Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: continuity vs. worldgen  (Read 951 times)

sev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my blog
continuity vs. worldgen
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:08:27 pm »

Worldgen is fun.  We talk about it here on a reasonably regular basis.  People comb through the legends and find delightful little bits of history.  We tweak parameters when generating worlds to find especially fun sites to place fortresses on or to create a particularly challenging combination of features.

The continuity of a single world, however, seems to be fun, too.  I'm delighted when the dwarves in my latest fort embroider pictures of artifacts made in previous forts.

How many forts do y'all tend to make?  How long goes by before you worldgen again?  How many worlds do you keep on-hand at once?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: continuity vs. worldgen
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:37:06 pm »

I make as many as I can.  I like going into a fortress after years and years have passed and seeing what's moved in, and the easiest way to make years and years go by is to do another fortress.

I try to avoid generating new worlds unless something goes horribly wrong with one.

One.  I don't like having a bunch of worlds.
Shoes...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 05:18:05 pm »

Usually I try to start a fortress with a challenge in mind, like goblin ice fortress, or above ground human fortress in a haunted jungle, and this typically requires several worlds before I get the right combination of features. I also usually get bored of mature fortresses, but don't want to abandon. So I generate a new world.

But I also don't make very many fortresses. I think I've had only five or six long-term fortresses: a joyous wilds forest next to a magma pipe, a desert fortress called Rigotharzes, a regular mountain fortress called Urdimlibash, a human city in a haunted jungle called Monolicem, and my current one is a goblin fortress on a mountain next to a glacier called Zomslomod.

I generally keep worlds if there's something cool or interesting about them, like a particular civilization with a cool history in legends, but I don't really do anything with them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:16 pm »

Well it depends on the created world also, but hmmm....I guess I make 10-15+ forts / worldgen at least.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 06:59:14 pm »

The problem with world continuity is nothing really interesting occurs. Dragons don't die unless you kill them, adventurers don't have a bunch of kids and become the mayor of such and such hall.

Eventually, the features that make continuity a real draw will come in, but for the time being, I typically don't start a new fort if more than 20 years has passed in previous fortresses, and I usually only do 5-6 adventurers in a world I've had a fortress in before I trash the world.

Though if I start with adventurer, I generally stick around longer. it is just the ultimate to see the demon lord who killed your last 7 adventurers show up to whip out the slay. It adds an element to those sieges that you seriously lack without having it... Or that would be the theory, if I ever started a fortress without killing the goblin fortresses first!

;)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:40:18 am »

I tend to have lots of worlds, and I rarely ever actually finish a fort. It's the curse of modding, I suppose, I keep wanting to tweak things or add things in, and means I need to gen a new world to test it. And old wolrds frequently become incompatible and have to be deleted. I'm a harsh god.

That's calmed down a little bit recently, however, since I'm not doing as many tweaks while I wait for the new version to come out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 12:34:02 pm »

I have currently one world i like cause of the Geography. I just change the history seed now and then.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 05:37:02 pm »

Sadly, I'm not too good at Fortress mode, as I get bored too easily. I just can't stand the first two years. Current fortress is different, though, because it has a major river and a stream, and about 100 carp.

I start around 5-6 adventurers before getting bored of a world.

The only exception is one world I saved onto my laptop that had interesting legends. I even took notes on several things of interest, but I'm not sure if I have the time to create a story on it.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*