyterra reviews the clipboard, which has information on the others who will be accompanying her. The contents are as follows -

Borg (Skid)

Evergreen(Mephansteras)

Jack(Jack Bread)

Sparks(Im_Sparks)

Strife(Strife26 )

Urist(Shurikane)

Hmm, looking at this, this doesnt seem to be a total disaster. I wonder what the Nobles have against this bunch? Guess I will have to wait till we start the trip to find out. Though why in the world did the nobles choose me? Is it some kind of punishment? What could I have ever of done to make them mad?  Though I can't say I'm dissapointed in this happening, I have seen too many friends buried because of the Hammerer carrying out the nobles crazy sense of justice. I'm grateful it gets me away from their thoughts for now. And it does seem they will be sending a caravan to come visit in fall, so things can't be all that bad.

I don't have time now to look things over much more, I have to go pack my things, and use what little cash I do have to get supplies to help us survive in the marsh, as the nobles sure didn't give us much to work with.

And with that Kyterra rushes off to start preperations for her new life out in a swamp with 6 dwarfs she has never met before. Though she can't shake the feeling that they are all being sent off to die out there thanks to how little was being sent with them
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:13:52 am by Hawklaser »

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: Community fortress with a twist
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 10:29:33 pm »

I call being the leader of this expedition. If you can choose a secondary skill, it's fishering! Make it in a warm swamp with untamed wilds, please(If I may say). I just want a fffffffload of beer with my 200 points.

EDIT: I love you for doing this.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:31:21 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:02:31 pm »

As to the leader, sure your dwarf can think it's the leader, but each person is going be in charge of what their own dwarf does. You can do any skill you want, but if you want it above nothing starting out you will need to spend points on it. As for enabled skills, take none for granted, as if you don't tell me to turn it on, I won't.

Oh, I should mention who ever builds a workshop will be the only one using it aside from the odd moody dwarf.

I'll expand the story a bit if there is enough intrest.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 11:21:21 pm »

I request a dorf! Name him Jack. He will start the military! Give him proficient swords dwarf, no tag armor user, novice shield user, and... no tag animal caretaker. As for items... I'd have to think about that... Using all ten skill points is 30 regular points right?

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 11:54:51 pm »

No, it takes a bit more than 30 points for skills. It gets more expensive with higher skills,  and I'm not sure if there is a reference for their costs.
You would have 138 points left with those skills.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 12:45:07 am »

I call dibs on a miner-mason-engraver (equally distributed or almost) obsessed with stone.  His only goal in life is to incessantly mine, pick up the rubble and make blocks out of the stone before smoothing and engraving each and every stone floor he can find - inside or outside the fort itself.  He'll go so far as to mine out without regard for room carving, only to come back later and build walls at the request of the fort's community.

Being poor at counting, he has a hard time keeping track of his stone and has ceased to bother a long time ago - thus, small-time masons and craftsdwarves who wish to build stone furniture can easily snatch some rubble and he'll hardly notice.

However, when asked to build something himself, he'll refuse to use anything except blocks save for his first workshop, and will only build in places that bear engravings - although he tolerates making an exception for soil, seeing as not much can be done with it.

Being uninterested in anything outside of his passion, he also refuses to haul anything other than stones to the fort's stockpiles.

His dream is to be buried after his death - buried in a mausoleum of his own making, surrounded by the stone he loves so much.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 01:10:31 am »

Ok, so that makes a total of 4 of the initial 7 claimed.
A Self-proclaimed leader/fisher with lots of beer.
A swordsdwarf
A Stone obsessed dwarf(mining/mason/engraver)
And my odd job dwarf.

Shurikane think about what goods your dwarf would bring out with him. Guessing at least a pick of some sort. And with doing mining, you will end up having a large influence on the design of the fortress.

Hopefully will have the last three dwarfs by tommorrow afternoon by ~5pm pacific time. So I can get a world gen'ed and a suitable site found to kick things off. After finding a site, I will upload the map so who-ever has mining can decide where to start digging.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 01:25:24 am »

Why a pick?  Two picks!  You can never be sure.  Oh, and if I can, a stone block to build my first workshop with.  Food?  Bah!  Leave it to the cooks!  They'll know what to do!

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:32:10 am »

Of course you can bring a block, you could bring a lot of blocks if you wanted. After all thats why I'm letting players choose what to bring, as that represents their possesions or what ever they bought in preperation for their new life.

Just remeber 200 points total to spend between skills and items.

Only things gaurenteed are the 2 axes and 15 food and drink, rest depends on players.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »

I'd like a skilled brewer, competent cook, grower, novice weaponsmith. Name them Borg.

They should bring 4 dogs, 16 turtles, a pair of large serrated copper disks, and 4 plump helmet spawn.

