Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Glass barrels and Bins  (Read 7031 times)

Demosthenes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glass barrels and Bins
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

Barrels and bins made of glass. It will bring me another step closer to my All Glass fort.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass barrels and Bins
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 05:43:13 pm »

Sorry to necro-bump this but I was about to make an identical thread before I saw this on search.  I like the idea of glass barrels but glass bins seems silly.

pavlov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This animal is waiting for conflict.
Ready for slaughter? (Y)

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:35:23 pm »

Uh... I wouldn't store my Spiked Balls and Rock (Salt) Instruments in a fragile glass bin.

Glass barrels, though, would be a-ok. Like a slushie machine... filled with Guttor Cruror.
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 10:42:02 pm »

Uh... I wouldn't store my Spiked Balls and Rock (Salt) Instruments in a fragile glass bin.

Glass barrels, though, would be a-ok. Like a slushie machine... filled with Guttor Cruror.
Surely you've seen a museum with glass cases.

These are dwarves.  They can make it work with glass if they can make it work with wood.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:18:36 am »

I kinda feel like barrels and bins are meant to be hard to make right now - they either require wood, which can easily be in limited supply, or three bars of metal, which is expensive. Making them out of sand, which is either not available at all or available in unlimited quantity, would be unbalancing.

That said, I do like, stylistically, the idea of glass barrels. But not bins. Bins can hold all kinds of things that would be hard on glass, like rock blocks, whereas barrels store things that are handled with more care - food and drink. A clear keg of ale would be pretty awesome, too.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 12:37:17 am »

I agree on bins being kind of limited, because they are a luxury item, but one of the places that sand -> barrels would make a big difference is desert maps, where they happen to be absolutely essential due to the lack of water.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 02:17:01 am »

There is no reason why you couldn't make a bin or barrel out of glass. Glass will shatter if hit with sufficient force but if you just bonk a glass bin by accident it won't explode into shards or anything.

How about we just assume that glass objects which rely on structural integrity are simply made thicker to reinforce them?
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 02:24:00 am »

well then you have one heavy ass bin that can't hold as much. heh. 

i like the glass barrels/ no glass bin angle though. 

perhaps it should be called a Tank, ala the Terrarium. metal Tanks would make sense as well...

Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 02:29:33 am »

Heavy ass bin? Its not like we move them around much. I make bins out of solid LEAD, so glass would be easy cake on my haulers backs.

Don't glass cages or terrariums already function as fish tanks?

Also the viability of glass bins depends entirely on what you plan to keep in them. I wouldn't reccomend tossing battle axes into them at range but they could handle clothing or other sundries. And come to think of it, properly sealed glass barrels are superior to wood barrels (which rot) and metal barrels which can poison food and or rust.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:35:37 am by Tamren »
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 02:38:34 am »

I kinda feel like barrels and bins are meant to be hard to make right now - they either require wood, which can easily be in limited supply, or three bars of metal, which is expensive. Making them out of sand, which is either not available at all or available in unlimited quantity, would be unbalancing.

That said, I do like, stylistically, the idea of glass barrels. But not bins. Bins can hold all kinds of things that would be hard on glass, like rock blocks, whereas barrels store things that are handled with more care - food and drink. A clear keg of ale would be pretty awesome, too.

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 06:44:09 am »

Glass is pretty sturdy, if it is meant to be a storage container. However, the traditional solution to the potential of a broken glass bottle is to weave a basket around it/envelop it with straw. Which calls for another profession! :)

Basketweaver:

resources:
reed/bamboo (gathered), twigs (gathered from trees), straw (rest product of cave wheat), adamantine strands, metal wire (made by the metalcrafter)
(Reed and straw in particular serve as a material for clothes (straw hats, etc.), but that's for the weaver and the clothier. Metal wire clothes are the logical extrapolation between adamantine clothes, but who should do it is unclear: the clothier, the metalcrafter or the armorer? Maybe it's nice to have your metalcrafter produce tiny metal rings, scales and studs, after which the clothier assembles it.)

products:
the same as the carpenter, except barrels, blocks, buckets, traps, doors, hatch covers, floodgates and weaponry.
"statues" = straw dwarf (why don't we have wooden statues, by the way?)
reed and straw cloth
enveloping glass containers
baskets (the same as barrels, but not for fluids)
handbaskets: so our poor hauldwarfs can carry more than one seed at a time

Too simple, too complicated?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 08:03:20 am »

Shouldn't dwarfs be able to produce extremely sturdy glass anyway? They're supposed to be masters of crafts and all, no?

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 08:35:52 am »

Another note with regards to balance issues with glass barrels is that while the sand resource may be unlimited, fuel very often is not, which may help to balance it. Magma is almost cheating anyway.. :P
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 11:09:51 am »

Another note with regards to balance issues with glass barrels is that while the sand resource may be unlimited, fuel very often is not, which may help to balance it. Magma is almost cheating anyway.. :P
Still, compare the resources needed to make a barrel with glass vs. those required to make it with metal:

Glass:
* One bag (re-usable)
* One unit of fuel
* Sand (infinite)

Metal:
* Anvil (re-usable)
* Four units of fuel (three to smelt, one to forge)
* Three units of ore
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: [1] 2 3