Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thollokum: Expedition to the middle of nowhere  (Read 4175 times)

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Thollokum: Expedition to the middle of nowhere
« on: January 06, 2009, 09:57:22 pm »

Prologue

Today I have been selected as leader of the expedition to found the newest dwarven outpost Thollokum or as the humans would call it Deepspear. And I already wish someone else had been chosen.
   Why you might ask?. Our king in his infinite wisdom has chosen a site deep in the midst of mountain chain known as The Crest of Muds. A undead infested wasteland to be precise.  Sure it doesn’t look to bad on paper, there’s magma and even a underground river, as well as a few trees but look at the surrounding region:

Now you might be wondering what I’m trying to point out as there doesn’t seem to be anything there. That’s precisely the point, this site is literally in the middle of nowhere. If you wanted to go meet another intelligent creature you would have to follow this path:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
   Of course all that leads you to is goblins. If you want to go meet an intelligent creature that isn’t immediately going to try and kill you, you will have to go slightly farther.
   Yes merely to see a human you have to go between no less then 4 goblin strongholds.  Of course the last map is even better

That is the route I have to take to get to The Crest of Muds. The route is in fact so long that to actual fit it on a sheet of paper I had to use a quarter of the normal scale. This means that you can’t see that the route passes near almost no civilization barring a single human town, and a ever so wonderful gauntlet of 5 goblin strongholds.

Now that I’ve had a chance to vent I’m going to see what other poor dwarves had the misfortune of being roped along into this venture.

OOC: Just a quick note of interest. I'm playing with a custom mod I've devised, that adds a few new creatures and races. To avoid information overload I'll wait until these actual appear in the fortress to introduce them. This mod is also still in the midst of testing. I've checked that everything works on at least a superficial level, but there may still be a few unusual bugs left.

With that out of the way, it's time for the standard start of a community fortress, claiming dwarves. There are six dwarves in the starting expedition up for grabs. As usual post name, any gender preferences and starting skills. Any additional details are optional. I will say though that any miners will be greatly appreciated. 

List of Unclaimed dwarves
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:11:40 pm by Linthar »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Thollokum: Expedition to the middle of nowhere
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 10:06:36 pm »

Female miner named The Duchess.

She will pass her fury over a failed mandate on the very rock underneath them! She will forge armor to her pleasing!

Sure this doesn't follow template, but this likely gives more information than most templates.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:10:40 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:07 pm »

Name: Christes
Gender Preference: None
Skills: Miner / Mason

This sounds interesting

Dr.Universe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:18:17 pm »

Dwarf Name: Sir Eldritch
Male Gender Preference
Skills, divided however you want/need: Ambuser, Marksdwarf and Armor User... pet GOat if at all possible, if not don't sweat it.

I do hope he lasts past the first year!

Mook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:45:17 pm »

Dwarf Name:  Mook
Profession(s):  Something related to food.  Possibly a grower/cook or grower/brewer.  Or cook/brewer.  Whichever is most valuable to the fortress.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:09:13 pm »

Fireheart
Male
Either Engraving or Weapon/Armor smithing whichever is more needed.

Paulus Fahlstrom

• Bay Watcher
  • Multi-classing : Because wizards run out of spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:30:01 pm »

Pyropnea
Profession: Craftsdwarf

(2 in the following if possible Bone Crafter, Stonecrafter, Carpenter and 4 in Gem setting)

Likes to create things, all sorts of things. Doesn't mind helping smithing either.
I like dogs... with a little bit of garlic and salt...

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:45:44 pm »

Strife
No preference at the current time.

I liked the gaint map.
Wait, can I have a mapmaker/ architect/ miner?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 02:27:42 pm »

Part 1: Strike the Earth

Chapter 1: Initial arrival

Journal of Linthar, expedition leader
1st of Granite 501: After an ridiculously long journey we have arrived. I’ve had enough time to get to know my fellow dwarves to be able to give some brief descriptions.

First there’s The Duchess. I’m not quite sure whether that’s supposed to be a presumptions name or a even more presumptuous title. She’s a miner, and she worries me. While any of my fellow dwarves will spot the problem immediately the issue would not be so apparent to outsides.

I refer to of course the god she worshiped, the ever so delightful god of nightmares. She bears keeping a close eye on.

Secondly there’s Christes. She’s the second miner on this expedition and also serves as our mason.

Third comes Sir Eldritch. He’s trained as a hunter, which is a fairly useless skill given that the we’re surrounded by undead. Luckily though this training has also left him a skilled marksdwarf which will be extremely when it comes time to defend against the aforementioned undead. Unfortunately dwarven law forbid him from bringing his pet goat on the expedition, and the undead mountain goats in the region would make a poor substitute.

