Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Age of Emptiness  (Read 6250 times)

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
Age of Emptiness
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:59:22 pm »

So, I was trying to rename the dwarves with Cyrillic characters, saving the raw in UTF-8. I found that it wasn't possible, since the raws are formatted in IBM-850, but oh well. Meanwhile, I found something I thought was relatively funny:

Now I want to populate the world with adventurers, all appearing from nowhere and starting their own towns and civilisations. It would be quite interesting to actually have an Adam and Eve and resume world generation from that point.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Emptiness
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:13:20 pm »

HAhahaha!  That's awesome.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:15:26 pm »

Hmmm. I'm sure civs can not be generated except for the world creation. And adventurers can only add to the population of an existing one. And, unsurprisingly, if you have no towns, there is no place to retire them. Otherwise, the idea is brilliant.

P.S. Apparently civs can not be destroyed either (after worldgen has ceased of course). If you kill all civ members with an adventurer, it will still exist. And, in case of a dwarven civ, you can still play it in fortress mode and get immigrants and caravans popping out of nowhere.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:17:50 pm by Murphy »

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:10:06 pm »

Perhaps there are huge quantities of animals and monsters on that map, what with nobody around to slaughter them on a regular basis.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:41:02 pm »

Hmmm. I'm sure civs can not be generated except for the world creation. And adventurers can only add to the population of an existing one. And, unsurprisingly, if you have no towns, there is no place to retire them. Otherwise, the idea is brilliant.

P.S. Apparently civs can not be destroyed either (after worldgen has ceased of course). If you kill all civ members with an adventurer, it will still exist. And, in case of a dwarven civ, you can still play it in fortress mode and get immigrants and caravans popping out of nowhere.

I was a little disappointed to find this out. I made demons and spirits of fire playable in adventurer mode and killed everyone in the dwarven and elven civs, but things went on like normal (until of course the kill count got too high and the game crashed every time it tried loading that world).
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 04:55:44 pm »

If there are ruins, it might be possible to add the tolerates ruins tag to races and attempt to retire them in the ruins. Again, that's only if there are ruins.
!!&!!

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:07:33 pm »

I wish to play in this world.

So long as there are no goblins.

Goddamn Bowgoblins...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:11:01 pm »

Its really easy to do this in the world gen, and yeah Ive gotten the idea to do something like this before. Too bad you cant retire without a town. I mean it would be nice to "settle" but you just cant. :(

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:08:23 pm »

I wish to play in this world.

So long as there are no goblins.

Goddamn Bowgoblins...

All you need to do is delete or otherwise invalidate entity_default.txt(such as by saving it in UTF-8). If you want to adventure in such a world, though, you'll need to create adventurer entities.

Speaking of creating adventurer entities, I've a slightly updated version of my Python utility:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=771

It goes through every file beginning with "creature_"(except creature_fanciful.txt) and creates adventurer-only entities from all of them(except those which seem unplayable, such as vermin). It should work rather better in Windows now, since I've actually tested it there.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 11:58:51 pm »

Why not just make the civ limit one then make a custom race that doesn't age to start a single town and make the pop cap something low. When the world gens most should be killed my the various beast of the world leaving only a few in a single town. It might take a bit to get right but it could work if you can handle not technically being the first people on the land.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 12:42:46 am »

Maybe make a custom race with a life span of exactly 200 years, and disable their ability to breed. Make them the only civilization in the world.
!!&!!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:42:51 pm »

Hey, that's my continent!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 08:17:07 pm »

Seriously, I'm going to have to experiment. Remove all civs except for humans, take out their ability to breed, or make them all one gender, give them a life span of 199 years, and see if towns persist after one year of zero habitation.
!!&!!

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 10:51:39 pm »

Or you could neuter everyone and give them a fixed lifespan.
Humans, dwarves, elves, and goblins alike.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 03:42:22 am »

It seems that disabling the ability for the civilizations to breed, either by making the civilization universally male, or by removing child tags, also disables the world generators ability to place them at the start of the game.

The Momentous Plane, region3: No controllable entity definitions available
The Momentous Plane, region3: No controllable entity definitions available

Is anyone aware of a way to make an asexual civilization?
!!&!!
Pages: [1] 2 3