Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oil!  (Read 3735 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oil!
« on: August 30, 2007, 02:51:00 am »

I haven't dug around much so I'm not entirely sure this has been suggested, but this hit me. In the next version, we'll be digging around all over the place, and potentially quite far underground... but there should be oil deposits that can be found deep underground and collected for use, slowly depleting that reservoir.

Crude oil in itself could probably be used as a fuel for furnaces... though I'm not sure if the dwarves can grasp any of the refining processes besides a crude form of fractional distillation.

Just a thought, and I'm sure oil could find many uses in a dwarf fortress once it's discovered and there's a way to refine it into a more usable form.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oil!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:54:00 am »

Dump it on your enemy's then set them on FIRE!
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:31:00 am »

Burning siege ammo!

It'd be great to have one more fuel for your forge.

Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:59:00 am »

Oil?!
What will be next? Uranium? What about no?   :eek:

Gauteamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Ignitur!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 05:56:00 am »

I'd love to experience the feeling of accomplishment looking at a well earned barrel of =basking shark liver oil=!!*
One of the fun properties of 'oil' is that is can be processed from about anything organic.

code:

|
              |
~~~~~~~~~~~\_@_|_@_/~~~~
         /
        /
       /   ^          _
      / __/(_________/(
      /_'((       ___(
       /____=====/   \(

*no, I am not talking about !!=basking shark liver oil=!!, the exclamation marks are just that: exclamation marks!!

[ August 30, 2007: Message edited by: Gauteamus ]

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 10:05:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tormy:
<STRONG>Oil?!
What will be next? Uranium? What about no?    :eek:</STRONG>

Why not?  There's already uranium ore (pitchblende) coming up in the next version, although it'll only be used to color glass, if at all.  It's not like petroleum was unknown to the ancients, and it could be used as a fuel, especially for torches, as well as an adhesive.

As I see it, keeping the supply low while not suffering peak oil in 1052 is the biggest problem.  A small trickle available at the surface should be an extremely valuable resource, so giving dwarves gushers would be pretty imbalancing.  Maybe oil-soaked rocks could generate an endless trickle without requiring a reservoir of actual oil, or possibly digging too greedily and too deep could lead to your fortress being flooded with pretroluem, which then spontaneously combusts.  A considerably more gruesome fate than simply being ravaged by a demon, or even elephants.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 11:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Abyssal Squid:
<STRONG>
it could be used as a fuel, especially for torches, as well as an adhesive.
</STRONG>

The combination flammable and adhesive makes me think of them as a nice weapon. Pour it in a wooden barrel, stick in slow burning fuse, light it, and chuck it at the enemy.

Napalm sticks to kids!

Now consider a tantruming dwarf on top of a series of sloping ramps, throwing burning barrels. No, wait. That game has already been done.    :)

And yes, I know crude oil isn't that flammable...

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

Oil IS on the list, and not just the oil from refined plants, but it definitely wont be in the next version.

"Acid" and "Goo" are also on the list for new liquid types along with Oil... So there's eventually going to be alot of fun stuff we'll be doing with the stuff.  :D

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »

Well, the romans used tar in jars to fling over walls of what ever place they were seiging, so i can't see why oil is something that shouldn't be implimented... It does mean, if toady hasn't fixed the flamy problems then a bunch of flaming gob's will march straight into your dwarfs :P

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »

Redirecting oil into a river = instant gg for downstream hummie's and gobbo's while the dwarves drink safely from the lower currents. And to finish it off, you put their wells on fire.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

PTTG?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://2funnyguys.com
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Oil IS on the list, and not just the oil from refined plants, but it definitely wont be in the next version.

"Acid" and "Goo" are also on the list for new liquid types along with Oil... So there's eventually going to be alot of fun stuff we'll be doing with the stuff.   :D</STRONG>

Where exactly is this list? I've been looking for more info on the new version, and I keep hearing about the new materials. Is it somewhere on the Dev pages?

.@..**@.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 03:26:00 pm »

Actually, the oil and acid and goo stuff isn't on the dev list, but it is buried somewhere in the depths of the "Future of the Fortress" thread.  Toady was talking about how many bits he had reserved for the type of fluid, and was saying that he'd probably allow for 7 different flow types.  Of those types, mentioned specifically were water, magma, "liquid evil", acid, oil, and goo, leaving one unclaimed (potentially: beer?).  This is just from memory though, I don't have a link... finding the specific page would take all day to read through all those pages.

Also in that thread he mentioned adding (IIRC) 70 new minerals/ores, and put them in the raws, so they can be added to or modified by we the users.  I seem to remember he posted the list somewhere, but I can't remember where.

[ August 30, 2007: Message edited by: Fieari ]

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>"liquid evil" <..> oil</STRONG>

aren't these the same thing?
seriously though, what is liquid evil?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »

There are lots of types of oil and other fossil fuels. What would happen if your mines hit a gas pocket o_O.

Digging for oil is probably a bad idea. Ever seen those old oil towers with a "gusher" coming out of them? Originally it was though of as a good thing but not anymore. Plus a gusher happening in an enclosed cave is a good way to entomb your entire fortress in tar.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

One of the liquids Toady stated was blood.
Pages: [1] 2