Fourth there’s Mook. He’s in charge of the growing our food and of course the most essential of all jobs, brewing our beer.

Fifth there’s Fireheart. He’s trained in the forging of both weapons and armor. This skill is going to be essential in the first few weeks as to save on costs, the mountain homes in the infinite wisdom sent us into a undead infested wasteland with bars of copper instead of actual weapons.

Then there’s Pyropnea. She’s in charge of carpentry, and creating all the various trade goods the caravans will demand in exchange for their grossly overpriced supplies.

Finally there’s me. I’m the fort’s third miner, as well as the expedition leader, and all the other related administrative tasks.

I’ve also had a chance to look at the surrounding region. There’s an exposed magma pipe as well as two unusual landmarks.

The first of these landmarks is the chasm on the eastern side of the region. It is the single least accessible chasm I’ve seen without being completely sealed to the outside world.

As you can see the entrance to the chasm is an incredibly narrow squeeze, located at the bottom of this huge slope.

Besides being filled with the usual undead chasm dwellers there is a sight that fills me with dread, giant cave spider silk. Hopefully those beasts are all trapped on inaccessible ledges.

The other landmark is an enormous crater. For some bizarre reason this landmarks allow me to dig down far further then any regular fortress could. I estimate I could fit 30 levels in before the ground gets to hard to dig any deeper. I have to go now. I have a fortress to design.   

OOC: Sorry about the short update but I have a fairly intricate design in mind for this fortress, and its going to take me quite a while to actually lay out the plans in game, so I decided to get this out first to tide you over. Next update there will be actual events to report on.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 09:54:21 pm »

Chapter 2: Birth of a fortress

Journal of Linthar, expedition leader
1st of Granite 501: I’ve laid out enough plans to begin construction on the fortress itself. The design is heavily vertically oriented. The fortress is essential designed as a underground tower, and all 30 levels have a planned use. I do have a few other ideas in mind but those will remain a secret for now.
   Of course its one thing to plan a fortress and another to build it. With only 7 dwarves manpower is extremely limited, so I’m focusing on getting four essentials built. The first is a simple moat and bridge, to protect against hostile undead. I also need to get the farms built, as well as the bedrooms, and a temporary forge to forge our copper bars into an axe and some armor. The rest can wait.

11th of Granite 501: So in eleven days we’ve managed to find gold which is gold, microcline which nobody cares about and most annoying alunite 3 separate times, as if I didn’t get the message the first time someone find a pointless white stone. I swear if anyone bothers me for such trivial reasons again I’m going to  … “We’ve struck Orthoclase”

Linthar Miner has become enraged

24th of Granite 501:  We just ran into our first problem. A group of 5 zombie antmen started to advance on the fortress. Thankfully Sir Eldritch brought a crossbow with him, and with the help of 2 war dogs, managed to destroy them, earning 3 kills to his name.

12 of Slate 501: Much to my surprise living horses were spotted coming from the hills to the north. Upon hearing the news Eldritch immediately left to go hunt them.

20th of Slate 501: Sir Eldritch is still hunting the wild horses despite having run out of bolts. Not surprisingly wild horses run faster then your average dwarf and Eldritch is getting no where. I shouted to Eldritch that I was making him part of the military, in hopes of being able to order him back, but he’s continuing to chase the horses.

21st of Slate 501: I realized that under standard dwarven law all dwarves in the military are required to chase any enemies they encounter unless specifically ordered otherwise. After I ordered Eldritch not to chase his foes he came back to the safety of the fortress, but not before managing to bludgeon one of the horses with his crossbow. I have unfortunately needed to forbid him from going hunting as its too dangerous for our only defender to be running around far away from the fort.

23rd of Slate 501: After two months someone has actually gotten around to digging out the farms.

4th of Felsite 501: Guess what we’ve found more microcline. I never knew such a stone was interesting enough to warrant attention the first time it was found let alone the fourth.

7th of Hematite 501: Everyone now has their own bedroom, and I have set up a temporary office in the hallway. I have plans for far better rooms for us founders but the rest of the fort takes priority for now.

14th of Hematite 501: Today I have made several changes to the arrangement of work. I have taken a break from mining to record our stocks. Meanwhile with some many undead we have little use for a dedicated hunter, and we have to few dwarves for a dedicated military. As such I have ordered Eldritch to act as our mason and mechanic until a replacement can be found. Similarly the fort is too small to provide work for a full time metalsmith so Fireheart is temporally going to act as our fourth miner.

28th of Hematite 501: As if this region wasn’t bad enough I’ve sighted a zombie giant eagles in the distance. If it comes any closer things can get ugly.

