Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquatic Platforms  (Read 613 times)

Thnikkafan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquatic Platforms
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:10:47 pm »

Building my newest fort in a swamp on the banks of a river, I had an idea; what if, instead of wagons, if you set it to do so, caravans come on barges rather than wagons.

To make this possible, there could be platforms. Made in the building menu, these are essentially seperated floors. Set them on water and they would flow with it.

I think that this would be a minor thing (the platforms, not the barges) that could be transformed by madmen (read: us) into maniacal contraptions (elevators, anyone?)

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
Re: Aquatic Platforms
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:21:20 pm »

WATER-POWERED GOBLIN SMASHER

Oh yeah, elevators too

The thing with it flowing with the current might be problematic. A, It'll go off the map quickly, B, It'll be hard to program. You should at least be able to anchor it.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:50:04 pm »

this would work nicely with my D.E.A.T.H. Machine plan. (Dwarven Engineered Ameliorating Transport Hub) Instead of steam, magma, and wheels, (see sig) we could use current flow in conjunction with the 'slope idea suggested elsewhere! water bubbles up in a center pool (read: enough pressure to implode the earth) , I drop a platform from the roof, load the dwarves via airlock, and open up the channels to push the platform to the ends of the earth!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:56:29 pm »

This will probably be easy, once basic vehicle stuff is up.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.