Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Glass barrels and Bins  (Read 7022 times)

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Glass barrels and Bins
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2008, 05:32:31 am »

You make glass items directly from bags of sand + fuel.

In other words, if you have sand and magma, glass blocks, gems, furniture and other items require no resources at all. If you have no magma they all require exactly one piece of fuel. Isn't this kinda imbalanced? :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2008, 07:49:17 am »

I wanted to mod in glass barrels and bins, but agree with you all on how unbalancing that would be.  Glass barrels have been used in the past: for example giant glass bottles were used to hold acids and other noxious chemicals transported to mining sites (I own some pieces of these, found at the mines.).  And a good thick glass wall can be quite sturdy if done properly.  But it shouldn't be nearly free, right?
The way I did it was this:
The barrel or bin requires 3 glass blocks.  This is akin to needing 3 bars.  Because it is a smelter reaction anyway, I just set it to do so.  The reaction takes 1 fuel.  each block takes 1 fuel.  So unless you have magma, it's going to be as expensive fuel-wise as metal, and if you have metal you can just use magma anyway.
To address the unbalancing qualities of magma, I simply added more creatures to it.  I have a flying fireball-throwing monstrosity that will fly out an attack as soon as you hit magma (or on embark if it is exposed), and a massive, slow-moving, hulking monstrosity which can walkthrough a hall of traps nearly unscathed and destroys buildings.  And fire imps reproduce in my magma, so you quickly get an impsplosion up to their population limit.  However, it is worth noting that in the future magma will be unstable and risky to use, as stated by Toady.  Earthquakes, sudden changes in pressure causing it to flow upward, maybe implement pyroclasts and 'lava bombs' raining out from the center and destroying anything they hit as though they were a fireball...
And for those that consider sand too easy, consider the number of times an embark did not have sand, or did not have magma.  Both are a luxury.  Unless your a cheapskate like me and modded out all non-sand soils, but that's an entirely other matter.

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2008, 04:48:41 pm »

One other thing about barrels is that when ceramics are implemented, barrel-size storejars are almost certain to exist, as that was one of the most-produced objects in pre-modern times.  A glass barrel is an equivalent to that in a way.

Sir E Brum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2011, 06:48:45 am »

Everyone knows that glass pots function exactly like barrels, right?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 07:30:20 am »

*Nudge* This thread is three years old

I just thought you might like to know.
[Signature]

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 12:27:09 pm »

*Nudge* This thread is three years old

I just thought you might like to know.
That doesn't mean people can just post stuff here without editing it as soon as it is implemented...

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 03:49:38 am »

OMG! 3 year necro!
How do you even find a thread like this?
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2011, 04:42:20 am »

OMG! 3 year necro!
How do you even find a thread like this?

This is the downside of people actually using the search feature, lol.  Every now and then someone uses the search feature and doesn't notice think about how old the original topic is.  I'd guess that happened here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:45:30 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2011, 08:37:22 am »

This is the downside of people actually using the search feature, lol.  Every now and then someone uses the search feature and doesn't notice how old the original topic is.  I'd guess that happened here.

You mean like the giant red warning indicating that the topic is over 120 days old?
Pages: 1 2 [3]