19th of Galena 501: My most hated animal has arrived.  The Rhesus Macaque. And even the fact that they are among the living can not lessen the my distaste. They did not last long, but managed to trigger every cage trap I had placed, meaning that I will have to use more precious wood to restock the traps. On the plus side as soon as we build a butchers I look forward to Rhesus Macaque steaks.

27th of Galena 501: In a wasteland of death we have new life. Our wardogs have given birth to a total of four puppies.

10th of Limestone 501: The dwarven caravan has arrived, having undertaken the same long journey that brought us to this place. Sadly we only had a slim amount of stonecrafts to trade, and only managed to get a few meager supplies in exchange.
   Afterwards I met with the Liaison Litast Deninks. He’s not a very remarkable fellow. The only interesting event in his life was loosing a fight with a minotaur. Of course mere survival is impressive when that same minotaur has killed 74 other dwarves. I asked for a variety of seeds that I wasn’t able to bring along in our initial supplies. Strangely enough one of the items he requested in return was seeds. Why he thinks we would have any seeds to trade when we just asked for them is a mystery.

OOC: If your wondering how that minotaur has done so well, its because as part of my mod I've stolen an idea I've seen elsewhere on these boards and given all mega and semimega beasts a substantial boost during world generation to help them survive.

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:57:54 am »

Chapter 3: Many visitors

18th of Sandstone 501: As the caravan was leaving the first kobolds of many were spotted. Given that they were spotted by the caravans armored guards the encounter did not go well for them.
   But this makes me ponder one of the great mysteries of the world, the motivation of the endless swarms of kobold thieves. Many have tried to answer it, but due to an inability to communicate with kobolds no one knows for sure.
   The leading theory though is that in what passes for society among kobolds rank is determined by wealth. Given the primitive nature of their society such wealth can only be gained through theft. Good areas to steal from are in short supply, and as such lower ranking kobolds travel to new fortresses such as this one out of desperation, and if  don’t stop thinking about this I’m in danger of actually feeling sympathetic to those pests.

3rd of Moonstone 501: Today I’ve seen the first evidence that leaving for these wastes was worth it. While digging one of the staircases I spotted one of the rarest of all metals mithril. Of course like every valuable metal it had to show up in an area I was planning on leaving as a wall, but walls can always be rebuilt.
   Modding Spotlight: Although everyone probably already knows this mithril is an incredibly light, strong and rare metal that looks similar to silver. In game terms it is about half the strength of adamantine and is found in small clusters on the deepest levels underground. It is supposed to only show up rarely, and even in the few forts that have it be hard to find, but the numbers still need some fine-tuning.

12th of Moonstone 501: Today another caravan was sited. The golems
   Modding Spotlight: The golems are as the name suggested magical constructs. They take the appearance of large  iron statues. They were created by a powerful wizard to settle the frozen south where no living being could survive, and harvest the wealth locked away under the ice. The wizard is no longer around, but the golems continue to serve.
   As a consequence the golems mine the glacier covered south, forge the metal into crude crafts, and brings those crafts north to trade. The golems then return with their newly gained wealth back to the south waiting to give it to their master, who they don’t realize will never return.
   In game terms golem caravans are useful for two  thing. They bring more metal then any other caravan, and the caravans are guarded, which can be useful when a young fortress is attacked.

While I’d heard the stories, nothing could have prepared me for trading with them. It was an unnerving experience. The golems just stood there silently, their guards watching, ready to turn the saws and hammers they use in their crafts into a deadly weapon at a moments notice. When I finally proposed a trade they spoke in unison a single word “YES”. I left the scene soon afterwards.

1st of Granite 502: A new year is dawning and has brought several welcome events with it. First while I was digging out the room that will hold our magma forges I struck a second vein of mithril. This region is proving rich indeed.
   Secondly today marks the unveiling of the hall of history. It’s clear that we’ll all going to be staying here a long time, and the hall will chronicle our story. Every year a new room will be dug out and engraved. This year the honor of engraving goes to Fireheart, but if we’ll luckily we’ll soon get a dedicated engraver.   

17th of Granite 502: The elven caravan has arrived, and as much as I’d like to hate them I can’t. They brought several magnificent animals, and I was able to procure a elephant and a giant leopard. Now I just need to work up the courage to open the cages.

5th of Slate 502: I took some time today to examine the work in the hall of history. There’s a few interesting pieces. First hinting that our nation might be the most boring in all of history comes a stunning rendition of our civilizations symbol, cave wheat.

Thollokum's symbol on the other hand is maces. I seem to have been left out of the deliberations for this but as symbols go it’s decent.

