Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Totally Nonviolent Fortress  (Read 1810 times)

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
Totally Nonviolent Fortress
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:01:03 pm »

Say you wanted to have a totally nonviolent fortress - No armor or weapons made, no monsters killed whatsoever, no goblins killed.  If a dwarf is attacked, he's just a goner, if a goblin siege arrives, you get them all in cage traps or batton down the hatches and wait til they leave.

I'm thinking the only way to accomplish this without getting slaughtered would be cage traps.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  I'm thinking that by the 5th or 6th year you'd have at least 500+ creatures/goblins in cages.

Also, getting creatures and stuff that you capture tamed would be a major goal.  And no drafting anyone, at all.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:02:40 pm by Philosophical Gamer »
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Totally Nonviolent Fortress
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:36 pm »

What happens to tantrumming dwarves?

Otherwise, sounds like a nice challenge.  For added fun, give each captured goblin a room.

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 11:03:31 pm »

Can tantruming dwarves be caged?  Send em to the cage room!
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:47:37 pm »

1. Get X-hundred caged violent things.
2. Get two champions/legendary dudes.
3. Paint a room red.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:52:35 pm »

You can release caged captives outside and they will flee. Also, take their armor and weapons

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:24:23 am »

It seems certainly doable, but what about dogs or other violent animals? Would that be permitted?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 01:42:07 am »

What if the attacked dwarf kills his attacker via luck?
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 01:48:59 am »

Add a 'no death via blood, suffocation or falling' rule.  Then melt them in magma.  The heat would cauterize any woods before the blood can flow, while burning at the same time.  And they wont suffocate since the lungs would be melted away.  Ye can't suffocate if ye have no lungs to breath with.  :D

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 02:12:12 am »

Add a 'no death via blood, suffocation or falling' rule.  Then melt them in magma.  The heat would cauterize any woods before the blood can flow, while burning at the same time.  And they wont suffocate since the lungs would be melted away.  Ye can't suffocate if ye have no lungs to breath with.  :D

Actually, that would just be another way to suffocate. Removal of the lungs.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 06:57:53 am »

Hmm, you could seal your fortress inside a wall, no doors or bridges, and never interact with the outside wall.

Leave any immigrants to the mercy of the goblins/wildlife.  Just live far enough underground that you don't have to hear the screams.

Only problem I can think of is that starting dwarves don't breed, IIRC?  So your fortress would eventually die of old age.  And the belongings of all the dead stuff outside would ruin your stocktaking.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 06:59:58 am »

where the heck did you hear the founding dwarves didn't breed? That's proposterous, just to tell you.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:12:30 am »

where the heck did you hear the founding dwarves didn't breed? That's proposterous, just to tell you.

He's right you know. Dwarves don't breed. They just spawn babies.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:22:39 am »

I've managed to populate a fortress with 2 dwarves. I've got no migrants due to low wealth and many deaths (I went from 40+ to 2 after a failed flooding project when goblin ambush arrived; but I continued to play for the challenge), and those two bastards appeared to be male and female, and they've made ~ 5 or 6 babies before immigrants dared to arrive.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 12:24:41 pm »

I've managed to populate a fortress with 2 dwarves. I've got no migrants due to low wealth and many deaths (I went from 40+ to 2 after a failed flooding project when goblin ambush arrived; but I continued to play for the challenge), and those two bastards appeared to be male and female, and they've made ~ 5 or 6 babies before immigrants dared to arrive.

well what would you do all day if the only person around is from the other gender?
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 01:23:56 pm »

well what would you do all day if the only person around is from the other gender?

Form a grudge.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:47:55 pm by Pilsu »
Pages: [1] 2