Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Glass barrels and Bins  (Read 7035 times)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass barrels and Bins
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2008, 04:49:44 pm »

Another note with regards to balance issues with glass barrels is that while the sand resource may be unlimited, fuel very often is not, which may help to balance it. Magma is almost cheating anyway.. :P
Still, compare the resources needed to make a barrel with glass vs. those required to make it with metal:

Glass:
* One bag (re-usable)
* One unit of fuel
* Sand (infinite)

Metal:
* Anvil (re-usable)
* Four units of fuel (three to smelt, one to forge)
* Three units of ore

Ah, good point.. perhaps make it require at least three bags of sand and units of fuel, then? :) I've always thought glass furniture was kinda cheap..
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 07:16:58 pm »

Um making a barrel requires a single log. That isn't difficult at all (especially not if you happen to have a magma furnace). I understand that glass is renewable in such a case so a good compromise would be to require clear or crystal glass. Clear glass in non-renewable resources uses a log and requires several steps (thus balancing with its higher worth) while crystal requires a log and rock crystal and even more steps (making for even greater worth).

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 07:27:33 pm »

No green glass is perfectly adequate and is in fact MORE common for bottle construction.

I see the problem being that all furnitures require the 3 bars of metal which just seems too high for some items, Beds and Doors and Floodgates I can understand but a barrel is rather small, if they were one bar then they would be more in-line with their usefulness.  Of course resolution of the alcohol stacking system and food production system is necessary before we can get a good handle on how many barrels we should have and how difficult they should be to make.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 07:34:19 pm »

No green glass is perfectly adequate and is in fact MORE common for bottle construction.

I see the problem being that all furnitures require the 3 bars of metal which just seems too high for some items, Beds and Doors and Floodgates I can understand but a barrel is rather small, if they were one bar then they would be more in-line with their usefulness.  Of course resolution of the alcohol stacking system and food production system is necessary before we can get a good handle on how many barrels we should have and how difficult they should be to make.

If this is to me I never said anything about green glass being less common or no good. My comments were meant to solve the problem of green glass=free barrel. The only way I could see green glass being ok in this instance would be if toady added a non-renewable resource (perhaps 1 fuel or something like that).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 08:44:53 pm »

Forging glass furniture doesn't take fuel?  Having never done glass production without magma, I don't know.

Nomadic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »

Forging glass furniture doesn't take fuel?  Having never done glass production without magma, I don't know.

This is actually a very good point. Perhaps glass furniture should require fuel.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 09:39:37 pm »

Yes it should.

But glass has one advantage over metal in that its easy to recycle. However recycled glass is not as clear because it has a lot of small bubbles in it. Depending on personal preference this can actually be a virtue.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 03:56:18 am »

all green glass items require 1 fuel(or a magma glass furnace)  and 1 sand
thats it.
not that sand is particularly hard to come by
hell a magma furnace by sand would produce barrels "faster" than a carpenter and a woodcutter....

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2008, 07:15:20 am »

Hahahahaha! Makes it easy to see what's in the barrel before opening it!
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2008, 03:30:21 pm »

thats it.

So, one piece of fuel to make the glass block, then another to turn that block into an item?

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 03:53:04 pm »

Due to bag handling, I have difficulties keeping enough bags free for sand use.  I think it took me 60 pig tail bags before they decided to stop stuffing seeds into half of them at random.  But that's being fixed, isn't it?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 05:50:29 pm »

Due to bag handling, I have difficulties keeping enough bags free for sand use.  I think it took me 60 pig tail bags before they decided to stop stuffing seeds into half of them at random.  But that's being fixed, isn't it?

Next version.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 05:57:21 pm »

thats it.

So, one piece of fuel to make the glass block, then another to turn that block into an item?

Nope. Just 1 piece of fuel to create the glass item straight from sand. Blocks are only used for construction.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2008, 08:41:45 pm »

thats it.

Nope. Just 1 piece of fuel to create the glass item straight from sand. Blocks are only used for construction.

Sorry, I meant "Raw Green Glass."

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2008, 09:31:11 pm »

Raw green glass is a gem.
You make glass items directly from bags of sand + fuel.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 [2] 3