Finally Fireheart managed to engrave a piece of history from the region, a surprising feat given the isolation. It’s a human being killed by a zombie sasquatch. It’s actually a local legend. The human Doce Howlswam was a local hero who spent three years hunting the undead in these mountains. He killed many before he met the sasquatch Blockadedpunches. Howlswam was losing the battle when he saw an opening an stabbed Blockadedpunches straight through the head with his spear. However undead are not so easily destroyed, and Blockadedpunches kept up the assault and forced Howlswam to flee. Despite the setback Howlswam kept fighting the undead, until he ran into Blockadedpunches again, his spear still embedded in the sasquatches head. This time though fate was not on his side, and he died to his old foe. They say that Blockadedpunches still roams these mountains, just waiting for the next foolish hero to try and tame these evil lands.

6th of Slate 502: By the official standards as written in the general body of the dwarven laws, The Duchess can now be considered a legendary miner. I’m not sure how a year of mining in an obscure fortress in the middle of nowhere qualifies one as a legend, but the laws are very clear on this subject. Congratulations The Duchess.

7th of Slate 502:  Today migrants were sighted in the distance, a whole 20 of them led by a miner named Strife. I have a tally of them here. As leader of this fort I have a lot of work ahead of me to integrate them into this fort, so I’ll keep this entry short for now.
   1 lyemaker
   5 peasants
   1 butcher
   1 woodcrafter
   2 miners (Including Strife)
   1 miller
   1 stonecrafter
   1 woodworker
   1 craftsdwarf
   1 engraver
   1 herbalist
   1 weaver
   1 milker
   1 dyer
   1 metalsmith

OOC: There are plenty of dwarfs to claim if anyone wants one. Also I'm going to be starting up a military soon, so feel free to request a spot.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 03:55:15 pm »

Name: Shoruke
Profession: Axedwarf. Wears the heaviest armor and biggest shield available. He chooses an axe because it can both sever limbs AND knock enemies away. I just love hitting enemies and sending them flying into other enemies.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 05:33:28 pm »

Name: Rwane
Profession: Wishs to re kill the undead with a hammer crush those bones!

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 02:34:49 pm »

Chapter 4: Expansion

7th of Slate 502: I have finished preparations for the new migrants. The beds have been ordered, the bedrooms are being dug out, and their jobs have been examined. Very few changes had to be made other then assigning a few peasants to handle masonry as Christies is far to busy mining to handle that job.
   The most welcome news from this migrant comes for us founders. All the excess duties that I assigned during the first year can now be removed, as well as all our hauling. That is a task for less skilled dwarves.
   The final issue of the day was to start planning a military. We do not yet have the armor necessary for safe sparring but that will be taken care of soon. In the meantime I have met two potential recruits.
   The first Shoruke was a lyemaker.

The second Rwane was a miller.

As any dwarf knows professions such as these, are ones dwarves go into when they secretly desire to enter the military, but for various reasons would not normally be allowed. They then travel to distant fortresses knowing there would be no normal usage for their skills. Shoruke and Rwane have both confirmed this, and are eager to be recruited as soon as possible.

21st of Slate 502: The remaining copper bars have been turned into platemail, and a couple of wooden shields have been carved. This is hardly the greatest armor in the world but it will do for now. Later when the magma forges are ready these can be replaced with far superior iron armor.
   On the surface the sparring has begun. Joining Shoruke and Rwane, are a milker and Sir Eldritch. Eldritch will eventually be serving as a marksdwarf, but as the only dwarf in the entire fortress with the slightest bit of military experience I thought it would be wise for him to lead the training.

11 of Felsite 502: The final channel has been dug and magma is now flowing towards our forges. It will not be long before out metalworking operations can begin. This has also left me with considerable freedom in the expansion of the fort, as there are no more pressing issues to deal with.
   As such I am designating several new projects.  First we need more stockpiles to be moved underground. Second we need to expand the dining room. Thirdly the region is rife with exposed veins of hematite, and the time has come to collect them. Finally there’s a project I have in mind a big one, and it is time to take the first steps down that road.

19th of Felsite 502: It seems that some of the hematite is going to have to stay unprocessed as one particular vein has acquired a deadly guardian, a zombie giant eagle. I believe it may be the same one I saw nearly a year ago.

25th of Felsite 502: The official standards in the body of dwarven law really need to be revised. I apparently qualify as a legendary miner myself, and I can tell you that I am not legend yet.
   Also of note I’ve been informed that one of the peasants, Talakin is acting particularly secretive today and has apparently been sighted heading towards one of the craftsdwarfs shops as if in some sort of trance. I have heard legends about such things but never dreamed that it would happen here. Yet if the stories are true Thollokum will soon be blessed by an item that surpasses all dwarven craftsmanship, an artifact.

