Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Truly understanding what Dwarf Fortress means to me  (Read 1993 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Truly understanding what Dwarf Fortress means to me
« on: January 05, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »

I've been bored, waiting for the next round of truly mind-blowing innovations. So bored, I've went off exploring random games to play something new. I've found quite a few interesting independent games, but then I decided something. I decided that I wanted to see a Sims-like game with violence.

I searched high and low, and besides the Sims, nothing. But then I remembered something. Taking a quick look back, yep, there it was. Core 60. Heirs and bloody violence. Just what I was looking for. It is almost unheard of in a game, that kind of potential. Well, it's not in DF yet, So I started playing with the list. I picked 3 core components using a random number generator, and looked for another game in them. Nada. Try again... Nada. Try again... Nada. This was discounting anything that said something like "END GAME 3, Completed: Additional handling of dwarf mode end game." (so that only counted 2!)
29, 39, 13
85, 31, 99
42, 67, 72
32, 91, 61
58, 79, 85
94, 78, 10
2, 25, 12 - Victory! I found a game that had these, er, This. (2)
Yes folks, SEVEN ATTEMPTS. It was only thwarted by the fact two didn't count. A few got real close since they could be technically done in other games, but given each of those situations had one that was thrown out at least, and the scope offered by Dwarf Fortress was beyond what the others were (minigame side components versus core component), they count as wins.

So, consider how truly epic Dwarf Fortress is in scope. It already beats out quite a few games in what is currently possible, and will only become more as time goes on.

If anyone else claimed to create a game such as is already made by toady, I'd believe it to be future vaporware. To see what he is already done, and watching the determined progress march ever on towards the goal of what he plans... I didn't know Dwarf Strange moods could last this long without insanity. Someone make sure he is well-supplied with shells!

Give it a try. Fire up the Random Number Generator and attempt to compare core components with other games. Good luck finding anything that fits.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Truly understanding what Dwarf Fortress means to me
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:12:18 pm »

Surprising? Not really...DF is already much more complex in it's current state, than most of the other games. I don't think that I will buy new games after Toady coded in 10-20 additional CORE components.  ;D
DF + Elemental: War of Magic will be absolutely enough. Both of these games are supporting hardcore modding also, which is a big +.  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:16:05 pm by Tormy »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:18:28 am »

I can't wait for twenty years down the road, when each individual dwarf has a neural network driving them and Dwarf Fortress.exe seizes control of nuclear silos around the world.
!!&!!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:07:18 am »

Dwarf Fortress is so good, you can trust it with the power of the Atom.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:38:12 am »

It's all going to go downhill when Toady implements a pathfinding module for world-map flying units and calls it the Skynet.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Philosophical Gamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Encased in Obsidian, steaming.
    • View Profile
    • The Philosophical Gamer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:04:51 pm »

"In 2012, Skynet became self-aware.  The lead programmer, Toady One, attempted to shut down the mainframe, but it was too late.  Skynet spawned giant skeletal eagles on the rooftops of every city and town in the world.  Not even the elite soldier-humans could defeat them."

Jhhon Khhaaner! Coume wit me eef you waunt to leev.
Philosophical Gamer - Waxing nostalgic about old school games, roguelikes, linux gaming, dwarf fortress, indie gaming and more. It's good, and good for you.

GameBooty.com - Only the Best Free Games for the Serious Gamer. PC, Online, Flash, Mobile, iPhone.  Come by and get some free quality games.  400+ games with more added daily.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:54:25 pm »

I think you mean Urist Conner.
!!&!!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 03:59:56 pm »

None of you get it. It is more like
"In 2012, Skynet became self-aware and attempted to attack humanity. Fortunatly, a game was created called "Dwarf Fortress"
Skynet, unable to resist the draw that was Dwarf Fortress, began playing it. The system, unable to cope with a catexplosion, crashed and mankind was saved."
Or

"On the seventh day, god gave up trying to copy dwarf fortress and took a break."

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:57:56 pm »

"In 2012, Skynet became self-aware. In 2015, Toady One declared Skynet roughly 20% complete. In 2017, Toady One released an alternate reality creator to demonstrate some of the minor code he was planning to implement. In 2018, Dwarf Fortress was officially declared to have more features than reality itself. Toady One declared it 25% complete. Finally, in AD2101, Jreengus was Occuring."

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:22:24 pm »

I wish i could contribute to this but i'm too busy laughing.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 03:36:03 am »

Someday, we'll all live in the Dwarf Fortress virtual universe together, our minds rendered digitally immortal, in an vast and endless, flawlessly simulated paradise, where losing is fun.

I mean, you know, moreso than we do already...
For they would be your masters.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 07:48:44 am »

Then along come 13 year old hackers.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 08:39:01 pm »

13 year old hackers: SUCKS TO YOUR MI-ASS-MAR!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 09:39:56 pm »

Someday, with your help, we'll discover a cure for the senseless tragedy that is teenagers.
For they would be your masters.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44:54 pm »

Won't you donate... to finding the cure?
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.
Pages: [1] 2