Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Religions  (Read 8778 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Religions
« on: August 29, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

I'm sure it's going in at some point, but let's discuss it a bit. What do you expect from religion in the game? I can think of a number of things...
  • Religious buildings
    This could be anything from your basic temple, ring of stones etc. up to gigantic cathedrals, ziggurats and whatnot. Impressive ones give you clout and generate lots of happy thoughts. At least to those in the same religion...
  • Religious paraparnelia
    These are used as decoration, and also for use in religious ceremonies. Perhaps seeing a statue or other decoration pertaining to a certain religion will generate extra happy thoughts for followers of that religion? And maybe a bad thought for those opposed to it?
  • Religious functionaries
    You might start out with missionaries arriving at your doorstep, turning into priests, and eventually as your fortress grows (and you allocate resources to them) the religion grows and with a massive enough holy building, you might get the honor of having the Pope or Eldest or Zooul or whatnot (with the associated enormous boost to your clout within the religion.)
  • Different religions
    ...and also different directions within the religion. Even if you've only allowed one religion in, splinter religions could form as mid-range religious officials grow dissatisified with the interpretation of the holy writ and found their own direction.
  • Religious conflict
    This could lead to anything from unhappy thoughts and fistfights between individual dwarves into massive intra-culture wars, pogroms, crusades, and what have you.

Thoughts, comments?
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Re: Religions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »

I loved tyhe saint system in darklands. cio
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »

Saints are definitely something that could go in. Imagine having the venerated relics of saint Kosaksastosh on display in your temple, with dwarves from every kingdom coming to pray (and paying a tithe upon entry...)

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »

Mabye, if it was done right.

I just don't see religion and DF mixing too well.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 05:42:00 pm »

Read the bloats.  Read the Threetoe stories.  Religion WILL be in, and will be a major part of the game.  Less in terms of spellcasting priests though, and more in terms of the Roman Catholic Church's involvements with politics, Aztec demands for sacrifice, holy wars, and the occasional inquisition.

You -might- be able to get some direct divine intervention, but I wouldn't count on it.  Being able to do so is a rare chance, possibly only available with your last breath, and wouldn't be "bonuses to combat", "free food", or "sudden healing", but would rather be "placing a curse on your enemy's family line for 12 generations such that they will be hated and despised by all civilized peoples, forcing them into a life of farming and poverty in the wilderness".

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »

No religion please.
Reality is for people who lack imagination

Telltolin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Miriscus
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>No religion please.</STRONG>

Why not? I think religion would be awesome in DF.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>I'm sure it's going in at some point, but let's discuss it a bit. What do you expect from religion in the game? I can think of a number of things...
  • Religious buildings
    This could be anything from your basic temple, ring of stones etc. up to gigantic cathedrals, ziggurats and whatnot. Impressive ones give you clout and generate lots of happy thoughts. At least to those in the same religion...</STRONG>

Humans and elves might go for that stuff, but the true seat of dwarven religion is the forge.

nerdpride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »

If the dwarves had a randomly generated holy symbol that religious dwarves liked to see, I think that would be awesome.  It would add a whole 'nuther aspect to the game that could be used to increase their happiness!

For example, some deities would be generated with a preference for amulets and green glass.  Dwarves should make green glass amulets to adorn their temples to that particular deity.   Dwarves are happier if their deities are praised, sadder, but not too sad, if they have no adornments for them, especially when the settlement is wealthier.  

Plus, you know what to go for at the start of the game because you know about the deities and which one your settlement likes.  If one deity has an obscene preference, then maybe the payoff for getting it is better (quotas are based on the value of the items offered).

No fluff, no nonsense, no mandates for golden drums, just straightforward dwarven religion that makes everything more peaceful.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Read the bloats.  Read the Threetoe stories.  Religion WILL be in, and will be a major part of the game.  Less in terms of spellcasting priests though, and more in terms of the Roman Catholic Church's involvements with politics, Aztec demands for sacrifice, holy wars, and the occasional inquisition.

You -might- be able to get some direct divine intervention, but I wouldn't count on it.  Being able to do so is a rare chance, possibly only available with your last breath, and wouldn't be "bonuses to combat", "free food", or "sudden healing", but would rather be "placing a curse on your enemy's family line for 12 generations such that they will be hated and despised by all civilized peoples, forcing them into a life of farming and poverty in the wilderness".</STRONG>

Now that kind of religion fits exactly with how I see DF.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 09:56:00 pm »

Don't forget about holy animals.
Holy elephants...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Ryven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fieari:
<STRONG>Read the bloats.  Read the Threetoe stories.  Religion WILL be in, and will be a major part of the game.  Less in terms of spellcasting priests though, and more in terms of the Roman Catholic Church's involvements with politics, Aztec demands for sacrifice, holy wars, and the occasional inquisition.

You -might- be able to get some direct divine intervention, but I wouldn't count on it.  Being able to do so is a rare chance, possibly only available with your last breath, and wouldn't be "bonuses to combat", "free food", or "sudden healing", but would rather be "placing a curse on your enemy's family line for 12 generations such that they will be hated and despised by all civilized peoples, forcing them into a life of farming and poverty in the wilderness".</STRONG>

Moradin cancels Grant priest spells: no divine spellcasters.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 01:51:00 am »

Holy animals? Well, animism would be kinda fun. I can see elves worshipping trees, humans worshipping animals, and dwarves worshipping metal.

I don't see why religion shouldn't go in. It adds great levels of depth to the game in terms of social interaction and social life, not to mention happiness management for your dwarves - and gives you something more to focus on during the game. I'd much rather see religion than something like magic...

And I don't see why dwarves wouldn't be religious. Religion is one of the first things that human cultures have developed, and dwarves in fantasy seem no different in those aspects. There are tons of phenomena in their world that would possibly be surrounded by mysticism.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 01:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Core Xii:
<STRONG>No religion please.</STRONG>

We strongly disagree with this individual. We may hold true to our disbelief in supernaturalism, but it would add something to this game.
Studying real world religions and how they evolve would actually be a tolerable line of work... Memes and Memeplexes do so intirist us.

ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

Varil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 02:26:00 am »

I keep thinking of all the potential(fun!) conflicts that could arise from religion. If your fortress becomes a major religious center, near a highly religious human empire, maybe they could call a crusade on your for preaching heresy? Only if you became huge though. They probably don't have time to worry about every little cult that pops up.

What if you could name a 'major' religion for your fort, which might cause clashes with the primary dwarven civ if the king disagrees with your choice? Again, only likely to be noticed if you have a monstrous cathedral worshiping Cthulu when the King really prefers the Flying Spaghetti Monster. And Armok help you(or not, funny enough) if you try to say that they are actually the same deity!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5