Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: Sea kittens  (Read 24722 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Sea kittens
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2009, 03:07:58 pm »

You cannot pull off eating only meat while being healthy nowadays, too much pesticides end up in meat for it to be completely healthy.
[Citation Needed]

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2009, 03:20:35 pm »

There is a difference between sea kittens and real kittens. Crazy old Russian women don't keep 130 fish alive in a two-room apartment.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2009, 03:24:22 pm »

There is a difference between sea kittens and real kittens. Crazy old Russian women don't keep 130 fish alive in a two-room apartment.
Zoos don't stock large transparent tanks filled to the brim with cats.

Although that would be an interesting exhibit.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Chandrasekhar

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIES_WHEN_KILLED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2009, 03:39:14 pm »

Actually, the current bovine industry uses enough vegtables as fodder to feed the world over. Plus when Ethiopia had its famine, farmers were still providing vegatables for the European meat industry.
The factor that causes most famine nowadays isn't the amount of food.  It's the distribution of food.  When the infrastructure is being blown up by insurgents, or all the aid sent is being funneled to two-bit dictators, it doesn't matter whether you have enough corn to feed ten thousand people, or enough beef to feed two thousand; you won't be feeding anyone 'till the situation is stabilized.  World hunger has little to do with optimizing the use of our farmland, and everything to do with politics.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2009, 04:55:10 pm »

The factor that causes most famine nowadays isn't the amount of food.  It's the distribution of food.  When the infrastructure is being blown up by insurgents, or all the aid sent is being funneled to two-bit dictators, it doesn't matter whether you have enough corn to feed ten thousand people, or enough beef to feed two thousand; you won't be feeding anyone 'till the situation is stabilized.  World hunger has little to do with optimizing the use of our farmland, and everything to do with politics.

True
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2009, 09:12:47 pm »

Free ranged chickens try to kill each other.
Where'd you get that? Over here plenty of people keep chickens and I've never seen any of them attempt to kill another chicken.
They might only be keeping hens.  Roosters will try to kill each other, especially when there are hens around.  Hence why beak trimming isn't all that bad and free range is bad.  There was that whole deal with PETA harassing those monks that were using those practices, even though there were much larger businesses doing the same thing.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2009, 09:13:36 pm »

I bet they must just love the University of South Carolina
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2009, 10:19:17 pm »

you people cannot imagine how tempted i am to point out the bay 12 forums to PETA. just to see what kind of demons would be unleashed.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2009, 10:26:22 pm »

you people cannot imagine how tempted i am to point out the bay 12 forums to PETA. just to see what kind of demons would be unleashed.

I doubt there is adamantine around the PETA headquarters.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2009, 10:27:28 pm »

I doubt there is adamantine around the PETA headquarters.

there are sea kittens though.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 18, 2009, 04:34:17 am »

I say we order about 500'000 of their 'Free Vegetarian Starter Kits' and distribute them in Africa.
But wait... maybe starving is even better than that.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 18, 2009, 06:05:35 am »

So, if you take the time and loving care to twist the message to the outer limit of it's perversity, while maintaining it pure, intact, and in it's essential form, what PETA is really saying is that they want us to eat more pussy.

For they would be your masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2009, 06:46:41 am »

Free ranged chickens try to kill each other.
Where'd you get that? Over here plenty of people keep chickens and I've never seen any of them attempt to kill another chicken.
They might only be keeping hens.  Roosters will try to kill each other, especially when there are hens around.  Hence why beak trimming isn't all that bad and free range is bad.  There was that whole deal with PETA harassing those monks that were using those practices, even though there were much larger businesses doing the same thing.
No, pretty much everyone who has hens has one rooster. Two roosters in the same coop are a disaster, so nobody does that. But roosters from different coops rarely fight, and it's always non-lethal (because there is an escape route, unlike in organized cock fights), as different flocks tend to keep to themselves.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 18, 2009, 07:36:10 am »

You cannot pull off eating only meat while being healthy nowadays, too much pesticides end up in meat for it to be completely healthy.
[Citation Needed]
This is probably the closest free source on the internet that I can get to. It is a bit of an extrapolation from this, as birds of prey tend to eat meat.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE5D91738F931A15750C0A961948260
The decline in New York's eagle population reflected the trend throughout North America, according to Gerald A. Smith, an ornithologist with the National Audubon Society. Heavy hunting first reduced the numbers, then contamination of the food chain further decreased the population after World War II. The Impact of DDT

''This whole process of heavy pesticide use caused massive declines in many of the birds of prey, and bald eagles were severely affected,'' Mr. Smith said.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDT#Effects_on_human_health

http://www.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_chem/pest/effects.html
I tried to find more information on the accumulation of toxins the higher you go up the food chain, but for now you'll have to deal with this wordy wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomagnification

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 18, 2009, 08:21:57 am »

Yes, DDT is not terribly good for people and yes biomagnification is a real phenomenon. However, as per the article it's not as big of a problem as we once thought it would be, especially in land animals and we've already banned the use of DDT in agriculture.

You are going to have to do better then that to convince me that

Also Chandrasekhar answered your earlier comment about people starving vs feeding cows pretty well. Blaming people who eat meat for using up vegetables that would otherwise have fed starving children is a little naive.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19