Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finer Grained Forbid controls  (Read 1342 times)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Finer Grained Forbid controls
« on: January 08, 2009, 12:30:52 am »

So, I had quite a scare with my current fort; I thought that my depot had glitched. It used to be accessible; it wasn't anymore. I didn't think I'd changed anything! The new depot I built outside worked fine! Nobody would deconstruct the old depot!

It turned out I'd forbidden the class of stone the depot was built with.

So, I'd like a way to specify 'forbid all of this stone except what I've used in buildings.'
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finer Grained Forbid controls
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:34:10 am »

Seconded.  I've had the same problem.  Various workshops and other buildings accidentally forbidden.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:24:45 pm »

What I'd like to see is a setting that allows you to define what you are allowed to do with a given material.

Use Stone X
Use Stone X for Constructions/Buildings
Use Stone X for Crafts
Don't use Stone X

Where the first setting would imply the two below it. It would probably mean that every stone has to be classified as economic, but people have already modded that in.
!!&!!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 01:35:29 pm »

Meh, easy fix is just don't mass forbid anything that's currently being used... Which should be sufficient to fix the problem

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 02:47:55 pm »

Meh, easy fix is just don't mass forbid anything that's currently being used... Which should be sufficient to fix the problem

Except when you're doing a lot of mining and getting both Felsite and Alunite in large quantities and want to make Alunite blocks for your megaconstruction (in the absence of an actual valuable stone, use a generic white stone).  So you mass forbid the 900 new felsite so masons don't use it to make blocks with and forget that your masons workshops were built using felsite because you were saving the alunite for constructions.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 02:57:44 pm »

Except when you're doing a lot of mining and getting both Felsite and Alunite in large quantities and want to make Alunite blocks for your megaconstruction (in the absence of an actual valuable stone, use a generic white stone).  So you mass forbid the 900 new felsite so masons don't use it to make blocks with and forget that your masons workshops were built using felsite because you were saving the alunite for constructions.
Huh?

No, what I mean is, you mass forbid felsite, and all felsite is forbidden EXCEPT what's already been built with.  Mass-forbid just doesn't apply to blocks that have been built.

Or even better, a building doesn't care if it's materials have been forbidden.

AKA more intelligent behaviour on the part of the options, not more options.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:20:59 pm »

Except that forbidding buildings is useful. I wouldn't want to see that go away.

Anywho, just separating built stone and unbuilt stone in the stocks menu would be sufficient. But I really, really want to be able to do that.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 10:51:45 pm »

For that specific case, wouldn't it be better to have material permissions in the workshop profile?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 03:21:46 pm »

There could be a "forbid raw X" command x=feldspar, granite, maple, spider silk, whatever.

That way, nothing *made* from that stone etc. is forbidden, just the raw product.
For they would be your masters.