Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Damn Cats  (Read 2450 times)

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn Cats
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:38:45 pm »

I cant execute them fast enough and sometimes they get adopted.  I hate the scragy things sooo much.  I need a way to get rid of them I dont care if it causes a world wide tantrum spiral I want them gone and gone now.  Keep in mind that alot have been adopted by evil hideous dwarf children.  Any ideas on how to take care of the damn things?

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn Cats
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 09:42:27 pm »

Hahahahaha...ooh.

You think you can stop them?

NEVER, EVER, EVER embark with cats. And if immigrants brings them, DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO GET NEAR THE FORT.

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 09:54:28 pm »

I take one kitten on embark to get rid of vermin and leave them alone otherwise.

By the time my fortress gets other cats, I have maybe ten cats over around 75 dorfs, with two or three adopted. I like to leave the cats alone; I'm a major cat person.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 09:58:29 pm »

You can mod them to die after one year, this will work for the kittens and any new arivals. Those adults that are left tho will still live tho :(
Alternatively...

Code: [Select]

Wher L - is the lever assigned to the offending dwarf with pull on repeat, D-is the door that's set to pet inaccessible, S= spike traps (hooked to lever), and d is the other door that you lock after kitty has come in :)
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:12:45 pm »

Lower their temperature so low they flash freeze to death. That shouldn't affect anyone else whereas death by fire probably will

Or better yet, remove their mouths so they choke to death

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 10:55:02 pm »

Make a pet inaccessible doorway across a major corridor. on either side of the door, have an entrance/exit to a detour. in this detour, have a bridge over a pit of magma/spikes/great distance to fall etc.. at either end of the bridge have pressure plate set to activate by cats (i think you can specify that much, really not sure. if you can't, this will kill all animals.). Restrict traffic in this area.
+ floor
# wall
P pressure plate
D door
G bridge

Code: [Select]
###############
+++++++D+++++++
+++++++D+++++++
#+###########+#
#+PGGGGGGGGGP+#
###############

Animals will follow their owner, when the owner goes through the doors, the pets will then take the passageway instead, setting off the bridge that will retract as they cross it (because of the slight delay). Caution needs to be used in that, if for some reason the passageway is blocked at the point of those doors, the dwarves themselves will path over the bridge and it could be set off by a stray animal.

Note: not my idea. saw it on someones map on the DFMA, can't remember who's.
Magma is overrated.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:34:38 pm »

I generaly never take cats, just this time cause I knew there would be cave spiders all over the place.  I think though that I preffer the vermin to the mangy cats.  I think I may try that out Sneaky Pete, if the situation gets much worse.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 12:15:46 am »

I keep the cats in a cage. Any time I see a kittens notice, they get allocated.

Whenever I see a stray cat or kitten, it's tagged for slaughter.
I also have about 5 butcher shops, three tanneries, and four kitchens to keep up with that and the rest of my livestock. Plus five craftsdwarf workshops and three legendary bone carvers to cope with the byproducts.
I still have a backlog of fat from my first round of livestock.

I even found a processor-friendly way of breeding! Every year or so, I let EVERY adult animal that's not a cat out of it's cage for a season to get pregnant in a mass animal orgy, then stuff them all back in again.
After that, it's dealing with the spam of baby animals and back to letting them out on fours or fives for slaughter.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 12:41:00 pm »

Or just drown them with the help of a Water filling death room! :P
Make it a meeting area, oh, will the little kitties be surprised!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 12:44:20 pm »

I generaly never take cats, just this time cause I knew there would be cave spiders all over the place.  I think though that I preffer the vermin to the mangy cats.  I think I may try that out Sneaky Pete, if the situation gets much worse.
You wanted to kill cave spiders?  That's just stupid.  Why would you kill off a hard to find source of free silk?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 05:13:25 pm »

Because they bite your dwarves?
Magma is overrated.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 05:32:00 pm »

So?  They'll live.  And besides, they're only dwarves.

Also, I've only had one dwarf bitten the entire time I've played the game.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 06:21:37 pm »

Duh, there are cats and cats.
Some cats deserve to live, others are directed for slaughter the moment they are born.
Guess what is the gender of each group  8)
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:14:02 pm »

Nah , they are a god awful menace, I guess Ill just have to live with webs all over my entire fort cuase I've decided to build Pete's animal killing machine.  Webs should help with the ambeince anyways, give it that nice lived in feel.

Now I relize that I could just drop them into a pit with the device and leave them alive, but I hate them so I'm going to make sure they die.  MAybe even causeing a tantrum spiral in which dwarfs die... I fail to see how this is a bad idea, esspecailly with dwarven justice doing a number on the dwarfs I actually like anyways.

The only thing now is where I can put it that won't bother my asthetic senseability.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 12:25:54 am »

Weapon traps spring when unconscious critters fall on them

Alternatively just build an impale'o'matic with a pet blocked door in front of it and the owner set to repeatedly pull the lever on the other side. Cats come to taunt the master with their garbage these days in an effort to spray them with miasma, turn that against them
Pages: [1] 2