Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Age of Myths  (Read 1736 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age of Myths
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:54:13 am »

Sortof a mod question, sort of a gameplay question.

Does anyone know what controls the end of the Age of Myth? I don't think its the percentage megabeasts dead, because I've seen it stop at 80% dead while still in the Age of Myth, and then again I've seen it go on past the age of myth into the 6th age of legends, the age of twilight, and the golden age quite a few times.

Actually, the only thing I can think of that might control what is the age of Myth would be the number of megabeasts ruling civilizations.
I'm asking this because I've been fidding around with my game, and now it almost never leaves the age of Myth. I think its because I increased the number of entities with the [POWER] token.

Has anyone played around with the POWER token and experienced this?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Myths
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:29:54 pm »

I don't know exactly, but there is a schedule which can change, and it ALWAYS starts with Age Of Myth... I think it's just a name of default starting age and anything that changes it determines the next age while AoM itself means nothing.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 04:11:08 pm »

That would make sense, but if thats true, what triggers the second age of myth? I've seen those too. So there must be actual specific parameters.

See this image I took: http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture08012009163401xb6.jpg
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:38:00 pm by lastofthelight »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 04:38:59 pm »

What are these "second ages" that everyone keeps talking about? How can these occur at all?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:22:54 pm »

He means that he's got another Age of Myth after some different age. I haven't encountered it but it looks like it's possible.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:04:43 pm »

If you don't mind digging deeper into the legends of that world, I have a feeling that it must have something to do with the populations of civilized entities.
!!&!!

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:59:29 pm »

I accidently deleted the world, but I spent some time pouring through its legends anyways. I saw stuff like 'The 178th giant attack on <sitename>' alot.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 07:56:19 pm »

Sorry for the self-forum bump, but there has been an update. I managed to gen another world like this. Currently, the world is in the year 700-ish, and is on the 21st age of legends. I'm using a few mods which prevent a direct upload - though I have tested the same seed on a build without my current mods and with, and I have verified that it only seems to happen with my current modset.

I suspect it /does/ have to do with the state of civilization, and quite possibly by modding in more powerful beasts/more civilizations, I caused this. Interestingly enough, despite being past the year 700, I still have a few Megabeasts running around.

http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture10012009195102ui8.jpg

Note: Not on that small screenshot are the 10 or so 'Age of Heroes'.

If anyone /really/ wants to play around with the legends, I can export the data and post it to DFFD, but I doubt anyone has that much interest.

...now pardon me while I go back to playing with my 15 Z-level waterfall.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:51:26 pm by lastofthelight »

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 01:02:07 am »

It seems to be only Myths and Legends. Perhaps it has to do with population of Heroes and Megabeasts?

My uneducated speculation is that when there are more Mega Beasts it's Myth, while when the number of Historical Figures that ARN'T Megabeasts outnumber the number of Mega Beasts [or perhaps a ratio/rate] it becomes Legends. In your situation your Mega Beasts (whatever constitutes exactly as a Mega Beast) multiply and reproduce to challenge the number of normal civilizations. Perhaps you have modded it so you have reproductive mega beasts or a civilization that counts as Mega Beast that seems to be going at it like rabbits...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 04:46:57 am »

Oh, I've just noticed that it belongs to Gameplay Questions forum (not modding) and only Toady can answer this (and he doesn't look into modding forum).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 04:16:15 pm »

Oh, I guess that ends this then.