Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poisoned Bolts and Weapons  (Read 2288 times)

The Philosopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Poisoned Bolts and Weapons
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:35:48 am »

I've noticed traders coming with snakeman venom which is completely useless so I would like to suggest that bolts and other sharp weapons (like swords and axes) can be tipped with poison. Weapons however will lose the poison and have to be "re-poisoned" after some time.

The poison can be extracted from animals such as snakemen and giant scorpions at a workshop specially made for dealing with poison.

The poison can have effects like temporary paralysis, damage to the poisoned body part and nausea depending on the type of animal the venom came from. Higher quality poison will have more powerful effects.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Poisoned Bolts and Weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:06:28 am »

huzzah! a use for my 6 barrels of snakeman venom!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:17:58 am »

poison, as it stands in the game, is only useable by the creatures that MAKE the venom, so i heartily endorse. Currently, the only damage poison can do is either paralyze or stun a target temporarily, intermittently, or permanently (depending on the tags it has in the raws). So an expansion on number and effects of poison would also be appreciated. Perhaps poison that the causes severe pain (ala bee stings) or poison that makes creatures go blind or have uncontrollable muscle spasms.

One thing i don't quite understand though about what you said is the 'quality' of the poison? How the hell does that happen? it's not like two different rattlesnakes will produce different venom, because they're both rattlesnakes! Unless your talking about the poison first undergoing some sort of refinement process that i wouldn't know about, i don't know how that'd work.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:31:51 am »

superdwarvenly tough dwarves should be able to absorb the venom and shoot it out of their tear ducts. (they don't use them for anything else!)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:33:42 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:37:26 am »

This should be in the ethics raws. I don't think dwarves need this kind of cheap tricks but kobolds could certainly use help. Humans might consider it too if dwarves ever become the artisans in the game, it'd help bridge the gap nicely

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:29:00 am »

One thing i don't quite understand though about what you said is the 'quality' of the poison? How the hell does that happen?

That sounds weird indeed. Let's just say, that there should be weaker and stronger poisons. [Just like in real life..]
Oh, and the idea is good, I like it. [IIRC we've talked about this before, but ah well.]

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:56:00 am »

The only way Quality would be involved in poison is two

1) If "Diluting" was involved
or
2) If Breeding was involved

Or both...

Otherwise it is just different kinds of poisons... though the cost should be based on rarity and PARTIALLY danger... afterall... a non-deadly poison that paralyzes someone for a day is more valuable in my mind then one that simply kills them

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 01:04:20 pm »

Poisoned weapon traps?  I could see kobolds using traps like this - maybe not a 10-weapon-and-a-stone-mechanism dwarven weapon trap, but a few 1-poisoned-copper-weapon-and-a-wooden-mechanism traps wouldn't be bad. 

Differentiate the wooden trap by making it disassemble after use, whereas dwarven traps just need to be cleaned.

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 01:08:29 pm »

It would also be nice to add a few new poison effects. Right now, poisons can only stun or paralyze. I would like to see some that could cause nausea, extreme pain, or uncontrollable bleeding.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 01:26:17 pm »

I could be wrong, but I think all of these are planned for the next release.  Along with disease.

But yeah, poisons are awesome.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 06:45:42 pm »

Poisoned weapon traps?  I could see kobolds using traps like this - maybe not a 10-weapon-and-a-stone-mechanism dwarven weapon trap, but a few 1-poisoned-copper-weapon-and-a-wooden-mechanism traps wouldn't be bad. 

Differentiate the wooden trap by making it disassemble after use, whereas dwarven traps just need to be cleaned.

Mischevious / "thievish" creatures should also use poisoned weapons in the vanilla game.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 01:05:01 am »

I propose besides poisoned weapons, let us make poisoned food to kill noblesvermin...

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 01:35:35 am »

I just want general imbuing of weapons, like:

Person - "I have made harpoon rounds their special purposes: hunting, and reeling it in, or the ninja swinging action, et cetera"

Person0 - "I hope this sword ( made for disarming ) works"

Person Epic - " I modified this crossbow to shoot 150 cal Explosive Piercing Rounds"

??? - "This sword is made with fire salts, thus setting fire to what it slices."

Yiff - "I spliced my soul with my spouse, we are now connected by mind and soul, it is hard to think lewd thoughts now, need to develop some develop some privacy"

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »

Person Epic - " I modified this crossbow to shoot 150 cal Explosive Piercing Rounds"

This is one of the most awesome statements ever.  ;D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 09:23:26 pm »

The only way Quality would be involved in poison is two

1) If "Diluting" was involved
or
2) If Breeding was involved
Or the reverse, if you must refine the poison or alter it in some way to turn it into a usable form.

As opposed to poison-arrow frogs, iirc.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: [1] 2