Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma lamp posts: question  (Read 2485 times)

Berrylee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma lamp posts: question
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:36:41 am »

I am currently carving the undercity of Archnight on the bottom z-level of the map, and just thought of a nice project:

Magma streetlights! Construct a pillar, on top of it a 3x3 floor, build windows on all but the central square, channel magma to that square from pipe from above, then later when all lights have been built, close the channel, do away with the remaining magma in it so that one square of magma is left on the top of the pillar. Of course, the rest of the z-levels except the buildings of the city will be carved away. This should look extremely cool in 3dwarf. I have a few questions though:

Does a single tile of magma "evaporate" over time? Are gem windows magma proof? Will this setup spawn fire snakes outside the lamp posts, and what about other creatures in them?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma lamp posts: question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:59:44 am »

Windows will melt, you will have to use glassblocks to make walls.
A full 7/7 tile will not evaporate and no snakes will come i think.
Other creatures such as imps? they only 'spawns' the first time you start the map or reclaim.

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:11 am »

I think 1/7 tiles evaporate, but any deeper will not.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:10 pm »

Aha!

I know for a fast that windows do not melt in magma! Only unconstructed windows would melt.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 01:58:40 pm »

Magma isn't much of a light source

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:05:33 pm »

Could you use an array of 3x3 hollow Glass Block floor-to-ceiling columns, with Lava flowing up or down through the hollow central cavity of each column?
Never pet a burning dog.

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:07:03 pm »

Does magma on the other side of glass/gem constructions actually make the room count as Lit?
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 04:33:53 pm »

Does magma on the other side of glass/gem constructions actually make the room count as Lit?
Is that even implemented at all?
Anyway, magma would not be a good option if one actually wanted illumination but more for the dwarfcoolfactor.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:21 pm »

Is that even implemented at all?
Anyway, magma would not be a good option if one actually wanted illumination but more for the dwarfcoolfactor.
Unless of course it was meant to be a secret cult meeting site.  man... to bad Nist Akath doesn't have magma.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 04:57:26 pm »

The light content of a square is currently detected from above only as far as I know, and the only way to change it from dark is to expose it to the outside.  But that doesnt really matter because its a cool idea, go for it.  The only thing with windows is that dwarfs and other things can break them.  And dwarfs have an awful tendancy to tantrum and throw things at other more important things so be carefull.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 05:06:13 pm »

If a dwarf actually goes and break the window he deserve whats comming, hopefully he wont go set something else on fire.
But in this case they won't reach as OP said he's going to place them on a column

Berrylee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 05:32:28 pm »

OP here. Just did an experiment and it works, gem windows do in fact hold magma. Which is good, because they are transparent in 3dwarf while glass walls are not.

I probably won't ever be finished with this project though because it's taken me literally all of today to construct, furnish and clean one domed palace (with royal dining for 200 dwarfs :D) and I had envisioned a large city with individual housing, squares, temples, apartment buildings and all. -_-

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:02:06 pm »

Hey ausome idea based on magma light idea you guys had rember that magma contains ALOT of heat energy right? i think i might be a bit cryptic today and say can you guys think of any uses for that heat

*hint* ive just had a idea of a power plant, glacier style *end Hint*
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 04:57:20 pm »

If you're not gonna finish the project, can you show us how the streetlights show up in 3Dwarf?

rember that magma contains ALOT of heat energy right?

By Jove, he's right!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 04:58:56 pm by Groveller »
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

aaaabaaccaadfda

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me A4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 06:34:01 pm »

can anyone figure out waht i mean  :D
if the world were binary all DF fans would be represented by smily faces
Pages: [1] 2