Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: Sea kittens  (Read 24684 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Sea kittens
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2009, 08:16:16 pm »

Yup. I try to be consistent between places I frequent.  ;D
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:33 pm »

Humans are clearly better physically than any animal. They can produce devastating little metal balls from their hands that pierce holes into any other creature at hundreds of meters, can run at speeds of 300+ km per hour, can hold their breath for hours or even days, skim on the surface of the ocean faster than any fish or other animal could. They can lift objects thousands of times their own weight, can stare out into the sky as far away as the next solar system at least, and they can secrete nearly impenetrable substances with which they make their nests.

And do other stuff good too.

We also kill ourselves over the stupidest of reasons

Like when someone shot an ostrich because he was hungry and started ww1

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 02, 2009, 10:54:57 pm »

I read somewhere that while the natural predators would kill their prey, such as herbivores, they relied on short burst of speed and surprise, but the actual chance of success was pretty low. OTOH, when humans did the same they mostly just out-jogged the prey to death.

Quote from: Tvtropes.org
Though most people in a modern society don't realize, humans are near the very top in terms of endurance compared to other creatures. Combined with our other advantages, humans are the Terminators of the animal kingdom. We can chase prey for hours. We can hold grudges forever. Rip out our "claws"? We don't care, we'll pull out new ones. We can warp reality so that everything is trying to kill you.
Gazelle 1: Oh man, I've been running for a whole five minutes and that human's still chasing me!
Gazelle 2: It gets worse. The wolves have started teaming up with them.
Gazelle 1: Oh God...

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 03, 2009, 12:06:38 am »

Bwahaha, I'm so sigging this quote from the comments section of the article.
I think PETA made a big mistake. Calling fish “sea Kittens” is likely to increase consumption in South East Asia.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 03, 2009, 12:18:44 am »

They might only be keeping hens.  Roosters will try to kill each other, especially when there are hens around.  Hence why beak trimming isn't all that bad and free range is bad.  There was that whole deal with PETA harassing those monks that were using those practices, even though there were much larger businesses doing the same thing.

Harassment is PETA's modus operandi, among others. They're an "ends justify the means" organization. Believe me when I say that if the organization believed that a massive public slaughter of animals would further their cause, the gutters would run red with blood.

The members aren't always wing-nuts but the leadership is has gotten to where sanctimonious delirium is quite common, it seems. Nothing is below them.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 03, 2009, 01:54:08 am »

The members aren't always wing-nuts but the leadership is has gotten to where sanctimonious delirium is quite common, it seems. Nothing is below them.

They've fooled you.

The truth is, they don't care about animals.  No organization with leaders that cared could be that incompetent at their stated goal, but so competent at fundraising, without design.  They care about money. 

The leaders make money off the wingnuts.  It's exactly the same scheme as Scientology, but without the whole "we're totally a religion" tax breaks.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2009, 05:07:08 am »

Don't think they're going to miss out on that for long, though!

I'm sure somewhere, someone is busy pecking away at a keyboard, compiling the sacred texts of the Church of the Holy Seal Cub.

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2009, 12:44:54 pm »

The way I see it, look at where we are in the food chain: we're up there with lions and tigers and bears.  Especially bears.  But all those critters got where they are by having lots of speed, strength, senses, and natural weaponry like claws and fangs.  We're up there due to our brains.

Our biggest advantage is our brain.  Put a human up against a tiger, and you'll wind up with a well-fed tiger.  But when that human makes a spear, it becomes a much tougher fight for the tiger.  When a bunch of spear-wielding humans use their brainpower to coordinate an effort that puts even wolves to shame, that tiger is seriously fucked, no matter how strong, fast, and pointy it is.

And the versatility is related to what you mentioned, Mephansteras: we're really fairly pathetic for a top-tier predator, but we can recognize rivals' weaknesses, and have just enough to exploit those weaknesses.  We can outlast a cheetah, outrange a polar bear, out-quick-kill a wolf, and outfish damn well near anything.

Even unarmed, we still have yet another advantage due to our opposable thumbs and big brains.

NAIROBI - A 73-year-old Kenyan grandfather reached into the mouth of an attacking leopard and tore out its tongue to kill it, authorities said Wednesday.

Peasant farmer Daniel M’Mburugu was tending to his potato and bean crops in a rural area near Mount Kenya when the leopard charged out of the long grass and leapt on him.

M’Mburugu had a machete in one hand but dropped that to thrust his fist down the leopard’s mouth. He gradually managed to pull out the animal’s tongue, leaving it in its death-throes.

“It let out a blood-curdling snarl that made the birds stop chirping,” he told the daily Standard newspaper of how the leopard came at him and knocked him over.

The leopard sank its teeth into the farmer’s wrist and mauled him with its claws. “A voice, which must have come from God, whispered to me to drop the panga (machete) and thrust my hand in its wide-open mouth. I obeyed,” M’Mburugu said.

As the leopard was dying, a neighbor heard the screams and arrived to finish it off with a machete.

M’Mburugu was toasted as a hero in his village Kihato after the incident earlier this month. He was also given free hospital treatment by astonished local authorities.

“This guy is very lucky to be alive,” Kenya Wildlife Service official Connie Maina told Reuters, confirming details of the incident.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 03, 2009, 01:15:46 pm »

Even unarmed, we still have yet another advantage due to our opposable thumbs and big brains.

I knew Kenyans were hardcore, but that beats it all.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 03, 2009, 02:52:28 pm »

How tall was he?! How tall was he?!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 03, 2009, 02:54:06 pm »

NAIROBI - A 73-year-old Kenyan grandfather reached into the mouth of an attacking leopard and tore out its tongue to kill it, authorities said Wednesday.

His wallet must say "bad motherfucker."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2009, 05:36:45 pm »

He almost sounds like a DF dwarf.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2009, 06:16:10 pm »

Alright, screw it PETA.

For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

You decide.

*snif*

That's beautiful, man.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2009, 06:21:36 pm »

That guy... WINS AT LIFE.

Seriously... 73 years old, killing a big cat with your BARE HANDS. That's so hardcore we need a new word just to describe it. Like... diamondcore, or adamantinecore.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2009, 06:37:25 pm »

How about, "Beyond Metal Core."

The capitols are part of the spelling.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19