Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: DF awesome construction contest! best site ever inside!  (Read 12358 times)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: DF awesome construction contest! best site ever inside!
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 11:31:34 am »

But why are you trying to generate the with the seed then? I have uploaded the entire save. You should just have to download the linux df, and then execute df.exe and use the saved game? Have you tried that? Should work without any problem.
It doesn't work that way, I tried. The Linux version of DF only works on Linux.

No, that is not what I meant. I have already copied the raws from the uploaded df_linux Quift put up. I meant that I don't have this nice vulcano at the position, neither do I have the overflowing list of gnomes and goblins.

All I have at said embark point is a mangmapit at groundlevel without any vulcano shift over it, neither do I have even the lightest gnome/goblin on the map...

All I would like to have is the map without having to resort to abandoning and retake the fortress... :/

Did you use both the map seed and the history seed? If that doesn't work just copy the RAWS and the save file from his linux version into a windows version.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Warringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 11:42:56 am »

Since I am using Ubuntu and use the Linux version, that is not important.

What I want is to use the world, but without abandoning the safegame and needing to reclaim it. I want to play the same site with one of my saved groups of dwarfs...

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 06:16:11 pm »

On another note. I have goblins, dwarves and elves on this map. So I'm infested with kidnappers and thiefs so far. Hopefully I will have time to rebuild the entrance before the sieges appear. So far I have built the first layers of the entrance, and have started building the defensive fort on the corner. Idea is to have a castle on the corner (under construction), followed by a solid bridge over the magma (done), and building a circular open dome around the magma in microline. (two levels done). So the chasm will be constructed to be identical on every one of the 12 above hroind fort levels. and I will have residential appartments above the fortification on the edges with windowed rooms. This is the first project level. I'm going to complement this with a magma moat around the fortification, and eventually a magma fall inside the constructed "pipe" on the side of the bridges.

having goblins also means that I will have iron delivered to the door. Thats alwasy one of the stables of production in my forts.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 07:16:58 pm »

What I want is to use the world, but without abandoning the safegame and needing to reclaim it. I want to play the same site with one of my saved groups of dwarfs...

Oh, sorry about the confusion. I honestly don't know why your world would be generating different than Quift's.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Warringer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 10:44:59 am »

Oh, sorry about the confusion. I honestly don't know why your world would be generating different than Quift's.

Neither do I. But it remains the fact that I tried to get the same thread several times. And each time, I even get vastly different types of rock at the starting point, even if said starting point looks exactly the same... Somethimes its grabbo, granite, marble or even felsite...

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 05:43:17 pm »

Thats very weird. I generated the world with the downloadable df folder, after my very crude graphics installments in standard Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex. It might be due to not being the same kernel as either hardy, nor standard Linux kernels. But I'm talking out of my ass now. I suggest you try to get going with the save that I uploaded instead.

Good luck.

Also, there are goblins alright.

Vengo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »

I generated that map on a winXP computer with an AMD athlon 64 bit 3400+ processor in 40d

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2009, 10:52:25 pm »

Egads. Started in the aforementioned area - didn't last a season. Foolishly cracked the magma pipe/pit to start building a cool bridge-over-magma fortress entrance, which lead to everyone dying to 2 fire imps. :\
Goblin pricking does not sound like it could pay well enough.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 06:49:55 am »

I had the miner and the woodworker kill them, the woodworker is an competent axedwarf.

But I had some losses to those bastards aswell. They set the elven traders on fire, which was fun.

I could take those losses. First thing I did when I got some immigrants was to make a 6 strong marksdwarves squad. THere are now 3 left, after having repelled 3 imps, a bunch of antmen, and 3 goblin ambushes. I really need to finish up the entrance fortification before the sieges show up. Right now I have nothing against them. And I forgot to ask for an anvil, so I can't arm myself properly either.

All in all a great game.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 07:43:22 am »

I am in my third year without any anvil :'( Stupid goblins killed one whole merhcant so the soft mountianhome traders buggered off! Had no problem with wild life think it all killed it self off shame  ;D

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2009, 09:18:33 am »

I reclaimed, tantrum spiral (trogs, trolls, antmen and more imps) took me down to 50 dwarves in the first season alone - so I abandoned again. I think I'll try a different strategy next time.

xRedster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2009, 11:33:21 am »

I'm also getting the "Missing Reaction Definition" Fatal Error.

Any ideas on how to fix that?
Since I can't fight goblins, elves or humans, I'll just collapse mountains.

AltF8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • PeriodicGames
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2009, 09:20:32 am »

Well, finally got dug in on a restart (not a reclaim yay!), all seven lived. I am now hiding inside a fully walled fortress with a 3-tile lava moat and a single drawbridge for access. The map is populated by mole dogs, trogs, antmen and trolls, not to mention a giant living in the cave (which has a cool entrance). The only problems as of right now:

1. No bauxite was available on embark - I really hope there's some around somewhere, but I can do without if I have to. It's more dangerous, but possible. I do have 4 magma workshops up so far, but there is no lava control.
2. The first caravan had almost nothing of any value at all. No anvil, no crossbows, no weapons of any kind. I'm starting to fear MarineMorton's issue of no anvil for years to come.
3. The first caravan's liason apparently fell into the lava moat as it was filling. So now I can't request an anvil.

Here's hoping things don't get any worse, but I am loving this site. Thanks to OP for sharing.

Wilm0chimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2009, 08:06:41 am »

Where is this fortress on the world map?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2009, 09:10:11 pm »

I'm also getting the "Missing Reaction Definition" Fatal Error.

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Reread the thread? ;)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5