Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Age of Emptiness  (Read 6248 times)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Emptiness
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 04:48:10 am »

Adventure mode with fortress mode skills would basically make this an empty sandbox. You'd have to make everything entirely for yourself- Clothing, equiptment, housing, etc.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »

The idea is to retire a series of adventurers in towns, and see what happens.
!!&!!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 03:34:51 pm »

Can you upload the World of Emptiness?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 06:22:40 pm »

Just blank your creatures_standard.txt(not delete), then generate a new world. You'll probably want to do this with a different installation, though. This will yield a legends-only world.

If you want to have adventurers, you'll want to enable them in a new entities file.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »

It seems that disabling the ability for the civilizations to breed, either by making the civilization universally male, or by removing child tags, also disables the world generators ability to place them at the start of the game.

The Momentous Plane, region3: No controllable entity definitions available
The Momentous Plane, region3: No controllable entity definitions available

Is anyone aware of a way to make an asexual civilization?

That's not true, I made a race of servitors I used to dig out fortresses before I reclaimed them with dwarves and made them with the [NOGENDER] token and they spawned just fine,
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 11:06:44 am »

So, I was trying to rename the dwarves with Cyrillic characters, saving the raw in UTF-8. I found that it wasn't possible, since the raws are formatted in IBM-850, but oh well. Meanwhile, I found something I thought was relatively funny:

Now I want to populate the world with adventurers, all appearing from nowhere and starting their own towns and civilisations. It would be quite interesting to actually have an Adam and Eve and resume world generation from that point.

It's IBM-437 actually... though, A cyrillic mod with a custom tileset is probably possible.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2009, 12:02:15 pm »

Regarding asexual civilizations:

I've made [FEMALE] civilizations before, and they work fine. Sure, they don't breed - but if you up their starting numbers, make them immortal, and perhaps even give them the babysnatcher\slavery tag, they do fine anyways.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 01:30:57 am »

Maybe make a custom race with a life span of exactly 200 years, and disable their ability to breed. Make them the only civilization in the world.

How the experiment coming?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 10:06:49 pm »

I wish to play in this world.

So long as there are no goblins.

Goddamn Bowgoblins...

All you need to do is delete or otherwise invalidate entity_default.txt(such as by saving it in UTF-8). If you want to adventure in such a world, though, you'll need to create adventurer entities.

Speaking of creating adventurer entities, I've a slightly updated version of my Python utility:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=771

It goes through every file beginning with "creature_"(except creature_fanciful.txt) and creates adventurer-only entities from all of them(except those which seem unplayable, such as vermin). It should work rather better in Windows now, since I've actually tested it there.

A bit off-topic ,but I'm getting an "Internal Server Error" whenever I try to download your utility.  Any ideas? ???

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 04:06:15 am »

Maybe make a custom race with a life span of exactly 200 years, and disable their ability to breed. Make them the only civilization in the world.

How the experiment coming?

Whoops, thought I had already mentioned. If the civilization entity can't breed, it is rendered invalid and will not be placed on world gen. I've tried making them all male, all female, and no gender, but nothing works.
!!&!!

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 04:17:22 am »

There's no need for such tweaking. Just set max population to 20 in the world gen parameters. If that doesn't help after a few tries, try reducing START_GROUP_NUMBER it the entity definition. Also you can reduce the number of civilizations and increase number of caves (so civ members will have lots of enemies to die fighting).

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 01:59:20 pm »

Hello!

I took the liberty of quickly genning such a world - that is a world where there had been various civs but which have gone extinct.

Code: [Select]
Created in DF v0.28.181.40d.

[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:MEDIUM]
[SEED:1828]
[HISTORY_SEED:46218]
[NAME_SEED:644627]
[DIM:257:129]
[END_YEAR:1050]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:200:-1]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:0]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:1:400:200:1500]
[RAINFALL:0:100:1600:400]
[TEMPERATURE:10:115:150:150]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:500:500]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:1600:1600]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:1600:1600]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:20:200:400]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:20:200:400]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:10]
[OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:200]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:500:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:4500:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:4000:2:2]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:500:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:500:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:1000]
[RIVER_MINS:100:20]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:0]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:5000]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:20]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:500]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:800]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:800]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_RIVER:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_POOL:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_POOL:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_CHASM:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_PIT:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_OTHER:1]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:1]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:7]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:16]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

I also uploaded the world at the depot as it may take a while to generate because of all the caves. (Most of the settings may seem odd, but this was a quick genning based off existing settings).

However, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't settle in ruined towns in adventure mode, thus turning this into a dead end. The question would be if fortress mode would consequently open up dwarven adventurer mode (at least for "Play Now!").

Ah, I have the fix for the cat bug applied (see bugs forum).

Deathworks

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:49 pm »

Thank you Deathworks, this is precisely what I was hoping for.
!!&!!

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 09:10:09 pm »

I wish to play in this world.

So long as there are no goblins.

Goddamn Bowgoblins...

All you need to do is delete or otherwise invalidate entity_default.txt(such as by saving it in UTF-8). If you want to adventure in such a world, though, you'll need to create adventurer entities.

Speaking of creating adventurer entities, I've a slightly updated version of my Python utility:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=771

It goes through every file beginning with "creature_"(except creature_fanciful.txt) and creates adventurer-only entities from all of them(except those which seem unplayable, such as vermin). It should work rather better in Windows now, since I've actually tested it there.

A bit off-topic ,but I'm getting an "Internal Server Error" whenever I try to download your utility.  Any ideas? ???

It seems that the Dwarf Fortress File Depot didn't like my bz2, since the .zip works. I've posted the latest(very crude, but functional) version on my blog anyway:

http://leerokthelacerta.blogspot.com/2009/01/leeroks-adventurise-dwarf-fortress.html

One will require a browser such as Firefox, Opera, or Konqueror. Oddly, Chrome doesn't seem to work, but oh well. Internet Explorer won't work.

I'll probably do updates to both pages.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:19:00 pm by Leerok the Lacerta »

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2009, 10:06:23 pm »

There was an invention of a style of storing data on computers called "files". You might want to look into it some time, it became quite popular a while back.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3