Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39

Author Topic: Vaiolis' RPG - The End is Here  (Read 46173 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Vaiolis' RPG - The End is Near?
« Reply #525 on: March 16, 2009, 09:57:43 pm »

First: don't turn this into a nonsense thread. please.

second: Valios, what exactly did you have on that computer that is absolutely not reconstructible from the data in the threads? Couldn't you make a "new" RPG that has the same players whit the same characters and is identical up to the point we left of, and just make new "secret notes" as the players per definition cant notice the difference except possibly in quality?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 16, 2009, 10:12:58 pm »

Well we had a good time. Good luck with future technology.

Also, no hard feelings over this. After the first month I figured you had a good reason this was not continuing. It shall be grand playing another one of your games.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 16, 2009, 10:17:09 pm »

Well, I had been working on reformatting a bunch of the turns to make it read more like a book. That took plenty of hours, and while it isn't necessary in the least bit, it is frustrating. Very frustrating. And I could make a "new" RPG, keep everything pretty much the same aside from the level of description, but the problem is that, for one, I've somewhat lost interest in it (mainly from the frustration. It has an amazing ability to make everything involved with it less enjoyable :-\). And along with that, the RPG was made to have those descriptive paragraphs. I'm not sure how smoothly the RPG would go if I omitted detail, or split each person's turn up. As, with it, every little detail could potentially be important. Unless I wanted to lower the level of gameplay, but that would once again make one of the main points of the RPG unaccomplished. And with that, sure, I could continue the RPG at RTD-level descriptions, or with simpler mechanics, but then it would be just another RPG in the mix, and would lose all the differences that I feel actually made it special. Which is why I'd like to make this new game, as it would have that special, unique feel, but without the high-level descriptions or (somewhat) complex mechanics.

And as I said, I apologize with utmost sincerity. I don't have time to go searching for the quote in the old thread (this is my last post for the night), where I was stated as the "nice guy" or whatever it was, where I'm always worried what I'm doing is upsetting someone, but all I can really do here is accept I'm going to be disappointing people. I've no idea how attached you people really were to it, it was just a game, but I assure you it isn't as easy as "yep, bored with that, next idea!" for me either. Not to sound selfish or anything, but hopefully you get what I mean.
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 16, 2009, 10:48:47 pm »

what is preventing you from writing new descriptions?

Idea: have it the same large setting, the same characters, but add one mayor plot twist that makes everyone be teleported to some completely different part of the universe you never planed out (by a god calling them to service, or revealing it was all a magic illusion, or something.).
I'm not that extremely attached to the island, but I don't want to loose Xix, and some of the other PCs were good as well, as well as some NPCs.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2009, 10:50:18 pm »

what is preventing you from writing new descriptions?

Idea: have it the same large setting, the same characters, but add one mayor plot twist that makes everyone be teleported to some completely different part of the universe you never planed out (by a god calling them to service, or revealing it was all a magic illusion, or something.).
I'm not that extremely attached to the island, but I don't want to loose Xix, and some of the other PCs were good as well, as well as some NPCs.
He's lost the spark. We can no longer hope.

But, how did you do the skill level and rolls for the turns? I'm quite intrigued.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2009, 10:59:49 pm »

We should all pitch in and write an epilogue.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2009, 11:00:51 pm »

Yeah. If you want to make money off the whole idea, just write an epilogue.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2009, 11:53:28 pm »

I won't pay for it. I'll either write my own version so its suits me just fine, or steal it off the Internet.

Oh, looky there. WE'RE ON THE INTERNET!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 16, 2009, 11:57:10 pm »

I'm not sure where money came up, but whatever. I think Xix should be mistaken for some sort of exotic animal by a big game hunter and shot to death with an elephant gun.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 16, 2009, 11:58:51 pm »

I think that Flat should have his background revealed that's he some sort of Laboratory Test Subject.

He's really a Teenage Mutant Ninja Bird.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 17, 2009, 12:13:58 am »

I'm not sure where money came up, but whatever.

Er. Oops. I thought that the whole idea of writing a novel was for money. My bad. I'll retract my previous statement.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 17, 2009, 12:17:30 am »

When did writing a novel come up? D:

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 17, 2009, 12:23:20 am »

That I don't remember. In this thread, didn't somebody suggest that all the RP here could be turned into a novel?

Or maybe that was in another RP thread...

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 17, 2009, 02:14:21 am »

The novel idea cae up either in this or the older thread.

And thanks, Vaiolis. I think I was very lucky to play in such an AWESOME game for the very first RPG I joined.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Vaiolis

• Bay Watcher
  • I Am Penguin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 17, 2009, 07:16:07 pm »

how did you do the skill level and rolls for the turns? I'm quite intrigued.

http://www.rdinn.com/dice_roller.php

A dice roller from a roleplaying site I used to play on often. It gave me die sides for when experience had a range of possible values, a modifier for previous skill (level 1 was +0, -1 is -1, -2 is -2, etc., and then level 2 is +1, 3 is +2, etc.), number of die for... well I only used that for lucky rolls mostly :P and then when luck came by (I did a roll from 1-5000, if the roll number was equal to or less than your luck + 1, you got a lucky roll. Nobody ever made an unlucky character, but if you had, the lucky roll would become an unlucky roll) I would drop the high die for bad things or drop the low die for how well you did, or both. Made for lots of rolls it did, but it was pretty nice to use. The site also has a bunch of other neat things to use in the armory. I'll probably use a similar system for the new game I'm making, albeit a bit different (read: fewer rolls).

Yeah, as mentioned, I lost interest. However, I may be able to tweak the game I'm making to keep them existent. They will probably lose most of what they've gotten though, including skills as those will be redone, and what they started with might also be tweaked to be a bit more general. But before I consider this, I need to ask: for your characters, do you like directly controlling them for the most part, or is it simply that they are there that really counts? To directly control them, as the game will not be entirely adventurer centered, we'd need to get more players. If they could just exist and act, with you giving them fairly general commands (go here, fight this with magic/melee, use this skill, etc.), then we could continue with the new game without needing too many more players (although spots will be open). And of course for anyone who participated in this RPG, you can have a spot without worry.

I don't want to say too much about the game as of yet, as I'm still working on it, have more to plan, and admittedly am slightly worried about others stealing the idea :P, but I will say that turns will be a bit more structured, perhaps even in phases (rather than a single "Turn 5!" statement, kind of like how those mafia games go in the day and night phases of voting), and actions will also be dictated a bit more strictly, and not as open-ended.

And yeah that novel idea did come up in the older thread I'm pretty sure. I've given up on it now, but anyone else is free to try and make it, as long as you mention who made the RPG in the first place, hehe. And don't be thanking me yet, it doesn't have to end completely! This adventure may be over, but there shall be more. Or maybe just one more if it is popular enough ;)
Today's Toady Tip: 3 and 4 are not the same number.
How borgly is your borgle's borgle?
The Minister of BEEEES! and of The Great Charter for the Toady Protectorate!
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39