Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shield and Blocking Question  (Read 1247 times)

bamorrow

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McMason has been feeling clever lately.
    • View Profile
Shield and Blocking Question
« on: January 06, 2009, 08:49:36 pm »

I'd just gotten around to "arranging" for a Dwarven Outpost to strike adamantine and create one short sword one war hammer and one shield before careless miners revealed the !!hidden fun stuff!!

the sword and war hammer perform with fantastic results, even without a quality upgrade (since i didn't prepare their creation that well) the results are evident and satisfying.

the shield, not so much.  since switching from my *iron shield* my plain ole adamantine shield actually appears to be allowing attacks to connect with greater frequency than before.  the best i can assume is that the quality enhancement affects the chance to block and that the material enhancement does not.

did lead to an invigorating (fun) escape from a goblin tower though.  after the Demon leader fried my adventurer's hands denying me a grasp a lucky break got me a chokehold and strangulation kill.  and sneaking out i only encountered two thieves and a woodcutter.  the second thief got his arm torn off with my teeth.  good thing you don't need a grasp to throw.  or that might've been worse.

walked it off.
KAlSi3O8

AdvancedBen2E

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shield and Blocking Question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 04:20:34 pm »

The best thing I can think of is that quality does affect skill. The higher the quality, the higher the bonus to your skill. So if you manage to get an artifact shield, your block skill gets the best bonus it can.
That being said, I'm not sure what the advantage is with an adamantine shield vs an *iron shield*.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 01:32:03 pm »

Light weight.

manored

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven god of pointless violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 01:38:15 pm »

I suppose that a strong shield is less likely to get broken and more likely to break enemy weapons upon blocking.
In the beggining, there were the dwarves