Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: Sea kittens  (Read 24715 times)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sea kittens
« Reply #150 on: February 01, 2009, 12:07:10 pm »

we're the weakest, slowest, blindest, and deafest creatures on Earth.

Actually, humans have some of the best overall sight. "Weakest, slowest, and deafest" isn't correct either, but "weaker, slower, and deafer" is.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 01, 2009, 12:13:29 pm »

Actually, humans have some of the best overall sight. "Weakest, slowest, and deafest" isn't correct either, but "weaker, slower, and deafer" is.
Also, there are a lot of things worse than us.  Snails, for example.  Bats, although they fly and have better hearing.  Slothes are another example of something worse.  Not to mention, someone really applying maximum brain power could overcome just about any creature.  Even a whale.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2009, 12:47:51 pm »

We also have opposable thumbs.  Opposable thumbs mean ranged weapons, even if it's just a large rock.  Or we can strangle prey or gouge out eyes.

Additionally, we have ridiculous endurance.  We can run down our prey, despite not being faster than it.  We're basically the opposite of the cheetah.

Our hearing isn't too bad either, we just don't hear highs and lows well.  We're just numbed by living in places with a lot of noise, like cities.  When we get out into the country where there's less noise, we can hear very well.

Basically, the only thing we suck at is smelling.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 01, 2009, 12:53:01 pm »

Contrary to popular belief apposable does not mean bendable.  Monkeys can bend their thumbs.  They are capable of picking up and throwing rocks just like us.  It really refers to the fact that we can reposition our thumb so that the hand view from the side looks like this:

_____

Or this

_____
   __/

Of course that's just a crappy ACII image of the hand.  Someone with the patience can do something better.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Zeful

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 01, 2009, 04:39:43 pm »

Our Tactile senses aren't that good either. Most other animals can detect seismic events much further in advance than some of our advanced seismographs can (especially on the coast, when the quake occurred several miles out to sea, where there is next to no equipment).

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 01, 2009, 04:54:51 pm »

We also don't use much in the way of pheromones.  At all.
Just so I remember

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 01, 2009, 05:20:55 pm »

And that's pretty much entirely due to your nose being almost two meters from the ground. 

People who actually try to cultivate their sense of smell can get quite good at using it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:13:37 pm by Qmarx »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 01, 2009, 07:28:11 pm »

Aren't we one of the minorty that can actually see the colour red too?
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2009, 08:11:08 pm »

Well, a point that it's all relative. One thing we do very well is taste. I believe that's one area where we really excell as a species. And that has survival advantages. 

Infact, I just came back from eating a whole mess of barbequed pork ribs, and they tasted...absolutely delicious.
For they would be your masters.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2009, 08:47:57 am »

Dwarves have the best sense of taste. Just look at the crap they eat.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 02, 2009, 11:02:33 am »

Well, a point that it's all relative. One thing we do very well is taste. I believe that's one area where we really excell as a species. And that has survival advantages.
Yeah, humans taste great.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2009, 11:55:32 am »

Yeah, humans taste great.

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2009, 12:41:17 pm »

On the subject of peta...

They tried to get a commercial in the Superbowl.

Too bad they failed.

I am personally against the censorship of this ad. It seems like a silly thing to flip out about, but whatever.

On other notes, PETA are NOT EEO. Sure, they will hire you if you are a Jewish Black gay Guy, but
Spoiler: Not if you eat meat. (click to show/hide)
Anyone else notice the inherent failure of meeting those qualifications requiring you to fail those qualitifcations.

"Ability to interact and communicate with a variety of people in a professional manner" versus "Commitment to the objectives of the organization"
Recursive fail loop. I must be professional while telling people to stop calling them fish and start calling them sea kittens...

PETA: Making Boat's brain hurt since as long as he can remember.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2009, 12:58:49 pm »

Qualifications:
Ability to exercise independent judgment
Ability to handle confidential information with discretion required
Okay, ability to excercise independant judgment, that pretty much screws everyone over.

You are also expected to be able to handle secret files, nothing suspicious in that. The fact that they seem to have secret files and are screaming it more or less elimanates any chance of someone with the ability to decide for himself/herself from ever showing up, seeing as this probably should be reported to the police.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2009, 02:07:05 pm »

Also, there are a lot of things worse than us.  Snails, for example.  Bats, although they fly and have better hearing.  Slothes are another example of something worse.  Not to mention, someone really applying maximum brain power could overcome just about any creature.  Even a whale.

Humans are pretty neat, actually. I read an interesting article once that did a 'humans vs animals' Olympics thing years ago. Basically looking at how humans perform in the Olympics compared to the best animals for the task. Fish for swimming, cheetas for sprints, etc. And while the verdict was that humans wouldn't win any of those events, humans were the only species that could actually compete in all of those events. And it's that flexibility that allows humans to do so well in the world. Not the best at anything (other then tool use), but the ability to do just about anything to some degree.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19