Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Seven Dwarf Lords - Now a Succession Fort!  (Read 1067 times)

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Seven Dwarf Lords - Now a Succession Fort!
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:26:06 am »

The Seven Lords of Rawnessbanners

Okay, here we go. I have played the first two years of this fortress and I now present it to everyone as a community fort.
The seven starting dwarves (more on them in detail later) sealed themselves off from the outside world in a chalk-white tower. Their plans? To live a life of complete luxury away from the hustle and bustle of the mountainhomes. And if any migrants turn up for a portion of the wealth? Well they would find the doors locked and would have to scrounge a living from the surrounding lands.

The Dwarf Lords:

'Chyla' Stinthadzaled, Lady of All - The bookkeeper/stockbrocker of the fort.
Cerol Cogrithzam, Lady of Earth - The farmer, brewer and cook all rolled into one dwarf.
Aris Lorrober, Lord of Stone
Eral Godenmis, Lady of Stone - These two are the miners, masons and engravers of the fortress.
Alath Aristobok, Lord of Wood - The carpenter of the fortress.
Dumat Kikrostfikod, Lady of Metal - The furnace operater, smith and metalcrafter.
Dobar Udibdural, Lord of Crafts - The dwarf with all the other crafting skills.

Cog Osorobok - Child of 'Chyla' and Alath.

Other Notable Dwarves:

'Theo' Esmulcog, 'Sheriff' - If he really can be called that... It's a hellhole outside!

The Lands:

Rawnessbanners is settled in a forest just off the edge of a mountain range and has a brook flowing through. There are very very rich deposits of iron along with flux and coal. Surveyers swear there is magma sealed away under the ground somewhere too. The most abundant stone is chalk, creating a beautiful white for the majority of the fortress.

The Rules:

After playing the first two years I am now accepting people who want to play a year of this fortress.
Players have a week to play their year and three days from the beginning of the week to post on here to say they have picked up the save. We drop down the list a player in the event of no response or someone dropping out.

- NEVER let any of the dwarves inside the fortress get out.
 - NEVER let any of the dwarves outside the fortress get in.
 - The dwarves outside the fortress are not allowed to recieve anything from the caravans (although it will be them who will have to build a road).
 - The dwarves outside the fortress are not allowed to dig. Their picks should be forbidden/dumped.
 - Children ARE allowed inside the fortress and must have rooms built for them.

The Players:

1. - Theoclymenus
2. - Theoclymenus
3. ...

Challenges:

If anyone comes up with any good ideas I will post them here alongside mine.
 - Find the magma pipe and set up the metalwork operation.
 - Build 'Theo' all he requires, outside and made entirely of wood.
 - Construct high quality tombs for all the lords.
 - Give the seven a varied diet.
 - Sort out my half failed attempt at the trading wall (the eastern side of the entrance). I managed to get an axe thrown over but that is all.

Final Words:

Use notes! They help later players understand what is going on. This goes especially for levers.
Feel free to name a dwarf after yourself, telling me their name and purpose. I will post them in the OP along with a brief description.
Look for my post further down for a summary on what occured in the first two years.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 12:57:09 pm by Theoclymenus »

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Seven Dwarf Lords
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:50:32 am »

Yeah, that could work fine. What if the starting seven have children? Drawbridge em' to the other side once they become children, I guess?

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 11:58:57 am »

I am quite happy with them having children. More hauling and a little more character to the fortress. I hope the outside gets flooded with the buggers. More goblin fodder that way...

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 09:13:26 pm »

Yes. This is a pretty interesting idea.
They started to collide~

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:25:46 pm »

I'm definetly going to keep an eye on this

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 10:36:22 pm »

I'll be reading this one, too. The last fort of this type petered out, so I'm looking forward to more class warfare between the dwarves in the ivory towers and the dwarves scraping their existence from the mud and rock.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:17:57 pm »

Right, I thought I would post an update to say how a test fort came out. I have been playing it for three years and so far the only hitch has been one of the seven someone taking over a forge before I have any fuel. If worst comes to the worst I can finish my airlock system and force one dwarf in to replace him.
The biggest challenge is definitely managing to do everything you would normally have to in the first year plus constructing enough of a tower to keep everyone out and allow the dumping wall thing. Speaking of which, I need a little help with the dumping, maybe if I post this save up that will happen.
If people are interested I can finish of this year (I am mid winter at the moment so my only actions will probably be making a suitably lavish tomb for the soon to be insane dwarf (I hope he doesn't go beserk, might have to lock him in...)) --- double brackets there, sorry about that --- and then write up a summary and post the save.

I did have an interesting experience with a giant eagle practically making some random peasant explode but unfortunatly it has left now. I hope it will be back to test the morale of the dirt-eating serfs!

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 03:04:49 pm »

I believe that moody dwarves that claim forges don't need fuel. Could be mistaken though

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 04:34:13 pm »

I like this idea. Keep going.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 05:37:36 pm »

This seems interesting.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 05:51:55 pm »

I believe that moody dwarves that claim forges don't need fuel. Could be mistaken though
Unfortunatly, I spent so much time sorting out the building and the mild complications of running two fortresses that I never got round to hunting for the magma pipe, let alone setting up a channel to a useful place.
The biggest problem is that if your only source of fuel is coal you can't actually turn it into coke without already having a piece of fuel. I can possibly solve the problem but it would involve dumping wood over from the outside and that is what I have been having difficulties with - the axe been dumped over the wall to the outside worked beautifully and if people are interested to it is possible to pit animals in either direction.

I might come up with a list of challenges for players to do so that in the OP (well, I will probably start a new thread) there can be recognition for any cool things. An example would be setting up a suitably varied diet for the inner seven. At the moment they eat plump helmet and quarry leaf roasts, definitly not befitting of seven lords.

Any suggestions about the fuel problem? I don't mind too much if this dwarf dies, he is the least useful of the seven. I suppose I wouldn't be that against using a tweaking program to remove the mood - I can't remember whether this is possible or not.

Theoclymenus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Seven Dwarf Lords - Now a Community Fort!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 12:19:44 pm »

Right, this is now a community fort! Check the OP for details.

Here is a summary of what happened in the first two years, excuse the lack of RP, I want to sort out everything quickly.

The seven dwarves managed to seal themselves off before any immigration occured.
Bedrooms and dining rooms have been constructed for the seven.
A marriage!
The indoor food and drink supply has been stabilised but is bland.
The first few immigrants experienced HELL. Half of them starved before outdoor farms were set up and one was torn apart by a giant eagle.
The Lord of Crafts went into a strange mood, demanding metal bars.
The Lord of Crafts is now melancholy.
'Chyla' had a son!
There are quite a few peasants outside now and a bunk room has been constructed for them. They also have a carpenters workshop and a still.