Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Groundhogs beat me up  (Read 2411 times)

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Groundhogs beat me up
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:23:27 pm »

Well, not really, but you get the point - every living being on DF makes tallow soap of my adventurers. If I make a crossbowman, a Giant Rat murders me after taking down a Giant with stealth or I get ambushed by fucking wolves. A swordsman? My blows glance off the skin of everything bigger than me, and I can't get much done after gouging my enemies' eyes out and poking their noses just before getting dismembered (by the way, the combat engine in DF Adventure is truly gruesome).

So, any tips for continued survival and training? I would like to terrorize elven retreats with a Drill Lord, but for now it seems unlikely.

dUMBELLS

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Misc. Object User (RUSTY)
    • View Profile
Re: Groundhogs beat me up
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:07:29 pm »

Do you ever take companions with you?

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 06:23:42 pm »

I try to recruit some people, but nobody ever joins me. I read that there were some drunks in the pubs, but I could never find any. Hell, sometimes the Extremely Agile Mayor would outrun me as I tried to get closer to him.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:36:53 pm »

Do this.

-Pick skill swim up to no label, when you're choosing your skills in the beginning
-Find an area that isn't cool or warm in the morning, or else... ice I shit you not, watch out for that
-Sneak, lay low, and swim for the next half hour in said pool
- ???
- Profit!

-Actually most of your attributes should be fairly higher by the end of that half hour making it easier to recruit new people
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:05:49 pm »

Also high shield skill is something that saves almost from everything.
Find some BLUDGEONING creature (or it will occasionally tear your eyes/neck/etc.) and lay near it with a shield. Remove your weapon to prevent deadly counter-strikes and wait until your blocking goes high high high...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:37:54 pm »

If you want to go harass some benign wildlife (They won't attack you on the (T)ravel screen, so you'll have to search them out yourself)... don't pick horses. They got a NASTY kick. Blew me 'ead right off!

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:15:37 pm »

Okay, taking all your advice into account I'm now training an olympic-class human swimmer and thrower. Perhaps I'll search me some hoary marmots later.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 11:48:08 pm »

Find a zombie-anything-weak and strangle it forever until before you pass out. This will make you a legendary wrestler and shield user if you do it for awhile and boost all your stats.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:58:34 pm »

Optinal but vey useful: Run a fortress until you get artifact/adamantine weapon and armor. place those things ina bin and abandon, returning with a dorf adventurer to get weapon/armor. Watch out for nasties.

1:Become a hammerdwarf.

2: Do everything everybody else said.

3: Kill plenty of fauna/zombies, wait a while at a human pub, plenty of semi-skilled military humans will show up, about a third of them will be willing to join you.

4: Find a megabeast.

5: ???

6: Profit.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:01:04 pm by Vincent »
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Astus Ater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 02:50:32 am »

I had some sucess with one adventuer, butI don't think the community will like the suggestion. Create an Elven Bowman. Put some points into sword user and wrestling as well. Higher wrestling lets you dodge attacks instead of having to block them.

The really good thing about elven adventuers is that they have insane speed, and most creatures, including wolves, will ignore you. Just beware that elves are pansies, as my elf(who didn't have any "Tough" attributes) fell in and out of uncounciousness after breaking his left hand.
Legendary Liar:  "I just stabbed you and you died.  Sorry."
Victim:  "Well, if you say so." *thud*

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 03:16:56 am »

How come no one mentions how broken the throw skill is?

Yeah, it's broken alright, pick up LOTS of pebbles or sand or anything, and throw it at things. Once you get up to a decent skill level, you'll be severely injuring things with just a few pebbles, and killing them with the next few.

Just one tip, don't pick up very heavy objects with the intent to throw them, cause heavy objects slow you down, and being slow in adventure mode is BAAAAD!

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 04:26:58 am »

The +Silk Sock+ hits you on the right ear.
It explodes in gore!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 04:28:59 am »

The +Silk Sock+ hits you on the right ear.
It explodes in gore!

EXACTLY!

Orange Drink

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 05:29:55 am »

Just one tip, don't pick up very heavy objects with the intent to throw them, cause heavy objects slow you down, and being slow in adventure mode is BAAAAD!

despite heaviness, a lump of stone from an abandoned fortress does the same damage when bashed or thrown at someone as a stone-fall trap.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 06:00:29 am »

What I'd like to see from throwing is lopped off limbs treated as thrown objects.

The elf whore hits you in the left arm with her right arm.
The left arm flies off in a bloody arc!
The spinning left arm hits the elf whore in the head.
It explodes in gore!
The elf whore has been struck down.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:02:05 am by Yanlin »
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: [1] 2