Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Gigantic turtles  (Read 16588 times)

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gigantic turtles
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2009, 09:13:57 pm »

Maybe it would go around the mountain, and getting water or iron shouldnt be hard if you distill the blood.
Urist Mcmetalcrafter: Captain, make sure shellie gets some more iron in her diet, I think we're running out.

what about 1, 2, or 3 z levels over the stretch of the turtle (which are inevitable even under normal travel, and mistaking the turtle for a hill would be likely if it could go a little towards mountains. Also, Island turtles!!! Maybe they could be 'special features'?)

but I'm thinking through the mountain, and any magma/river/HFS in it's path.

edit: also, I was thinking, if the shell regenerates... easier moods?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:55:28 pm by Vieto »

Twad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2009, 12:45:01 am »

Threat: The giants living in their cloud cities.

I like this idea. In a fantasy environment, you might see landscape that's actually made up of giant sleeping turtles, enormous dragons, world-serpents, vast slumbering trolls, giant skeletons/corpses, continent-sized elementals, city-sized golems/collossi, what have you.

It would be great if it could be modeled.

I *don't* think it should be easy, or wise, to try to kill such a creature.
There should be major and immediate repercussions, and-to use the turtle as an example-it shouldn't be at all easy to penetrate such a shell. It'd probably be several degrees harder and more resilient than a normal turtle shell. Not to mention, slow or not, such an awesome beast should/would be able to defend itself.

They might even have protectors.

Heck, just killing it would provoke a flood of presurized blood to rush out and (ironicaly) drown everything in its path.. and once its stops, it coagulate somewhat, trapping and sealing the affected areas.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2009, 12:53:22 am »

What if you somehow breached an artery and sealed it with a flood gate? Instant turtle exsanguination lever!
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2009, 01:08:23 am »

I think it would be impossible to have any arteries and pressurised blood in a wagon sized 'giant turtle'.

Maybe have the organs grouped for smaller turtles, and maze-like for larger ones?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2009, 08:35:42 am »

need an excuse to make turtle shell cracking hard? so make a use for adamantium or steel mining equipment. not that you would want to go digging holes in your turtles shell. i dont really see delving into the turtle itself to be something you really want, unless your fort is starving for some reason or perhaps you need to do some medicinal work on your mobile home. dwarven miners doing surgery inside a giant turtle sounds great, but im not sure how it would fit as a gameplay element in DF. i just figured turtles would be more or less invulnerable, implementing its internal organs and an ability to kill it would need a whole slew of difficult to sort out game mechanics.

as for the turtle swimming, with something sufficiently buoyant stuck on its back it would not be able to submerge. real life turtle sometimes get this problem from an excess of growths on their shell, and occasionally from serious blunt trauma injuries that result in gas pocket inside their bodies. not that you need "realism" like that to excuse anything to do with a game about dwarves riding giant turtles.

in the DF engine, i envisioned the turtle being more or less a huge stationary object in the landscape, which could be moved around by entering the world map and choosing a new fortress site. then a path would be found across the world for the turtle to travel, and the likeliehood and type of random encounters of the kind you get in adventure mode sorted out. the turtle with whatever you have built upon its back could then be placed into the landscape on arrival like many of the current map features are. hopefully not several z levels up above a magma vent, like a goblin tower i found once a while back that collapsed as soon as i arrived.

so, in a moving turtle fort, you would likely have sites around the place geared up for spending a season at to farm large quantities of food and mine and smelt a large amount of ore. moving around like this would also mean you could select a town to plonk down outside of to trade, or attack and pillage. your temporary homes around the place would probably have things built specifically to keep your moving chelonian mayhem machine going. dropping in on these sites would be a little like reclaim mode. you could make things things like a large magma aqueduct to dribble some red hot glowing goodness into a stone storage tank somewhere on the turtles back, to be used for item forging or defense. you would probably want to do the same with a small amount of fresh water, to treat injured dwarves. if the turtle could cross oceans, you could find peaceful unassailable islands to farm and train on without risk of ambush or siege.

anyways, as people have said before, this idea is awesome but would be a lot of work to implement, and would probably change DF into a completely different game. imagine trying to locate your abandoned turtle fort in adventure mode when it keeps wandering around the place?

