Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: adding more detail  (Read 3618 times)

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
adding more detail
« on: December 23, 2006, 09:45:00 am »

here are some things i've come up with.

every large fortress usually has several injured dwarves. severely injured guys can just lie there for years and years distracting other fully functional dwarves from doing their duty by constant demands of food and water. and generally once they go "red" they never go back. so why don't we make a hospital? a room, toggled from the bed, where dwarves would pile all their wounded. then we might have a new profession - a dwarven doctor! this dude would use alchemist workshop (otherwise used for soap only - what a waste!) to brew some dwarven medicine (not ale), attend to wounded (feeding them and stuff) and generally help them recuperate faster. he will also be essential when the plague strikes down upon the fortress.

my second suggestion is temples. well, maybe not temples but at least some kind of altars. which brings a new type of nobility - priests. though priests might also be a brand new type of their own. so we'll make up a bunch of gods, each standing for some sort of social activity (god of war for all kinds of soldiery, god of fertility for farmers, herders, hunters and all such stuff, god of crafts for all kinds of craft, etc.). for example, the priest of fertility might well come into your fortress accompanying the house Ber representative. then they demand an altar and a small room to live and pray in. their further demands would be somewhat more obligatory than those of nobles, like if you don't fullfill priests demand to create three marble idols to sacrifice to the gods, this may grant bad luck for your farming (vermin, meager harvest, food rot, etc.). on the other hand, if the sacrifice is made properly, gods smile upon you, sending you some goodies (like your cows bring twice as much calves next year).

what do you guys think?

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: adding more detail
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 01:11:00 pm »

Hospital sounds good, but I don't think temples suit with dwarfs. I have always though, that dwarfs like hard work, not something trivial like gods or deitys.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 01:45:00 pm »

Gods are somehwere in the pipeline anyway, i believe. It just may take a while for them to come into being, as it were.

McDaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 06:43:00 pm »

Hmm.. I'd take the doctor as.. How about a Physician Noble?
Requirement: 20 overall dwarves, with 5 bedbound with injuries or dead(This means on dangerous maps he comes pretty much as standard, while you have to WORK to get him on a serene map)
Effect: Speeds up recuperation, also with knowledge of anatshetics meaning that dwarves with bad injuries stay sane for longer, perhaps twice the time, giving hope for recovery.
Quarters: 4x4 Quarters
         2x2 Office
         2x2 Meager Dining Room
He would mandate plants and alcohol, (Best thing for a hurt dwarf)and possibly silk (Bandages)

The gods... Yes they are in the pipeline already. Here's hoping for conflicting gods and religious wars and crusades... DF wouldn't be DF if the a new addition didn't carry a way to get whacked  :)

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »

I'm looking forward to the appearance of religion in the game, but I really hope it's not the boring kind of "gamer religion" that has infected RPG's ever since D&D.  "The god of war helps with battle!  The goddess of agriculture helps with food!  The god of healing helps with the ill!"  Real religion doesn't work like that, and it bothers me that gamer religion is always so simplistic.

I'd like dwarven religion to be confusing and contradictory just like real-world religion is.  Sometimes the gods send signs and sometimes they don't, and even when they do, it's not always clear whom you've pleased and whom you've pissed off.  This kind of tension would suit the world well, and it won't create the "Quick!  Pray to Mars so your soldiers get better hit dice!" mentality that bugs me so much.

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 02:11:00 am »

I agree. I have been an AD&D DM for a long time, and the better DMs made sure that each god also had an oposing god, except for true nutral. So if you please one god too much, you make an enemy of the oposing god. Making use of the gods and their spheres of influence then becomes a balancing act. And in such games, you have to respect the gods of your enemies, even if you dont follow them. I could easily see a DF priest taunting a goblin prisoner about how weak they and their god are, and then having their god send a personal AVATAR to join their next invasion force. Think pit demon times ten! How would you like THAT knocking on your front door? It would laugh at a steam defence! I'm sure Toady would have a field day coming up with nasty things something like that could do. I would.
ho watches those that watch us???

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

Wouldn't it be awesome if the PRNG was an actual deity in the game, and offering sacrifices to it would reset the seed to a new value, such as the current time?

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

Personally, being an atheist, I LIKE the fact there is no religion in DF currently. Dwarves seem more rational than humans or elves. However, I REALLY like the idea of the RNG as a god, if nothing else as like a big "oh shit i totally fucked up my fortress, lava's overflowing, sieges coming...". Pray/sacrifice to the RNG and you may get saved, you may get screwed worse. Oh the possibilities! (a god without moral intent.)

Woodstock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 12:52:00 am »

Hold up! How about the doctor starts out as a "Doctor" but much like the Sheriff, he eventually becomes a Surgeon, then Master Surgeon (just a name, not implying surgery, but could be possible as some sort of healing thing if, say, an unconcious and bleeding dwarf is brought to the "hospital") as more administrator nobles arrive (Mayor, Governor, Baron, etc).

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by herrbdog:
<STRONG>I LIKE the fact there is no religion in DF currently.</STRONG>

If there's no religion, then what are all those idols of?    ;)

g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

ReWolf31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 07:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ookpik:
<STRONG>

If there's no religion, then what are all those idols of?     ;)</STRONG>

Kings/Queens/Leaders? :P

B@.~~~

And so Alor, a wrestler of renown, found himself between a great boar and the wide river.  For six days they struggled, and as the sun descended behind the hills on the evening of the seventh day, Alor finally collapsed in exhaustion.  The boar s

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 09:53:00 am »

you mean dwarves worship their leaders?  :)

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 10:32:00 am »

Personally, I always thought the dwarves might worship the demons, Lovecraft-style.  Sacrifices would give you something to do with wounded dwarves and captured goblins...  ;)

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »

I'd sort of like to be able to chasm some dwarves.

...Hold that thought. I just remembered my nobles.

I'd REALLY like to be able to chasm some dwarves. Especially if I could get something for them, even if it was just angry batmen.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 05:27:00 am »

Since the addition of gods to the game, I was mulling over the idea of sacrificing, and searched and found this thread. I think the idea of gods and worshipping need fleshing out more.

My suggestion:
We should be able to designate sacrificial pits or stockpiles for specific gods
Two types of sacrifice:

• Personal sacrifice - dwarves buy and give their own possessions dedicated to shrine's of their personal god
  • Nominated sacrifice - creatures and items can be designated for sacrifice at a specific shrine, such as have their throat's slit and thrown off a really tall tower, blood for the blood god, diamonds for the diamond god, etc.
    Pages: [1] 2