Preferably the dogs will get trained and used in the military, their offspring will be butchered for meat.
The disks should go toward trapping the entrances of the food storage room and the farming chamber if we get a mechanic. Until then just keep them next to where my dwarf sleeps.
Hopefully at least some of the turtle shells can be moved inside before they rot away, I don't want any moods going wrong over a lack of them.

I don't want to do any labors that would ruin my chance of getting an artifact weapon mood.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 01:27:06 pm »

I'll take one. A woodcutter/carpenter/herbalist. Named Oakenbeard if male or Evergreen if female. Split points evenly in those three areas. Extra points should buy at least one dog (pair if possible) and the rest split between turtles and rum.

Jobs: The only active labors are woodcutting, carpentry, animal training and care, health care, crossbow-making, woodworking, plant gathering, wood hauling, furniture hauling, food hauling. Everything else turned off.

Initial orders: Cut down at least 10 trees and gather any nearby bushes to supplement food supplies. Make a kennel if one hasn't already been made and train the dogs as war dogs. They should be assigned to him/her to protect from ambushes.

Standing orders: Clearcut all trees and gather all available plants, starting from the fortress proper. Dangerous wildlife should be avoided, and he/she will go underground and work on making stuff during dangerous times. Once ambushes start happening, he/she will stay underground during caravan visits to avoid being caught outside during an ambush.
As wood becomes available he/she will make sure that Beds are made for everyone, then barrels, and then bins. Can make crossbows and wooden bolts on request by other dwarves. Personal room should be furnished with all wooden items made by his/her own hands. As time goes on, and I start making better stuff, I want to replace lower quality items with higher quality ones.
As soon as stone is available, make a carpentry workshop, bowyers workshop, and craftdwarf's workshop.
War dog's offspring should be kept and trained for war when old enough.

Generally helpful to others, but very willful and dislikes taking orders. Requests are usually granted, however.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 04:46:41 pm »

Urist McRockophile is busy loading block after block of stone into the wagon, as many as he is allowed.  Once he's done, he clings to a single barrel of dwarven beer and fiercely defends it with the help of his two picks.

"Stone goodies for everyone but no one steals my beer!" he yells in an already drunken fit.

Initial orders: dig down a level, in soil if it's reasonably accessible, and build stone workshop as soon as there's enough space for it.  Then carve/build necessary rooms to accommodate his party.

Standing orders:
-Makes digging his first priority.  Will immediately go dig if the community expresses a need for more space and/or stone.
-Turns all stone he finds into blocks.  No exceptions.  Someone else is gonna have to take care of the furniture!
-Smooths and engraves floors.  Refuses to construct on whatever's not engraved.
-Will carve rooms in soil, but not in stone.  In stone, will strip-mine the place and then build walls and other sorts of divisions.
-Has no real interest outside of stone.  No pets, no management (unless he somehow ends up mayor, which would surprise him.)
-Says "Sure!" to whatever orders that concern him and is happy to construct as his fortmates see fit.  He has little care for the fort's design decision outside of his personal space, like his bedroom/dining room/office.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:01:00 pm by Shurikane »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 07:41:27 pm »

One left, right?
I'll take a chapie.
Strife by name.
One point in armorsmithing.
Four in armor use.
Five in shield use.

If he likes cats, that is a big bonus. If he does, I'll bring one kitten along. Also, 7 rock nuts. Otherwise, equally distributed between stacks of 26 cheap meat and barrels with 26 units of booze. Anything odd can go to someone else.

Strife is a strange dwarf. He seeks to master as many weapon arts as possible. However, until the fort has at least 26 dwarves, he can do whatever is neccissary for everyone. For now, can he take an axe (have wood cutting turned on) and slice down a few trees. Then he'll build a fishery, kitchen, and farmer's workshop. He'll also build a farm plot to plant the rock nuts. Until he can start military duty, he'll do odd farm jobs. If we start metalworking before 26 is hit,he'll do some armor crafting to (but no bar making, he has standards).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Hawklaser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 07:43:50 pm »

Now to gonna start working on finding an interesting swamp to embark in. Will update the story and post profiles in the first post once I find a location.

Shurikane, this is how I'm gonna run your mining if its ok with you, if no requests or specifics will designate an area let him mine for a bit, then undesignate and smooth which will be followed by engravings. Will just kind of designate spots at random with a preference to stone areas unless there is a request. Any particualr kind of stone blocks if not will pick based off of his profile.

nagual678

• Bay Watcher
  • Noble Sam says: I want YOU for the Fortress Guard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 07:55:48 pm »

I want to be a potash maker. Just use my dwarf to make potash all the time.

Fortress ruined.
Pages: [1] 2 3