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2009, 11:26:00 am »

About the mountain, maybe the dwarves could dig through it and that's why the turtle/tortoise lets them live on/in it?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2009, 12:53:25 pm »

Maybe there could be (randomly) HFS in the mountain of the turtle  ;D

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2009, 02:22:03 pm »

anyways, as people have said before, this idea is awesome but would be a lot of work to implement, and would probably change DF into a completely different game. imagine trying to locate your abandoned turtle fort in adventure mode when it keeps wandering around the place?

I agree that this would make DF a different game, and doesn't really fit completely, but at the same time I have trouble not supporting the idea, since it is AWESOME in its insanity and crazy story potential. A compromise might be to say "not before the (far off) DF 1.0". It would be an expansion, DF - MASSIVE MOUNTAINOUS MONSTERS.  :D

As for finding an abandoned turtle fort - in adventure mode people already tell you about Megabeasts and what they've done and where and when. Also, you can hear of random people-of-interest who settled in places nearby. I can easily see this expanding to asking around and finding out that  "In 1234 the giant turtle ElfMuncher of the Shells of Adamantium, the TurtleHome of "BackScratches" moved into THe Deep Dark Forest, in 1301 it left to the West". Then heading west to find out "In 1379, the Dwarves of BackScratches sacked the village of Dweedlybop" and maybe even "In 1399 the giant turtle ElfMuncher of the Shells of Adamantium, the TurtleHome of "BackScratches" settled in the ruins of Dweedlybop". Tracking down your turtle-fortress would get fairly easy that way. It would even be findable in the Legends mode.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:08 pm »

I think it would be impossible to have any arteries and pressurised blood in a wagon sized 'giant turtle'.

Maybe have the organs grouped for smaller turtles, and maze-like for larger ones?
                                                                                           Wagon sized? I was thinking maybe 2x2 embark size? Anyway it's not that hard to implement once moving tiles get implemented, which they probably will, I think it would give you an option like 'Center fortress on giant animal?' an then you choose, the map would update when the turtle reaches the edge.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2009, 08:25:15 pm »

I agree that this would make DF a different game, and doesn't really fit completely, but at the same time I have trouble not supporting the idea, since it is AWESOME in its insanity and crazy story potential. A compromise might be to say "not before the (far off) DF 1.0". It would be an expansion, DF - MASSIVE MOUNTAINOUS MONSTERS.  :D

As for finding an abandoned turtle fort - in adventure mode people already tell you about Megabeasts and what they've done and where and when. Also, you can hear of random people-of-interest who settled in places nearby. I can easily see this expanding to asking around and finding out that  "In 1234 the giant turtle ElfMuncher of the Shells of Adamantium, the TurtleHome of "BackScratches" moved into THe Deep Dark Forest, in 1301 it left to the West". Then heading west to find out "In 1379, the Dwarves of BackScratches sacked the village of Dweedlybop" and maybe even "In 1399 the giant turtle ElfMuncher of the Shells of Adamantium, the TurtleHome of "BackScratches" settled in the ruins of Dweedlybop". Tracking down your turtle-fortress would get fairly easy that way. It would even be findable in the Legends mode.

well, it could work as an expansion

Dwarf Fortress: Rise of the Gigantus Testudines
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2009, 08:41:38 pm »

well, it could work as an expansion

Dwarf Fortress: Rise of the Gigantus Testudines

That....that sounds incredibly dirty....damned latin....

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2009, 09:35:07 pm »

As an aside--It's funny how Latin can make things sound dirtier, while French often makes things sound less dirty than they are, considering the history of the region, and the long history of opposition between the Romans and the Goths/Franks.
For they would be your masters.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2009, 10:03:10 pm »

Back to turtles please.

Yeah, they could have shells made of harder and harder metals as you go down. Maybe they're actually ancient, living stone? Blood MIGHT be boiling; this is DF after all, and an alternate to magma or charcoal is always welcome. I also like the idea of (T)raveling on your turtle to islands or whatnot to get stuff, sounds like a good way to ensure that you can always get everything in the game, no matter what your starting location is.

German makes everything sound angry, Russian sorta makes everything sound angry, Italian just makes everything sound emotional, and Spanish just makes it difficult to understand. No offense meant to anyone, im saying this is how other languages are seen when heard by nonspeakers (i should know; bunch of people in my school keep asking me to speak russian, then are confused as to why i sound angry :-\)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:07:18 pm by Eagle »

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2009, 08:15:51 am »

giant fotress turtles make me think of this:
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2009, 10:55:26 am »

that's a whale.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8