26th of Felsite 502: I heard that Talakin has started his construction and I went down to get a peak at what grand inspiration he has had. I saw him working on a single stone like every stonecrafter in all the mountainhomes. So much for the legends.

1st of Hematite 502: Talakin the peasant, or at least the former peasant and now legendary stonecrafter has completed his work, Galecherished, a very ordinary looking crown. Yet simply because this former peasant decided to make a crown without being ordered to and gave it a fancy name, he can now be classified as legendary. I’m really starting to hate that word.

9th of Hematite 502: The humans have arrived with their caravan, and the first thing they asked was if I had any works by Talakin for trade because their suddenly in high demand. How they can be in high demand, when he never made a single item until 8 days ago, is beyond me, but demand is demand, so I’ll have him make some stone crafts.
   The trades themselves were mundane. I got food barrels and wood, in exchange for assorted crafts. The same stuff that happens in every single other fortress on the planet. On a related note though the humans also requested that I trade them seeds the next time they come around. Why would any fortress trade away seeds when they are worth so little and help so much.

7th of Malachite 502: The magma forges are now operational, and I can at last reveal the design. This is hardly the most efficient possible design, but it is unmatched in it’s potential to impress visitors.

9th of Malachite 502: With all the mining that needs to be done, I’ve had less and less time for my administrative duties, so I’ve decided to pass on the record keeping and work ordering managing to someone else, like that peasant that just walked by. I better go tell him about his promotion.

6th of Limestone 502: Recordkeeping seems to be more beneficial then I though. Our new clerk after a mere two months on the job, seems to have had an idea. An idea from a dream specifically, given that we noticed he was acting strange when he woke in the middle of a dream, and dashed towards our mason’s workshop. He’s now racing around the fortress collecting assorted items.

8th of Limestone 502: Our clerk seems to have run into a problem. He’s insisting that he needs silk cloth for his masterpiece. At first glance we don’t have any, but I remembered buying a single spool of silk thread from the last dwarven caravan. Hopefully that will make enough cloth for the clerk to precede.

14th of Limestone 502: The clerk has begun his construction. He seems to be using two stones, a piece of silk cloth, and some turtle bones. At least this has potential unlike the last so called artifact we got.

17th of Limestone 502: The dwarven caravan made its second visit today. Once again I made the usual trades for assorted food, drink, metal, wood, cloth, and leather all the raw materials we could possibly need. Much to my disgust Talakin’s crafts were worth a lot. I also got all the seeds I had asked for. In a worrisome sign, this was also the third caravan in a row to request that I sell them seeds next year. I’m starting to wonder if the farmers back home are having some sort of crisis I haven’t heard of yet.
   Today the clerk also finished his statue. While its name Mutebudded the Conflict of Sports is utterly nonsensical, it is a good piece of work. It has an image of Datan Tradetribe the last queen of the second dynasty of the swords of stability. She was always rebellious working as a common guard for a time, much to her father’s dismay, and when she inherited the throne, she never married leaving it ripe for Stukos Shovegates to seize upon her death. On a related note our clerk now rates as a legendary mason, and the meaning of the word continues to be diluted.

3rd of Sandstone 502: Although this notification comes slightly late, Christies is now our third legendary miner, and our fifth legendary dwarf in a fortress less then two years old. Pretty soon their going to tell me I have to call all dwarves legendary so I don’t hurt anyone’s feelings.

12th of Timber 502: My first project is complete a long tunnel spiraling into the depths of the earth to a room that will soon house the new trade depot. I’ve been telling the others that the goal is for the lengthy tunnel to give caravans the impression that the fortress is far larger then it is, but the truth is it is something that is far greater. It is the first step towards what I’m calling the Transformation, and when the Transformation is complete nothing will be the same again.

OOC: Since tunnels can't be shown very well through screenshots I've uploaded the map here. If any part of the fortress design doesn't make sense, it's probably because there's a great amount of work left to do to reach my ultimate goal.

As always feel free to claim a dwarf, and or request that your dwarf enters the military. I'll be updating the original post shortly with a list of unclaimed dwarves.

EDIT: 13th of Timber 502: Apparently while I was distracted with finishing the tunnel six dwarves migrated here with out me noticing. I have no idea how I missed the announcement.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:49:00 pm by Linthar »

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 03:31:44 pm »

Very nice.

Name: Vame Zai
Skills: Engraving, please. =D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:15:57 pm by Zaithemaster »
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: [1] 2