Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wall Attackers Specifics  (Read 1645 times)

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wall Attackers Specifics
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:29:20 pm »

There have been many threads about sieges and siege tactics in general.  This thread is dedicated to one aspect of sieges: Attacking the wall directly with the intent to destroy it.

Any creature should be able to attack a wall.  Depending on the creatures size, strength and equipment there would be different chances of him breaking that wall.  For instance wood would be very weak and stone strong which would be broken down into categories of their own for different types of wood or stone.

However I'd also like to see a strength bonus for having the wall reinforced from the surrounding walls and even the foundation below it.  So if a player were to simply build a wall on soil it would easily be toppled over. 

Green Dots represent the spots in which the attacked wall gains strength bonus'

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Attackers Specifics
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:35:29 pm »

Yep I made a topic about this a while ago... but that is another story.

The goal was that 1 layer walls could be knocked through with a good enough strike from a powerful being while a 3 layer wall could reasonably stop siege weapons.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:33:51 am »

hehe, so my 3-thick 3-high wall (also embedded 2 units into the bedrock) made completely of cinnabar will ACTUALLY have a purpose other than to look cool and narrow up my entrance?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 01:16:39 am »

Not sure if having an above layer would be much help for a freestanding wall.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 01:38:34 am »

Not sure if having an above layer would be much help for a freestanding wall.

In fact TECHNICALLY it would make the wall more unstable and more likely to topple then a simply thick wall.

then again... a 1 foot high wall is rather easy to climb over.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 04:17:37 am »

Poking a brick out will be harder the more bricks that lie atop it- more normal force multiplied by coefficient of friction, and it'll hold it down more so you can't roll it off either.

Stability issues separate,
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 05:06:47 am »

Poking a brick out will be harder the more bricks that lie atop it- more normal force multiplied by coefficient of friction, and it'll hold it down more so you can't roll it off either.

Stability issues separate,

To an extent.

It is just as easy to poke out a brick out of a 200 mile tall wall as one that is only 2 feet high.

Though I understand what you mean there is a point of diminishing returns (probably could be established as allowed 3d bonuses)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 05:36:34 am »

I'll want to mention the murus gallicus, that Caesar described in De bello Gallico. It consists of an earthen wall with wooden poles in it (much like reinforced concrete). It was particularly annoying, because the Romans couldn't burn it, couldn't break it, and couldn't topple it either.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 07:14:06 am »

Dirt is actually one of the best materials to make a wall out of. The dirt distributes the force of impact and just absorbs siege weapons into itself. Only problem is that in order to stop infantry, it needs to be topped by something, and that is fairly vulnerable.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 08:43:38 am »

I think that having a 200 foot wall is perfectly logical if it's embedded at least one tile beneath ground level.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 02:10:12 pm »

How would the AI choose the spot to break? As is, it methodically breaks everything and that's highly undesirable

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 04:10:38 pm »

Currently building destroyers are not very smart creatures. I suppose any troll that walks near a wall is prey to an instinctive urge to knock it down.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 04:50:22 pm »

Well... Building destroyers currently only destroy doors and pretty much workshops.

As for randomly destroying walls... How many walls do you honestly build are randomly in the middle of nowhere?

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 05:31:26 pm »

Imagine if I encircled my fortress with a wall.

Now a building destroyer with a seige comes, and knocks down a sizable hole in the wall. And then keeps knocking down the wall--all the way around my fort--while I take out a whole bunch of the seigers with drowning chambers and ballistae that would have been rendered ineffective if they had a smarter building destroyer.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 06:28:33 pm »

Currently building destroyers are not very smart creatures. I suppose any troll that walks near a wall is prey to an instinctive urge to knock it down.
"A section of the cave has collapsed!"
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: [1] 2